+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Monkey's Week long Live Aboard North Bahama's

Underwater Paparazzi sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver's Avatar
    Dive Rite Optima

Re: Monkey's Week long Live Aboard North Bahama's

Quote Originally Posted by mmcauliffe  View Original Post
    It would probably be more of a timing issue. All the liveaboards I've ever been on are on "somewhat" of a schedule. They like to move the boat while everybody is eating lunch so they can be at the next site with enough time to allow everybody to dive the new site at least once before a night dive.

So I guess the answer is, they probably would prefer you not splash in for a three hour dive at 10:00am
    I've been on livaboards before, so I understand the basic gist of how they run things, but this will be my first livaboard trip diving a rebreather, and furthermore, I know that each livaboard company applies their own protocol and can be more or less strict than others.

Believe me, I am a fan of long technical dives, but on trips such as this one where the goal is to do 3 to 5 dives a day, I can't imagine doing a three hour dive, because I know that has a snowballing affect which can limit you on subsequent dives that same day. When I posed the question, I was thinking more along the lines of their acceptance of divers completing 15 to 30 minutes of deco on certain dives.

I basically plan to be shooting lots of pictures this trip, and I would hate to have to leave the water when the bell rings, especially if there's a cooperative subject within my viewfinder at the time.

I kind of knew the answer to my own question, because from my experience, the tip-earning staff aboard livaboards tend to be very accomidating, despite what's printed on the waivers and company website, especially when dealing with instructors and experienced divers.

With all that in mind, my question really should have been, is the staff on board this livaboard militaristic and strict about no-deco limits or are they laid-back and understanding, assuming the dive profiles aren't extreme and don't clash with their scheduled itinerary?

Tim Owens netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage's Avatar

As Monkey explained and Johns note eluded to.... they stay moored to a location all day. They move the boat at night,..... come and go as you wish..., and if you want to go 'off' the path, they have two skiffs....

I can see having to drop setpoint down to 1.0 for the week

RBW Member mmcauliffe is on a distinguished road mmcauliffe is on a distinguished road mmcauliffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sfldiver  View Original Post
    With all that in mind, my question really should have been, is the staff on board this livaboard militaristic and strict about no-deco limits or are they laid-back and understanding, assuming the dive profiles aren't extreme and don't clash with their scheduled itinerary?
    Got it, sorry. That's a good question and I would be interested in the answer as well.

RBW Member mmcauliffe is on a distinguished road mmcauliffe is on a distinguished road mmcauliffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by netmage  View Original Post
    As Monkey explained and Johns note eluded to.... they stay moored to a location all day. They move the boat at night,..... come and go as you wish..., and if you want to go 'off' the path, they have two skiffs....

I can see having to drop setpoint down to 1.0 for the week
    Hey Tim, post #11 would indicate otherwise. Not that it's a big deal to me one way or the other if I went but it might be to others.
    Mike

Moderator ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami's Avatar

Not that I am the authority, but in my discussions with Monkey, he made it sound like the boat anchors in one or two spots per day. So, you can do a single, long dive in the morning, and then a single, long dive in the afternoon (and one at night if you want, etc.) instead of the usual five dives per day kind of thing. I much prefer less dives per day but making them longer. So, I find the idea appealing.

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

I found the crew very accomodating. They seemed to not even ask about the dive plan but rather made sure you signed in and out of the pool and had a buddy with you. The reality was that most of the sites were not that deep and with a 80 cu ft air tank most of the divers could not get much over 45 minutes dive time.

With rebreathers they might need to change slightly and be more conserned with the dive plan especially duration but I am sure Monkey could give them a call and ask for clarification.

John

Underwater Paparazzi sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver's Avatar
    Dive Rite Optima

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaDadMiami  View Original Post
    Not that I am the authority, but in my discussions with Monkey, he made it sound like the boat anchors in one or two spots per day. So, you can do a single, long dive in the morning, and then a single, long dive in the afternoon (and one at night if you want, etc.) instead of the usual five dives per day kind of thing. I much prefer less dives per day but making them longer. So, I find the idea appealing.
    Howard, am I interpreting the subliminal message within your response to imply that you are considering joining us?:)

You can even sleep in every morning before you wake up to go diving!

Tim Owens netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage's Avatar

Howard, am I interpreting the subliminal message within your response to imply that you are considering joining us?:)

You can even sleep in every morning before you wake up to go diving!

This will however factor into the computations of meg vs. optima missed dive time...
    Attached Images

Dive Rite Optima

Quote Originally Posted by netmage  View Original Post
    This will however factor into the computations of meg vs. optima missed dive time...
    Tim, I'm not going to mentioned any names, but of the five rebreather divers out on the boat Saturday afternoon, the Meg was the only one that didn't make it down to the wreck - I suspect the Bahama's trip will follow the same pattern!

I'm not saying, I'm just saying!!!

Head Dishwasher
    Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey's Avatar
    Meg-Pathfinder-Evo +

Tim, I'm not going to mentioned any names, but of the five rebreather divers out on the boat Saturday afternoon, the Meg was the only one that didn't make it down to the wreck - I suspect the Bahama's trip will follow the same pattern!

I'm not saying, I'm just saying!!!
    his issue was scooter related ... NOT MEG RELATED....

and guys.. we have a week to dive... no need to be so overly concerned with profiles... lets jsut chill and go with the flow... its the Bahamas.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 13 ... LastLast