+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Monkey's Week long Live Aboard North Bahama's

Head Dishwasher
    Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey's Avatar
    Meg-Pathfinder-Evo +

Re: Monkey's Week long Live Aboard North Bahama's

here is the plan for the week

Saturday Enjoy dinner ashore on your own prior to boarding at one of Fort Lauderdale's many fine restaurants. If your flight arrives earlier in the day, we will transport you to the Riverfront where you may enjoy shopping, dining, movies, museums, and water taxi rides -- a fun place to spend the afternoon. Embarkation begins at Fort Lauderdale's Port Everglades at 7:00 p.m. on the Nekton Pilot and 8:00 p.m. on the Nekton Rorqual. The Captain's welcome aboard briefing begins shortly after boarding. Note: Port Everglades' tight security restrictions require that our guests be accompanied to the boat by our designated badged ground agents.

Sunday Clear customs in Grand Bahama. Morning and afternoon dives at Indian Cay Reef.

Monday Enjoy dives at Mount Olympus or Scoto Reef followed by afternoon and night dives at our natural aquarium the Sugar Wreck (also inhabited by resident loggerhead turtles).

Tuesday Expect to be greeted by a friendly Green Moray eel during morning dives at Theo's Wreck which is a 230 foot freighter whose keel rest at 130 feet deep. Afternoon reef diving at Shark Junction and optional shore excursion into Port Lucaya by tender.

Wednesday Morning dives at the Gingerbread Grounds. Afternoon cruise to the Wreck of the Hesperus for afternoon and night snorkeling and dives. Highlights of this wreck include thick schools of fish, our own sting-ray city, nurse sharks and huge resident loggerhead turtles.

Thursday Morning dives on Bimini wall. Afternoon and night dives on shallower Bimini reefs. Optional shore excursion into Alice Towne on Bimini, the island that prompted the famous American author "Papa" Ernest Hemingway's famous novel "Islands in the Stream." On Bimini, try bicycling or visiting the "Fountain of Youth".

Friday Reef diving off of Cat Cay including Tuna Alley and Victory Wall. After the night dive, we'll start heading back across the Gulf Stream to Florida (please keep in mind your flight travel plans with regards to the Friday night dive).

Saturday You'll arrive back in Fort Lauderdale at 8:00 am. After clearing U.S. Customs and Immigrations, courtesy vans will transport you to the Fort Lauderdale International Airport or your local hotel. Please schedule flights after noon. For your own safety, please remember the recommended 24 hour waiting period between repetitive diving and flying when booking your flight.

Tim Owens netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage's Avatar

Vaca approved - I'm in..... Reserve me one of the single bunks; otherwise Adrian gets to sleep on the floor....

-Tim

My unit can beat up yours JCdesign97 has much to be proud of JCdesign97 has much to be proud of JCdesign97 has much to be proud of JCdesign97 has much to be proud of JCdesign97 has much to be proud of JCdesign97 has much to be proud of JCdesign97 has much to be proud of JCdesign97 has much to be proud of JCdesign97 has much to be proud of JCdesign97 has much to be proud of JCdesign97 has much to be proud of JCdesign97's Avatar
    Optima

I'm seeing a couple of the usual suspects here ... and since the esteemed Mr. Katerenchuk can't carry the colors of the filthy northeasterners' contingent, I'm just going to have do it for him. :D I'm in on this one - confirmed with James yesterday.

I just saw the itinerary and I'm even more glad I did! I've been to a good number of these sites before (above and below water) and I can't wait to get back ... especially the dive sites now with the CCR. I can attest to the accuracy of the stingrays and huge loggerheads on the Hesperus; and the great diving at some of the other sites in general. Can't wait until September!

Underwater Paparazzi sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver's Avatar
    Dive Rite Optima

Quote Originally Posted by JCdesign97  View Original Post
    I'm seeing a couple of the usual suspects here ... and since the esteemed Mr. Katerenchuk can't carry the colors of the filthy northeasterners' contingent, I'm just going to have do it for him. :D I'm in on this one - confirmed with James yesterday.
    Now the trip's roster is starting to look like one of our Florida S.C.R.U.B.'s dives - One happy disfunctional family! Glad your onboard John!!

Quote Originally Posted by JCdesign97  View Original Post
    I just saw the itinerary and I'm even more glad I did! I've been to a good number of these sites before (above and below water) and I can't wait to get back ... especially the dive sites now with the CCR. I can attest to the accuracy of the stingrays and huge loggerheads on the Hesperus; and the great diving at some of the other sites in general. Can't wait until September!
    It's nice to get a confirmation about the quality of the scheduled dives from someone's who's been to them in person - Thanks John!

I've done most of the dives in the Bimini / Cat Cay a few times times throughout the years, and besides the marine life and abundance of sharks, the turquoise Bahama's water color alone make them worth diving anytime, especially on a rebreather!!

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

John has given some information about the dive sites. I can give a little information on the Operator. I have been on a week trip with them before on one of the sister ships of the same design. If they have not changed their operating procedures then the dive day goes something like this....Dive platform opens early morning (its actually a large platform the width of the ship that moves up and down). It stays open until the ship moves to a new location. You can dive anytime the platform is open. The platform is open whenever the ship is not moving to a new location. Thats morning, afternoon and night. You can go and come back as you wish. There is a white board on the wall on the way down to the dive platform in which you log your in and out of the water times. There is no dive master or crew member assigned to babysit you on your dives. If you want one of the crew to come along you just ask and they will provide a person. You store all you dive equipment on the platform in individual locations/bins for the trip. There are quite spacious tables and rinse buckets a level or two above the dive platform immediatly outside the main salon to maintain and charge cameras. In the salon there are both tables and sofas a large screen tv and a computer for looking at pictures fromt he day of diving. On the top level is ample lounges for sitting in the sun, a shaded area with chairs and a white board for dive briefings and a area to hang wetsuits to dry between dives. There was also a hot tub.

Everyone has their own preferrences but I found the food to be plentiful and good.

I would not hesitate to go on another trip with them as it provided maximum dive time, good accomdations and food with a value price.

John

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Hello Monkey, looks like a very nice trip. Will it be possible to keep the OC divers separate from the CCR divers? Us nature lovers like our nature bubble free for best possible wildlife interaction. Thanks, -Andy

Tim Owens netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silent running  View Original Post
    Hello Monkey, looks like a very nice trip. Will it be possible to keep the OC divers separate from the CCR divers? Us nature lovers like our nature bubble free for best possible wildlife interaction. Thanks, -Andy
    When the dive deck is open, the divers go dive.....

There is no herding of the divers... nor is everyone expected to travel as a pack... I've found it doesn't take long for the fish to re-embrace us once the bubblemakers have left the area, so there is nothing to prevent us from going off on our own.

Underwater Paparazzi sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver's Avatar
    Dive Rite Optima

Quote Originally Posted by jkaterenchuk  View Original Post
    John has given some information about the dive sites. I can give a little information on the Operator. I have been on a week trip with them before on one of the sister ships of the same design. If they have not changed their operating procedures then the dive day goes something like this....Dive platform opens early morning (its actually a large platform the width of the ship that moves up and down). It stays open until the ship moves to a new location. You can dive anytime the platform is open. The platform is open whenever the ship is not moving to a new location. Thats morning, afternoon and night. You can go and come back as you wish. There is a white board on the wall on the way down to the dive platform in which you log your in and out of the water times. There is no dive master or crew member assigned to babysit you on your dives. If you want one of the crew to come along you just ask and they will provide a person. You store all you dive equipment on the platform in individual locations/bins for the trip. There are quite spacious tables and rinse buckets a level or two above the dive platform immediatly outside the main salon to maintain and charge cameras. In the salon there are both tables and sofas a large screen tv and a computer for looking at pictures fromt he day of diving. On the top level is ample lounges for sitting in the sun, a shaded area with chairs and a white board for dive briefings and a area to hang wetsuits to dry between dives. There was also a hot tub.

Everyone has their own preferrences but I found the food to be plentiful and good.

I would not hesitate to go on another trip with them as it provided maximum dive time, good accomdations and food with a value price.

John
    John, thanks for the info, as that is all good stuff to know in advance.

One question, in your experience, will they enforce no-deco guidelines or will they let us do our own thing?

Head Dishwasher
    Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey's Avatar
    Meg-Pathfinder-Evo +

Quote Originally Posted by silent running  View Original Post
    Yes... I have already told the boat captain we need privacy to get close to the animals..

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by sfldiver  View Original Post
    John, thanks for the info, as that is all good stuff to know in advance.

One question, in your experience, will they enforce no-deco guidelines or will they let us do our own thing?
    I really can't answer as at the time I was diving OC single 80 cuft. With five dives a day I could/did go into some light deco on the later dives but they never asked and I did not tell. I used air for the whole week. They could supply Nitrox but it was priced to high and needed to be ordered in advance of the trip and was limited. Most of the others on the trip did 3 dives a day and no deco that I noticed.

I would be surprized if they are not expecting deco dives with a bunch of CCR divers on board.

John

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 ... LastLast