View Poll Results: Which Aftermarket Electronics For The KISS Do You Prefer?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer a full featured setpoint controller like the Hammerhead or Shearwater :D

19 26.03%
  • I prefer the manual control and safety parachute of the DiveDrive offers :D

4 5.48%
  • I prefer different electronics as specified in my post below :D

0 0%
  • Electronics? Take the Simple out of KISS and leave me ... Stupid!

21 28.77%
  • I just want to have HUD :D

29 39.73%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: KISS CCR and aftermarket electronics?

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

KISS CCR and aftermarket electronics?

By now I'm sure most of you intrested in or diving Jetsam's CCRs have probably had a chance to look at the Heliox.com website.

The DiveDrive is the latest iteration of electronics for the Classic KISS. If memory serves me right the Hammerhead has at least been tested in the past, and the Shearwater controller could probably be implemented fairly easily, too.

The DiveDrive retains the manual control entirely, using the solenoid only as a safety parachute should the pO2 drop below 0.4 ata.

The Hammerhead and Shearwater could be used the same way if wanted by selecting a low setpoint, but are mainly designed to operate as electronic setpoint controllers.

Chris and I discussed this at the RB party, my thought is that if you go through all the expense and add all the extra bits, solenoid, hoses etc, you may as well use them.

If you want to have electronics added at all ...

What are your thoughts?

RBW Member Deep Thought is just really nice Deep Thought is just really nice Deep Thought is just really nice Deep Thought is just really nice Deep Thought is just really nice Deep Thought is just really nice Deep Thought is just really nice Deep Thought is just really nice Deep Thought is just really nice Deep Thought's Avatar
    rEvo,Meg,Inspo,Titan,Prism2

SCR's,Optima,MkVI,KISS

Re: KISS CCR and aftermarket electronics?

Interesting site, and no I had not visited the site until I read your post. Missed the display at dema and missed the party leaving one day early Is there a ostrich smile face icon with it's head in the ground? (post here)

Look forward to more information on the products listed on the site, seems to premature to offer products without full description of what they do?

As much as this market is evolving and expanding, not sure how much of the aftermarket equipment is in demand. There seems to be an abundance of new products both in ccr's/scr's and accessories. With all these choices I think the consumers are going to be faced some serious questions;

how much is the base price of various rebreathers
    will the rebreather do all I need or are upgrades necessary
    what is the cost to upgrade my rebreather to do what I want it to do
    why didn't I just buy the right rebreather to suit my needs first

Good news for divers is an abundance of choices, bad news for distributors as the slice of pie is getting slimmer with every new competitor.

The KISS Classic is a fine rebreather as it is designed, and sure it is fun to modify, and supplement things but only to a point. At some point the rebreather manufacture should decide to improve the product to meet customer demand or leave it as is.

I agree if you are going to put a brain in the rebreather, let is do some of the thinking.

It is cool to see all the people involved in new concepts, new design, improvements...who knows this rebreather thing may take off some day
    Last edited by Deep Thought; 2nd November 2005 at 23:28.

Sporty, Spritely KISSer nl_carey is an unknown quantity at this point nl_carey's Avatar

I really, really want a HUD for the unit, but think if you go the electronics route it really should be all the way to get the benefits of stable PO2.
    Then, adding in a deco computer is icing on the cake! I like the idea of a computer able to be plugged into the unit or usable as a deco comp on it's own for OC diving or if you change units in the future...

Classic KISS No. 226 RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark's Avatar
    Classic KISS w. Shearwater GF

This is something that I've thought a lot about recently (I collect my CK in March)

I really like the concept of mCCR but would like a HUD/DIVA. My original plan was to retro fit a Uri HUD and also plumb in my VR3 into one of the cells (by removing one of the KISS displays)

Around the same time, Bruce posted info on his new handset and replacement KISS kidney. The handset displays PPO2 info, depth, time, dill etc as well as integrating a GF deco computer. Apparently there's a complementary HUD for this coming out soon (approx Jan) I really like this combo but you lose the original redundancy of the 3 separate KISS displays, and I achieve the same by adding my VR3 and a stand alone HUD. Although this product isn't in use yet by the public, Shearwater is well established.

THEN Heliox released their product - I don't really know enough about this one to comment. However, I find their implementation a little strange. I'm surprised that they didn't go the whole hog and put in as set point controller rather then the parachute system. Overall, nice concept but there's little known about it in terms of use and reliability.

Then there's the Hammerhead - well established, well made, tried and tested... I'm sure it works great but if I wanted a eCCR I'd probably buy a Meg - that being said, I love their Kevin's DIVA.

All in all, I'm undecided between my original plan in using my VR3 and a HUD or the Shearwater implementation. I'll probably dive my KISS for a few months as stock, and then decide which way I want to go.

Cheers

Rich
    Last edited by RichClark; 3rd November 2005 at 09:12.

not RBW staff. EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Sports kiss, dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by RichClark
    I'll probably dive my KISS for a few months as stock, and then decide which way I want to go.
    I'd say thats a good idea, gives you a chance to judge from experience, rather than sofa speculation (the scourge of the UK diver in winter).

Whats putting me off most of the KISS add-ons is that they actually degrade the redundancy thats already inherent in the 3 display system. The VR mod seems fine, albeit a tad pricey to support Kev's penchant for black shirts.

Personally I think all this development is great, it all adds to the pool of tricks from which we can innovate.

Classic KISS No. 226 RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wreckweasel
    Whats putting me off most of the KISS add-ons is that they actually degrade the redundancy thats already inherent in the 3 display system.
    That's my only reservation with Bruce's Shearwater package.

Quote Originally Posted by wreckweasel
    The VR mod seems fine, albeit a tad pricey to support Kev's penchant for black shirts.

Personally I think all this development is great, it all adds to the pool of tricks from which we can innovate.
    I like my VR3, as as I have it already I figure that I may as well get the most out of it... maximise my investment and all that.

Cheers

Rich

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar

All in all, I'm undecided between my original plan in using my VR3 and a HUD or the Shearwater implementation.
    I hope to have the Sheawater to show you in person by the time you are here...

That might make deciding easier...

Quote Originally Posted by decoweenie
    I hope to have the Sheawater to show you in person by the time you are here...

That might make deciding easier...
    When it gets to March will someone please remind me that I want to dive the unit stock for a few months... either that or confiscate my credit cards!

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar

When it gets to March will someone please remind me that I want to dive the unit stock for a few months... either that or confiscate my credit cards!
    In another word, perhaps I might as well place the order with Shearwater at the same time with Jetsam ? ;)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast