+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Exceeding Interstage Pressure on COPIS

Nailer99 Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith's Avatar
    Megalodon

Exceeding Interstage Pressure on COPIS

OK, so, I'm not doing these dives yet, but I'm working up to it. I know that at a certain depth, somewhere between 270-280 fsw, ambient pressure will overcome the IP on my COPIS, and I won't be able to add 02 any more at that point. When I first asked how to overcome this, I was given the stock answer: "just plug in offboard." Which makes sense. What I'm curious about is the specific details about how those of you that are doing these dives are doing this- do you carry a full 40 cf bottle of 100%, along with an 80 of trimix, and another 80 of eanx? (This question kind of gets into bailout strategies as well, for obvious reasons)
    It occured to me today that one might only need a very small amount of offboard 02 at depth- does anyone use a smaller offboard 02 bottle for this purpose? Like a 6-14cf?

Shearwater Copis Diver Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy's Avatar
    Copis Meg and rEvo III

Evolution

Re: Exceeding Interstage Pressure on COPIS

Hey josh, I was told a 13cf would be plenty... I have a few worthington 13's for sale, if that ends up being what you want then pm me.

g

Gill Envy

Nailer99 Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith's Avatar
    Megalodon

Quote Originally Posted by Gill Envy  View Original Post
    Hey josh, I was told a 13cf would be plenty... I have a few worthington 13's for sale, if that ends up being what you want then pm me.

g
    Thanks, George! I'm curious as to how people might be rigging this, if that's the case- pictures would be appreciated.

RBW Member mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot's Avatar

RBW Member Rob Dobson is on a distinguished road Rob Dobson is on a distinguished road Rob Dobson's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

MEG (COPIS II)

You can just use your rich mix, be it 60%, 80% or O2 (you do already have a LP inflator hose on your BO 1st stages right?). Alternatively you can take a small suit inflator bottle like a 1L and mount that on your rig using something like Shadow Mounts and have that always connected your off-board port.

RBW Member Jim is just really nice Jim is just really nice Jim is just really nice Jim is just really nice Jim is just really nice Jim is just really nice Jim is just really nice Jim is just really nice Jim is just really nice Jim is just really nice Jim's Avatar
    MEG 204

YBOD Classic

......... Or, knowing you are going to exceed the Interstage Pressure on COPIS go for the 'ordinary' Meg ?

RBW Member zoo_diver will become famous soon enough zoo_diver will become famous soon enough zoo_diver will become famous soon enough zoo_diver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim  View Original Post
    ......... Or, knowing you are going to exceed the Interstage Pressure on COPIS go for the 'ordinary' Meg ?
    Ordinary Meg? I don't suppose by chance you are admiting that the COPIS is superior other Megs are you? If I walked into a dive shop and said "Hey, do you have an ordinary Meg?" Would they give me an Apex? :)

COPIS II = Extra-Ordinary Meg

In good fun....

RBW Member zoo_diver will become famous soon enough zoo_diver will become famous soon enough zoo_diver will become famous soon enough zoo_diver's Avatar

[quote=Nailer99;191778]It occured to me today that one might only need a very small amount of offboard 02 at depth- does anyone use a smaller offboard 02 bottle for this purpose? Like a 6-14cf?quote]

In an effort to keep things simple, I would rather not carry an extra bottle. I don't like having extra stuff hanging off of me and it's just one more thing to worry about and that could fail. As you noted above, it is only a small amount. I do the math and plan for the extra gas in my stage/sling.

RBW Member Jim is just really nice Jim is just really nice Jim is just really nice Jim is just really nice Jim is just really nice Jim is just really nice Jim is just really nice Jim is just really nice Jim is just really nice Jim is just really nice Jim's Avatar
    MEG 204

YBOD Classic

Quote Originally Posted by zoo_diver  View Original Post
    Ordinary Meg? I don't suppose by chance you are admiting that the COPIS is superior other Megs are you? If I walked into a dive shop and said "Hey, do you have an ordinary Meg?" Would they give me an Apex? :)

COPIS II = Extra-Ordinary Meg

In good fun....
    And I thought my comment was courting controversy !!

RBW Member mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot's Avatar

I dive a standard Meg, and I don't know much about the COPIS, but wouldn't flying the unit totally manually work in this case? Just press the manual gas bypass for O2 off the onboard O2 bottle? No need to carry offboard O2.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast