+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: KISS Classic in Bonaire

RBW Member darthmuhl has a spectacular aura about darthmuhl has a spectacular aura about darthmuhl has a spectacular aura about darthmuhl has a spectacular aura about darthmuhl has a spectacular aura about darthmuhl's Avatar
    KISS Classic

Azimuth

KISS Classic in Bonaire

I just returned from a weekís diving in Bonaire. 18 out of 22 dives were on my KISS Classic, now equipped with a Shearwater Pursuit and HUD plugged into the loop. I did a few dives with students for which I switched to outdated 20th century technology.
    When I first told people about my plans to bring the rebreather to Bonaire, many asked why bother. Most of the diving is recreational depth, reef diving. This was a shop sponsored, group trip and our diving was confined to recreational dives, but in the two years Iíve been diving the KISS Iíve come to greatly prefer diving closed circuit whenever possible.
    I donít have a great deal of tropical diving experience, but the reefs in Bonaire were stunning- the best Iíve ever seen. It only took me a dive or two to be convinced that the rebreather was the way to dive here. In the warm, clear waters, most days I did 4 dives averaging an hour long on two 13 cu ft tanks and a single scrubber load. My deepest dive was a brief excursion to 140 ft followed by a leisurely return at shallower depths. It was a cheap thrill to venture down into the darker depths and occasionally glance up at my OC buddies cruising in the shallows to make the most of their gas supplies. At the end of the dive I still had plenty of NDL time left after an hour in the water.
    Compared to my previous diving with just PPO2 monitoring and an external computer, the Shearwater Pursuit made diving very easy. It removed any concerns about strictly trying to maintain a constant PPO2. As long as I kept the loop O2 at reasonable levels and watched the NDL limits, everything was fine. The HUD gave me a reliable backup on the PPO2 monitoring and my OC Vytec computer could be tricked into providing backup.
    It was a bit of a hassle taking the unit apart in the evenings and putting it back together in the mornings, but this was more than compensated for by not having to swap tanks during the day and for the freedom to dive without having to worry about gas supply during dives.
    Iíd like to thank Kim Smith and Jetsam for making a beautiful product and Bruce Partridge and Curt McNamee of Shearwater for a computer and electronics that make diving the KISS even better. On Bonaire, Emile von Aesch runs a great rebreather friendly dive operation in Toucan Diving and hooked me up with Walt Stark of Rec Tek Scuba who provided me with scrubber and daily refills on those cute little dil and O2 tanks.

Carl
    Scuba Diving for Middle Aged Woodworkers

RBW Member PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2's Avatar

Re: KISS Classic in Bonaire

Hello,

Thank you for the great dive report. I just got a CK and certification and can't wait to have a trip like that!

When I was diving my Meg I found going back to OC took some getting used to. The bubbles seemed to rattle my entire head for the first dive and 45 minutes to dry moutyh. Quite and moist is the way to go!

-p
    Paul's first law states that the safety of an activity is determined by how forgiving of mistakes the activity is.

Paul's second law states that the difference between an adventurer and an explorer is whether the doing or the learning comes first.

"Don't be surprised if at the center of every hurricane in your life is an "I"." --paul gernhardt

RBW Member wearypanda has a spectacular aura about wearypanda has a spectacular aura about wearypanda has a spectacular aura about wearypanda has a spectacular aura about wearypanda has a spectacular aura about wearypanda's Avatar

Thanks for a great report. I am going out to Bonaire with my family in October. I am now convinced that taking my Pelagian is a good idea.

From hat I can make out Walt does not hiew 3ltr Inspo tanks, just 4 litre ones. Is that your understaning too?

Supporting Member Black Jack is on a distinguished road Black Jack is on a distinguished road Black Jack's Avatar
    Prism II

rEvo II, KISS, LARV, rEvo hCCR

Quote Originally Posted by wearypanda  View Original Post
    Thanks for a great report. I am going out to Bonaire with my family in October. I am now convinced that taking my Pelagian is a good idea.

From hat I can make out Walt does not hiew 3ltr Inspo tanks, just 4 litre ones. Is that your understaning too?
    Great trip, I took my CK last fall to Bonaire for a week and had a blast albiet with one old style display flooding . Walt is the man for sorb and fills in Bonaire and has hooked me up for a couple of years down there.

I think you are referring to the 2l and 3l cylinders? If so, I only remember seeing the 3l cylinders on his unit but I'm sure he will answer directly. I'm looking forward to going again this year with my rEvo!

Regards,

Ed
    "Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum."
    Black Jack Tech Diving

Supporting Member Black Jack is on a distinguished road Black Jack is on a distinguished road Black Jack's Avatar
    Prism II

rEvo II, KISS, LARV, rEvo hCCR

"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum."
    Black Jack Tech Diving

RBW Member darthmuhl has a spectacular aura about darthmuhl has a spectacular aura about darthmuhl has a spectacular aura about darthmuhl has a spectacular aura about darthmuhl has a spectacular aura about darthmuhl's Avatar
    KISS Classic

Azimuth

Quote Originally Posted by PaulTG2  View Original Post
    Hello,

Thank you for the great dive report. I just got a CK and certification and can't wait to have a trip like that!

When I was diving my Meg I found going back to OC took some getting used to. The bubbles seemed to rattle my entire head for the first dive and 45 minutes to dry moutyh. Quite and moist is the way to go!

-p
    One day I switched from CC to OC after two 1 hour dives. I had students doing AOW dives. The OC was all you describe and at the end of the last dive I found myself shivering in a 3m suit in 81 deg F water.
    Yes, I'm a wimp.
    I have to confess that it's still easier to slap together an OC setup for a quick dive, but I don't enjoy the diving as much.

Carl

RBW Member mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot's Avatar

Nice report! I'm headed to Bonaire for a week in September, and like you, I'm going with a group of OC recreational divers. After hearing these posts from you and Netmage, I'm defineatly going to take my Meg.

Just a few questions if you don't mind?

1. Any problems with travel in and out with the RB?
    2. I'm assuming you rented tanks and purchased sorb there?
    3. Anything to understand with security of the unit?
    4. What would you do different, if anything, the next time you go with your RB to Bonaire?

Thanks in advance. This really helps others do it right the first time! :D

KISS Classic

Azimuth

Quote Originally Posted by mempilot  View Original Post
    Nice report! I'm headed to Bonaire for a week in September, and like you, I'm going with a group of OC recreational divers. After hearing these posts from you and Netmage, I'm defineatly going to take my Meg.

Just a few questions if you don't mind?

1. Any problems with travel in and out with the Rebreather?
    2. I'm assuming you rented tanks and purchased sorb there?
    3. Anything to understand with security of the unit?
    4. What would you do different, if anything, the next time you go with your Rebreather to Bonaire?

Thanks in advance. This really helps others do it right the first time! :D
    1) No problems. I stripped it down to the case, head and scrubber canister and packed that and a wing into a Storm Case that weighed <50lbs.
    I put a note in the case for TSA describing what it was and thanking them for doing their job. I left the case unlocked, and got a note indicating that they had inspected the case.
    I had a second checked suitcase with most of my other diving stuff in it and some clothing. I used a small Oxycheq travel back plate for both OC and CC diving.Also <50lbs.
    I had a small suitcase for carry-on and a reg bag as my "personal item".
    These I stuffed with the heavier stuff: 4 regs, hoses, computers, lights.
    On the return, TSA got mildly excited about my canister HID light in the carry-on suitcase.

2) Sorb, rebreather tanks, and fills were supplied by Walt Stark of Rec Tek Scuba. For a week this cost around $275.
    I rented a 40 cu ft bailout tank from Toucan Diving, but I'm sure Walt had these as well.

3) I'm not sure what you mean by this. Much of the expensive stuff was in my carry-on. I watched the checked bags as much as I could, but didn't lock the storm case. Next time I might. The Bonaire airport is a little bit disorganized, but they didn't really search anything that I could see. Leave plenty of time on departure.

4) I actually had enough clothes this time. Maybe next time, I'll just take a loin cloth and sandals.
    I neglected to check my save-a-dive O ring kit, and missed one boat dive when a #12 O ring blew on a pressure gauge hose. So I missed dive and spent the time chatting with the young, Dutch DM/Instructor wearing a rather small bikini who was minding the boat. Life can be cruel if you're unprepared.

BTW, a lot of people questioned why we wanted to do boat dives on Bonaire. We did two boat dives in the morning and shore dives in the afternoon. It was very convenient diving off a boat and we got to dive sites in the north of the island and on Klein Bonaire that were difficult or impossible to reach by car.

Carl

RBW Member mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot's Avatar

Carl,

Perfect! Thanks!

Eric

Closed Account Art Greenberg will become famous soon enough Art Greenberg will become famous soon enough Art Greenberg will become famous soon enough Art Greenberg's Avatar
    Classic KISS

Quote Originally Posted by darthmuhl  View Original Post
    1) No problems. I stripped it down to the case, head and scrubber canister and packed that and a wing into a Storm Case that weighed <50lbs.
    I put a note in the case for TSA describing what it was and thanking them for doing their job. I left the case unlocked, and got a note indicating that they had inspected the case.
    I had a second checked suitcase with most of my other diving stuff in it and some clothing. I used a small Oxycheq travel back plate for both OC and CC diving.Also <50lbs.
    I had a small suitcase for carry-on and a reg bag as my "personal item".
    These I stuffed with the heavier stuff: 4 regs, hoses, computers, lights.
    On the return, TSA got mildly excited about my canister HID light in the carry-on suitcase.
    This is very similar to the strategy we employed going to Grand Cayman in April. Two checked pieces, one a fish tote with the rebreather and the other a piece of ordinary luggage. Both under 50 pounds. Lots of light stuff in the tote (clothing) as padding, and light stuff in the suitcase. Heaviest things (including steel backplate) in the carry-on, which came to almost 50 pounds as well.

There were three of us pretty much packed the same way. Backplate in the carry-on attracted attention in both directions in my case. One of the others in our party had absolutely zero issues. Guess I picked the wrong line.

2) Sorb, rebreather tanks, and fills were supplied by Walt Stark of Rec Tek Scuba. For a week this cost around $275. I rented a 40 cu ft bailout tank from Toucan Diving, but I'm sure Walt had these as well.

3) I'm not sure what you mean by this. Much of the expensive stuff was in my carry-on. I watched the checked bags as much as I could, but didn't lock the storm case. Next time I might. The Bonaire airport is a little bit disorganized, but they didn't really search anything that I could see. Leave plenty of time on departure.
    Of course, if you lock any checked pieces, use TSA approved locks. That at least will give you the illusion of security.

4)I actually had enough clothes this time. Maybe next time, I'll just take a loin cloth and sandals.
    Please don't do this on any trip when I'm along. My sensibilities are easily offended. 8-)
    Last edited by Art Greenberg; 6th June 2008 at 16:29. Reason: Improper quote dilineation.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast