+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bikini Atoll, how to save ops?

RBW Member nskdrs is just really nice nskdrs is just really nice nskdrs is just really nice nskdrs is just really nice nskdrs is just really nice nskdrs is just really nice nskdrs is just really nice nskdrs is just really nice nskdrs is just really nice nskdrs's Avatar
    RB80

KISS CK

Bikini Atoll, how to save ops?

Mind you, I have no financial interests in this,
    its just I would love to see it back on the map also for people who don't own a megayacht and enough pocketmoney to pay for fuel.

Sad news:

Bikini Dive/Tourism Information

I think it may make sense if those of you who have been there give an honest an constructive feedback to Jack Niedenthal via PM or in this thread,
    just to give better scale for possible further evaluation.

I've been there twice now, left me deeply impressed,
    I believe this diveops should re-open in 2009,
    maybe it needs new input and reevaluation of the infrastructure, nature of dive-ops, etc...also better focus on wealthy Tech-customers.

I firmly believe there would be customers to pay more then the present rates,
    just needs some adjustments IMHO.

Lately I think, diveops were stuck in some kind of paradoxon,
    some of my fellow divebuddies felt like being on a militarybase,
    but,
    I also was impressed by the high safetymargins established there to prevent accidents and DCI-hits,
    I think it was the best one could get when diving with air two times a day to 50m on this remote atoll.

Diving sure needs organisation there, so waht could be done better from your perspective.

Best,
    Hoffi
    Last edited by nskdrs; 29th May 2008 at 07:26.

All The Gear, No Idea windymiller has a spectacular aura about windymiller has a spectacular aura about windymiller has a spectacular aura about windymiller has a spectacular aura about windymiller has a spectacular aura about windymiller has a spectacular aura about windymiller's Avatar

Re: Bikini Atoll, how to save ops?

SH1T!!! I was going next year.....time to look for another holiday!

Bubble free by choice steveharriss is a jewel in the rough steveharriss is a jewel in the rough steveharriss is a jewel in the rough steveharriss is a jewel in the rough steveharriss is a jewel in the rough steveharriss is a jewel in the rough steveharriss is a jewel in the rough steveharriss's Avatar
    rEvo

Meg

From what I've read it appears that the issue isn't the dive operation per se, but the logistics of getting the divers there with a less than satisfactory air service.

Higher prices for the diving won't resolve this and I imagine there is little enthusiasm in the Marshall Islands on spending money they don't have to support divers from far richer Countries getting out to Bikini to dive some bent metal.

It's sad as it was on my list of must do diving.

Tim Owens netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage's Avatar

The problems stem from Air Marshall....

Short of Continental taking over or staging viable puddle jumper service for weekly charters or finding a viable cruise offering to get you there and back from someplace Continental has stable service, I think we're out of luck...

rEvo combat swimmer fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman's Avatar
    rEvo

Orca

Think big--
    We charter a plane from Honalulu or some other place we can get a bunch of people to.

We could take our RB, tanks of He, perhaps O2--that might be harder. We would have to make a deal with the dive op to let us dive our own profiles, perhaps rent one of those portable chambers.

Does anyone know the largest plan that can land on Bikini? How long is the runway and is there fuel there.

What is the closest easyest major airport that we could get to to get a resonable number of people there.

Perhaps have a live aboard meet us there...

It could certainly bring some money in to the island.

Perhaps get some sort of natioal geo co sponsorship and a tv episode as well...

Yes I have too much time on my hands.

RBW Member mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot's Avatar

That's a 4.5 to 5.0 hour flight from Honolulu in a B737-800. We fly through Majuro quite a bit on our way west to Guam and Japan. It takes an ETOPS qualified aircraft if chartered from a commercial air carrier. If privately chartered from a standard charter operator you have a few more options on aircraft, but none would be cheap or economical.

That being said, you are looking at very big corporate jets, or at least an ETOPS B737NG to get you there. At many thousands of dollars an hour, you'd have to put quite a few wealthy divers on board to make a private charter work for you. It can be done, and our company can and has done it. :D

Private charter, whether from an airline or other operater, ain't cheap! :D

BTW, the only way to BII is via Majuro. Any plane small enough to land at Bikini is too small to get there from anywhere else than Majuro.

Quote Originally Posted by fireman  View Original Post
    Think big--
    We charter a plane from Honalulu or some other place we can get a bunch of people to.

We could take our Rebreather, tanks of He, perhaps O2--that might be harder. We would have to make a deal with the dive op to let us dive our own profiles, perhaps rent one of those portable chambers.

Does anyone know the largest plan that can land on Bikini? How long is the runway and is there fuel there.

What is the closest easyest major airport that we could get to to get a resonable number of people there.

Last edited by mempilot; 29th May 2008 at 18:48.

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by fireman  View Original Post
    Think big--

We could take our Rebreather, tanks of He, perhaps O2--that might be harder. We would have to make a deal with the dive op to let us dive our own profiles, perhaps rent one of those portable chambers.

Maybe you should start training to do rebreather assisted parachute jumps from 35000 ft.:D Then you do not have to worry about the runway length.

John

Supporting Member Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli's Avatar
    rEvoMicro w.hybrid&dsix stand

rEvoII fullsize

i wonder how far it is by boat from maujaro??
    Marv

fidelis Ad Mortem

Closed Account lolwhat is an unknown quantity at this point lolwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kybrt  View Original Post
    i wonder how far it is by boat from maujaro??
    Looks like 600 miles or so.

Image:Marshall islands-map.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

rEvo combat swimmer fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman's Avatar
    rEvo

Orca

Well I have jumped out of a helocopter from about 15ft with OC gear, at night in the winter in chicago. So for a chance to dive Bikini, I would try from 35000...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast