+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dodgy nashers ( Root canal needed)

RBW Member diveladydive is on a distinguished road diveladydive is on a distinguished road diveladydive's Avatar

Re: Dodgy nashers ( Root canal needed)

Quote Originally Posted by divelermentov  View Original Post
    well this depends if your r (oot) c (anal) t (reatment) was done according to DIR standards or not.
    If not well bad news but this will life long increase the chance off upper jaw bends due to reverse sealer diffusion ... bla,blah, blah ....

No but serious now,
    the possible dental problem is if there is any airfilled space left, which could cause a squeeze or worse a reverse squeeze.
    Assuming that there is no bony pathology, the root canal has been completely obliterated and the provisional filling ( in teh top paert of teh tooth - you now that bit which stops all teh food getting stuck in) is done properly than there is little chance of a squeeze anyway.
    However saying this some root canal treated teeth or teeth to be root canal treated present with significantly large iner-bony leasons. If such leason is present you could experience some squeeze, which can be a bit nippy at least to say.
    The best person to evaluate this is your dentist or endodontist.

Disclaimer: I am not an endodontist but only a general tooth puller, furthermore I have been known to take the piss out of everyone and to have personal pleasure in the suffering of others ( ask Ceebee)

Therefore this advise has to be talen with a grain of salt or more appropriately with a couple of nurofen.

I just came back from 2 weeks of fairly deep dives in the Caymans with a bad bridge pumping away... added a bit of spice to the drops- not to mention the temp on the OTHER side which was being held in with the wrong cement...

Great color, lousy teeth- guess beauty isn't everything

Just had a nice bit of dental surgery & will be hitting the water post one week given dental clearance (at this point, the word "post" creates PTSD-like symptoms....)

But seriously, I'll be checking in with a diving periodontist recommended by the head of my agency re: timelines for more stuff.... & would have checked in this round if I had a clue they were going to duct tape me to the seat & rush in a perio- I'm kind of hard to nail down, so to speak

I.e, I agree- check in with a diving dentist if you have time.. my regular dentist is all too happy to give me a copy of my chart, x-rays, etc. for the outside opinion & gave me a "talking to" about not letting him know I can get a diving dentist on board.

--& If your psychological problems may be a bit overwhelming, check in with a doc like me before hitting the water..... I guess this goes for all physical/psychological/psychiatric/etc. problems. Don't mean to start a new thread, just a remark. :)

Dive safe,
    Peri
    Last edited by diveladydive; 4th June 2008 at 07:13.

Acme Serpentine Lubricant lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland's Avatar

I had an old mercury filling replaced the week before a trip, absolute agony during the ascents. It felt like being battered round the head with a 2 by 4. If your dentist doesn't know about diving then make sure he does before he starts! And don't go on a friday afternoon :)

At the risk of sounding like a heretic, I was told I'd need RCT for an abcess that I was in a massive amount of pain with, so bad I couldn't drive. Codeine wasn't making a dent in it so the dentist suggested I try the Chinese doctor round the corner. He stuck a couple of needles in me, pain went within minutes never to return, four years later I've still not had the RCT. I'm a paid up member of Sceptics Anonymous so it was probably coincidence but it cost me 40quid instead of 500 so I'll walk around chanting with leeches on my schlong if it saves me 400quid :D

Cheers,

Stuart

Classic Kiss diver Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty's Avatar
    Classic Kiss 165

As long as there are no air voids in your dental work I can't see a problem. Personally I'd have a root canal done and dive the same day (once the numbness had worn off!). At least if there IS a gas void in it and your tooth explodes you can go back and complain more easily :)
    I had a big filling replaced on a molar tooth a few days ago - I always mention to my dentist that I need to avoid air spaces and why. Interestingly when deciding on white vs amalgam filling he said that the amalgam was probably a bit less likely to have any air voids in it as well as lasting longer so that's what I went for. (not dived since though!)

Neil

I did a 200 ft. dive once a couple days after oral surgery, still had stitches in my gums. Went in a day or two later to have the stitches pulled & they were already gone. Dentist couldn't believe it. I'm of the opinion that if you feel OK and no chance of trapped air, go for it!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2