+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Deceased Members Threads and Posts?

RBW Member mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot's Avatar

Deceased Members Threads and Posts?

Doesn't RBW do anything to a deceased member's profile, or do they just leave it open and active. Maybe I'm being sensitive here, but seeing unknowing new members reply to or quote deceased members posts is unnerving.

Ladies bring a plate Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve's Avatar

Re: Deceased Members Threads and Posts?

This is sad but true......After it happens to you a few more times you will get used to it.
    WARNING: I contain occasional coarse language, extreme sexual references, nudity, and adult themes, which may offend some people - Usually churchy types.

Subsea Systems koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai's Avatar

Yep, you dive rebreathers, you get used to your friends dying......

Really, what could be done?
    1) Delete all their posts? - No, serves no porpoise
    2) Put a respectful comment as a header on their posts? - No, lame
    3) Put a big red cross through their avatar with the word IDIOT underneath -Yeah!!

Cheers,
    Jason.

RBW Member mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by koputai  View Original Post
    Yep, you dive rebreathers, you get used to your friends dying......

Really, what could be done?
    1) Delete all their posts? - No, serves no porpoise
    2) Put a respectful comment as a header on their posts? - No, lame
    3) Put a big red cross through their avatar with the word IDIOT underneath -Yeah!!

Cheers,
    Jason.

Thanks for the morbid and insensitive post.

Quote Originally Posted by koputai  View Original Post
    I'm not directing this only at you because there are many posts that effectively label those who've died on RBs as "idiots". They are "weak", or "stupid", or "undisciplined", or "unskilled".

Of course, it's very unfortunate that there are some on the accident list that seem to have committed very basic errors, either in judgment or in preparation. These are easiest to label. We, being a rather macho group, mostly pick labels that put ourselves above "them". When we do this, of course, we don't disclose all the dives we've done that have tempted fate - the dives we weren't prepared for, or before which we skipped checklists, or failed to prebeathe, or ... We could probably list a dozen or so things we've missed that, if the right circumstances unfold, would put us on the "idiots" list.

I would suggest you read "Fooled by Randomness". It's basic reading for me in my profession, but for those who think they are "above the fray", or "a cut above", it might prove educational. Just because you are not on "the list" (and others are) does not mean you have some innate quality separating you from them.

I hope that's sobering to you. I hope that terrifies you into more predive checks, more called dives, even perhaps more training. More than anything, I hope it pushes you toward preparing and bailing to a known safe gas source, very instinctively, should anything hit you as it hit those who've perished.

Just because you are alive and they have fallen does not mean you are a better diver. It just means you have another chance.

All of the above applies to me too.

Cheers
    Last edited by UWSojourner; 24th May 2008 at 04:52.

Ladies bring a plate Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve's Avatar

Jason doesn't need me to post on his behalf but I think you guys are missing a difference in the way Aussies look at things compared to you guys. In particular a little thing called irony. Aside from having several friends die diving, Jason, as it turns out, is fairly unique. He has died diving due to being an idiot. I think he gets "it".
    WARNING: I contain occasional coarse language, extreme sexual references, nudity, and adult themes, which may offend some people - Usually churchy types.

Subsea Systems koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UWSojourner  View Original Post
    label those who've died on RBs as "idiots". They are "weak", or "stupid", or "undisciplined", or "unskilled".
    No, they're "human", and that's my point. Maybe we should ALL have the "Idiot" label below our avatar just for diving these machines. Our departed brothers can have "Dead Idiot".

Steve is right, we Aussies don't get all sloppy and 'hand on heart' like Americans, we tend to use irony and quite regularly, sarcasm.

When we do this, of course, we don't disclose all the dives we've done that have tempted fate - the dives we weren't prepared for, or before which we skipped checklists, or failed to prebeathe, or ... We could probably list a dozen or so things we've missed that, if the right circumstances unfold, would put us on the "idiots" list.
    I haven't pointed this article out for a few years, but I think there must be 10x as many Rebreather divers out there now, so might be worth a read for some.
    Deepdiving.net : Incident
    I'm an idiot, learn from me.

Cheers,
    Jason.
    Last edited by koputai; 23rd May 2008 at 07:10.

RBW Member diverem is on a distinguished road diverem is on a distinguished road diverem's Avatar
    rEvo III Micro FT RMS

Why not just put "(deceased)" under their profile name? This means we can still read all their posts but at the same time make people aware so nothing is said to them (privately or publicly) that they can't reply to or defend.

RBW Member Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy's Avatar

You can't do it right either way so I'd opt for a simple factual text. That could be 'deceased' or a less precise 'inactive'.
    Inactive then could also be used for people when they voluntarily stop diving and don't want to visit the forums any longer. (see it as retirement) or even for members that are no longer allowed to post on this board. Inactive then simple means be carefull what (and wether) you write as you can't expect a response.

Classic Kiss diver Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty's Avatar
    Classic Kiss 165

I think it would be well worth having some notification of a member being deceased on their avatar/profile, or alternatively remove the ability to PM or email them from their profile.
    My main concern is that some deceased members email accounts have been continued to be used by their bereaved relatives (not unreasonably), and it would be unfortunate if someone emailed them without realising the situation, possibly some considerable time later.
    Removing deceased members' posts/threads would be a shame, as this may be a legacy they leave us, some of which may even be information which could prevent further incidents.

Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast