+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Malaria drugs and diving

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Re: Malaria drugs and diving

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I can't take doxy as it gives me the mother of all head aches. Even though I have had malaria and dengue I don't take anything now when I travel. I have a course of drugs to take if I get malaria but just use Bushman's Tropical Strength to keep the evil little buggers away.
    Hello Pete, like Steve, I don't bother with malaria meds and use insect repellent instead. Will you be spending most of your time on a liveaboard or on land? If you are going to be on a boat most of the time your risk will be minimal as the Anopholes mosquito only comes out at dusk. If you are going to be mostly on land and don't have a well protected place to sleep, then it would be a good idea. The newest med which seems to have the gotten the best reviews is Malarone, but all meds seem to have some side effects. Sun sensitivity is the killer for me as I'm already a pale face, so that rules out several of them. Supposedly Malarone can cause some gastro-intestinal upset which, if you ask me, is not something I'd like dealing with in the tropics as there is already GI distress that comes with getting used to new food. I've spent months in PNG and never had a problem and was advised to avoid them by all of the residents I know in the dive industry. I have a friend whose parents spent almost a decade in PNG and never took any meds and avoided getting malaria by making sure they slept in well screened places or used a mosquito net and the occaisional application of repellent.-Andy

Ladies bring a plate Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve's Avatar

Personally Dengue scares me a hell of a lot more than Malaria. I have had Dengue twice and the pain is pretty amazing, the second time particularly so. I was crook as hell and was luckily being treated in a Naval hospital that had diligent staff. I was mildly (subjective term IMO) haemorrhaging from my mouth and eyes and wished I was dead. Unlike the mosquitoes that cause malaria, Aedes mosquitoes bite during the day and are common indoors.

I wash my clothes with some toxic stuff I get from the travel medicine place TVMC and this works well.
    WARNING: I contain occasional coarse language, extreme sexual references, nudity, and adult themes, which may offend some people - Usually churchy types.

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    Personally Dengue scares me a hell of a lot more than Malaria. I have had Dengue twice and the pain is pretty amazing, the second time particularly so. I was crook as hell and was luckily being treated in a Naval hospital that had diligent staff. I was mildly (subjective term IMO) haemorrhaging from my mouth and eyes and wished I was dead. Unlike the mosquitoes that cause malaria, Aedes mosquitoes bite during the day and are common indoors.

I wash my clothes with some toxic stuff I get from the travel medicine place TVMC and this works well.
    Hello Steve, Ugh! Dengue! Argh! Sorry to hear that. If I'm not mistaken, Dengue does not have a prophilaxis med yet, so insect repellent and bottled water is the best defense. Is this correct?-Andy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2