+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Side mount CCR - options/advice

Custom Title Allowed! Gadget will become famous soon enough Gadget will become famous soon enough Gadget will become famous soon enough Gadget will become famous soon enough Gadget's Avatar

Re: Side mount CCR - options/advice

hi dr mike

have heard via the grape vine that curt bowen has come up with a way of sidemounting his meg off his armadillo harness he may be someone worth talking to.

EBT called me stroppy! Jordan will become famous soon enough Jordan will become famous soon enough Jordan will become famous soon enough Jordan's Avatar

I think Rodney Nairne has his own as well...Lee Gibson too
    Last edited by Jordan; 4th November 2005 at 18:42. Reason: adding another name

Cave Meg jitka is an unknown quantity at this point jitka's Avatar

Jakub Rehacek of Golem Gear fame (www.golemgear.com) and Curt Bowen (www.advanceddivermagazine.com) started sidemounting their Megs on Armadillo sidemount rig and it's been more than a year and dozens of dives since they've been successfully diving this combination. Not only in small caves but also as a perfect deep diving and bailout support rig.
    Also Brett Hemphill - the Armadillo pioneer and one of the Florida prominent and yet humble cave explorers dives his KISS Armadillo sidemounted.
    Brett can be reached thru the www.TampaAdvanturesports.com
    There will be an opportunity to see and try out the Armadillo sidemount rb at the upcoming NACD (National Association for Cave Diving) Conference in Gainesville, Florida on November 11-13. See http://safecavediving.com/

So this is an info from somebody who dives with sidemounted rb friends, and yet I mostly fit along in with my backmount Meg...!

Cheers,

Jitka

Deep Cave Explorer DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jitka
    Jakub Rehacek of Golem Gear fame and Curt Bowen started sidemounting their Megs on Armadillo sidemount rig and it's been more than a year and dozens of dives since they've been successfully diving this combination.
    I don't understand how an OTS RB could be used sidemounted ???

Can someone explain or any photos of those guys ???

Same question about the KISS sidemounted ???

And last one: there is a big difference between diving the main unit sidemounted and having a BOB sidemounted, the last will have to work alone, and that's the main challenge ;)

Jerome

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

Two years ago at the DEMA show Leon showed me an oversized single over-the-shoulder neoprene counterlung with asymetrical hoses that he had build for his Meg to sidemount it.

Cave nut!
    Richard Harris is a jewel in the rough Richard Harris is a jewel in the rough Richard Harris is a jewel in the rough Richard Harris is a jewel in the rough Richard Harris is a jewel in the rough Richard Harris is a jewel in the rough Richard Harris is a jewel in the rough Richard Harris is a jewel in the rough Richard Harris's Avatar
    rEVO

KISS, Flex, Satori, Mk15.5, ++

I have finally put some pics up of the "Harry-BOB" (much peverted former DDD with thanks to the makers! ). Look in the homebuild section of the gallery. I am not exactly sure what was intended for this RB but this has been my approach to it: O2 added via G snap to side of main body. Diluent fed via APD QD with flow stop from sling tank. Triple PO2 monitor from Munro. Contains 2.4kg of sorb. Needs another 4kg of weight strapped to the base to stop it floating up into my right ear!

After 2 pool sessions (max depth a very respectable 8m) I have finally sorted out some WOB issues - the unit really needs to be exactly alongside your body or else it can be very difficult to breathe. Also the confinement of the CLs inside the body is a little restrictive (the CL volumes are fine in themselves). Final problem is that the ADV is too sensitive (hence the flow stop on the dil line).

Changing sorb etc is a bit fiddly but getting better with practise.

My intention is to extend my sidemount cave diving with this, and also to use as a bailout breather on long dives or dives >70m or so.

Look forward to seeing JDZ's "John-BOB" when it emerges from the lab!

EXPLORER jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz's Avatar
    rEvo, PRISM, KISS

Modccr Dolphin, SM CCR, Satori

OK, so on the slab in the lab we have the second generation of the John BOB just back from pool testing... if you are interested, I've thrown some photos (BOB 2) in no particular order together in my album pages here .. http://www.jdzdiving.com/photogallery.php
    I hope to get an article up and running soon, and more deepwater testing, too many projects and work seems to get in the way...

Cheers, JDZ

Edit: Need to get website up and running too.... ahhgg another project...

Cave nut!
    Richard Harris is a jewel in the rough Richard Harris is a jewel in the rough Richard Harris is a jewel in the rough Richard Harris is a jewel in the rough Richard Harris is a jewel in the rough Richard Harris is a jewel in the rough Richard Harris is a jewel in the rough Richard Harris is a jewel in the rough Richard Harris's Avatar
    rEVO

KISS, Flex, Satori, Mk15.5, ++

To update the Harry-BOB's progress, on a recent testing weekend it finally (OK we had a few "issues"!) performed beautifully on a 37m dive in Arctic South Australia. I think all the problems have been ironed out and it is on track to be a bailout breather for our deep cave expedition in July in the remote NW part of Australia (see http://www.divedoc.net/speleology/ca...=38&location=4 ).

Some more info on Harry-BOB and soon some photos at http://www.divedoc.net/rebreathers/article.asp?rb=3

Harry-BOB and John-BOB rule OK?

1 Grumpy ole skipper Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle's Avatar
    Classic KISS, Sentinel

SCR - CCR Dolphin

Harry-BOB and John-BOB rule OK? --- What ! The dodgy duo!! unlikey but a good effort anyway. Have fun in the Caves & take care guys.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2