+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Side mount CCR - options/advice

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

Side mount CCR - options/advice

Hi,

I have been thinking about a side mount RB quite a bit recently.

I think its the next step in my diving. The wrecks apear to be getting smaller and as Im getting into cave diving a low profile side mounted RB that can be unclipped and pushed through openings etc would be nice.

Does anyone have any experience with side mount they would like to share.

Some questions I have;
    What designs work best?
    Anyone building them to sell?
    What is WOB like (I presume good if its side slung at the same level as the centroid)

Pros, cons or anything else to share?

Cheers
    Mike

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar

Re: Side mount CCR - options/advice

Mike,

AFAIK, a few people have dived them already:
    • Duncan Price (on this board) is one, for example
    • Joker
    • C96 CCR
    • IIRC, one model is even for sale (DDD or something like that ?).
    I bought an unfinished TR-300 with the idea to convert it into a side-mount CCR, but have been so busy this year so nothing done yet. If you want a good place to start, I will sell it to you.

Another idea we have been tossing around is adding an accordion CL to the Inspiration scrubber.

A few days ago, I just bought a horizontal Inspiration scrubber which the original seller had made with the idea to build a dual-CCR unit.

And hopefully in a few weeks, I might be able to let you know if you could side-sling a C96 as bail-out CCR...

Too many wishful-thinking projects and not enough time to work on them all...

Deep Cave Explorer DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM's Avatar

:D attracted by the dark side of small caves you are

The problem Mike is finding a side mounted (aka Bail Out reBreather) that will match you're 15.5 !!! of course I'm not speaking about fashion, color, style BUT mainly about finding a BOB who will work as well as your 15.5

The cave diving community is usually one step forward, and since 6-7 years they developed and used BOB, at the beginning mainly SCR (ex Joker) and nowadays CCR:

Joki = mCCR (kiss or micrometric valve) limited production (+/-20)
    2 cells
    1 bag inspi
    quality 14/20
    ergonomy 18/20
    http://www.recycleur.net/index.php?p...m_cat&cat_id=6

DDD = mCCR (kiss or micrometric valve + HUD) very limited production (+/-6)
    2 or 3 cells
    2 bags ; - )
    quality 18/20
    ergonomy 16/20
    http://deepdevildiver.free.fr/Recycl...esentation.htm

EDO 06 or 08 = mCCR (kiss or micrometric valve) (limited production +/-4)
    2 or 3 cells
    1 bag expi
    quality 16/20
    ergonomy 16/20
    http://www.stde.ch/

and very soon Ouroboros BOB side mounted :) mCCR or ECCR (design not revealed yet and Top Secret)

For the Joker/Joki/DDD/EDO:
    Top compartment: ADV + cells
    Middle compartment: 1 or 2 breathing bag w OPV
    Bottom compartment: scrubber usually axial w O2 intake

May the force be with you young BOB user

Last edited by DrJM; 30th October 2005 at 08:52.

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

Thanks for the detailed reply, Jerome.

Mike, as you probably saw in the DEMA gallery Chris from Tech Blue brought a Joker to the show and has plans to sell them. I'll cover that in the second part of my DEMA report which should be online in a day or two.

O2ptima Test Dummy
    JPJones has a spectacular aura about JPJones has a spectacular aura about JPJones has a spectacular aura about JPJones has a spectacular aura about JPJones has a spectacular aura about JPJones has a spectacular aura about JPJones's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caveseeker7
    Thanks for the detailed reply, Jerome.

Mike, as you probably saw in the DEMA gallery Chris from Tech Blue brought a Joker to the show and has plans to sell them. I'll cover that in the second part of my DEMA report which should be online in a day or two.
    Chris's unit was real interesting I can't wait for a chance to put one through it's paces.

Quote Originally Posted by Drmike
    Hi,
    Does anyone have any experience with side mount they would like to share.

Some questions I have;
    What designs work best?
    Anyone building them to sell?
    What is WOB like (I presume good if its side slung at the same level as the centroid)

Pros, cons or anything else to share?
    All the sidemount designs I have come across have the counterlung (usually a single CL on the exhale side) above the scrubber. WOB is good though since the CL/'s is/are enclosed you might have to take puppy breaths. Jerome has pretty much covered what's out there.

John Volanthen (who reads this forum) has a Joki and has used it for cave exploration in Wookey Hole and as a bail out amongst others. Rick Stanton has also made a sidemount unit and has used it widely and deeply - he's doing a limited production run I believe. John also has a modified C-98 which is a very nice chest mounted unit.

I've built 4 D5's two of which are in Florida and the other two lie largely unused in my spare bedroom. I have mainly used them for cave surveying as they give you lots of time to take notes and don't mess up the vis like OC does. The sort of cave diving I'm interested in doesn't favour rebreathers.

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

Thans guys - thats good info/leads for me to follow up on.

Cheers
    Mike

S21 M.I.B. cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier's Avatar

Hi Mike,

A side-mounted CCR was also in my mind since quite a while. Unfortunately I didn't find anything 100% convincing so far.

My best experienced was with the DecoRider (DDD).

I also tried a side-mounted KISS but found it slightly bulky.

So if you find anything interesting, just let us know!

Cheers

DeepDevilDiver Mistral Gagnant is an unknown quantity at this point Mistral Gagnant's Avatar
    TRITON

DDD

Hi DrJM, Hi Cedric,

To complete your info on our DDD, 7 units "around the world" : 1 in UK (DrJM), Nearly 1 in Vanuatu, and the others in France.

We did mod's with DrJM advices, and 2 CL are very comfortable.

We wait you to test the last version Cedric...;).

See you.

Bertrand.

EXPLORER jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz's Avatar
    rEvo, PRISM, KISS

Modccr Dolphin, SM CCR, Satori

Hello Bertrand,

I too am eagerly awaiting the report from the Vanuatu correspondent...

Cheers, JDZ

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast