+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Travel Considerations - Recap from Bonaire

Tim Owens netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage's Avatar

Travel Considerations - Recap from Bonaire

Just returned from Bonaire and I'm wondering how to shave some weight and hassle off my baggage....

I took a keg as a checked bag, MSDS taped to the side. A few questions, and inquisition at Customs, but no issues...

Large Akona roller w/ can, fins, wetsuit, wing, sta, regs, clothes came in heavy and was hit w/ $80 fee. My number at home was 67 lbs, their scale showed 57, so I gladly forked it over...

Carry on w/ cylinders, can light, loop, counterlungs was WAY heavy, but didn't look it. Never got weighed.

Personal item (backpack) had Ikelite housing, head, and laptop. A little manipulation and it went under the seat.

Next time....
    Get the cylinders from Walt... O2 logistics w/ Divi was a pain and eliminated the opportunity to do anything other than 3 boat dives... I had assumed since he was on the other side of the island, and not having a car; logistics would be an issue..., but it appears he sets you up w/ a few sets and cycles them behind the scenes, or just stay at Buddy Dive...

If solo, get the sorb from Walt... If more than one rb diver, may be beneficial to pool baggage so someone checks a keg.

Thinking about chucking my Jet's for travel for some light DR fins. They weigh 7 lbs, and would help my feet/butt heavy trim.

Chuck the akona bag.., it weighs ~10lbs empty...

Try and fit the can/scrubber into carry on. On the return I checked the bag w/ the loop and it didn't make it to Atlanta... Fortunately all is well and it arrived early this morning, but I had to go OC (gasp) for a dive yesterday.
    So, it'd be nice if all the high ticket items were in the cabin.

In Bonaire, nothing was weighed, so I didn't get hit w/ any excess baggage fees on the return.

Wondering how much weight would get shaved if moving to a Kydex or travel plate from an AL...?

Any other weight saving ideas folks?

-Tim

RBW Member tflaris will become famous soon enough tflaris will become famous soon enough tflaris will become famous soon enough tflaris's Avatar
    Evolution, Side-mount Meg

Meg

Re: Travel Considerations - Recap from Bonaire

Heading to Bonire in August and I am going through some of the thought proceses:

Single Rebreather Diver with a group of OC Divers:

1) Rent tanks form Walt
    2) Purchase Sorb from Walt
    3) Purchased Storm Case weith 12 lbs empty with Evo Case, Backlate (Mark Meadows Low Profile) Scruber, Hose, Cleaner, Spares etc. 36 pounds. Add clothes to 45lb total weight.
    4)Carry-on with Head, Vr3 Backup, Mask, Overnight Essientials, Cam Bands Bail-Out Reg in a Back Pack
    5) Olympus 8080, housings, lights in a Pelican case as second carry-on.

I will let you know what happens.

Shearwater Copis Diver Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy's Avatar
    Copis Meg and rEvo III

Evolution

the meg is a tank, and wieghts nearly as much as one. luckily that durability means there is no need for a heavy pelican case. Not sure about it in your neck of the woods but around here "Ross Dress For Less" is an outlet for Samsonites' last year's models. You get something like a 50% discount for some pretty light weight but durable luggage.

I know what you mean about the fins, our favorites are bio-fins and they weigh a lot so we are also thinking of a light weight travel fin.

if you have to take tanks, aluminum are of course lighter. I have been using steel 13's for some time now, having to take two sets of o2's and 1 set of dilluent's per diver... they are two small for the diving i'm beginning to do and particularly when you are left with trans filling from a low pressure tank. several people tried to tell me this when I was attracted to the mini-meg concept...luckily the min-meg can was out of stock when I ordered our Copis's so at least I don't have to replace that too. I'm a bit behind the curve on this one I know, just now coming to the conclusion that 19's are the way to go, which would allow us to bring just one of each dil and o2 per diver. It's a bit of a conflict when going back and forth between tropical and dry suite diving since having heavy tanks cut down on added lead in cold water, but are a drag when traveling. Sadly we are probably going to have to have "travel" tanks as well as "travel" fins.

You might want to check in with ISC on where they are at with production of the FRP can. I got my hands on one when I was down there last spring and it is mouth wateringly light but was still in testing!

As for cary on, it may not be the most honest thing to do, but either having someone hang out with your cary on, away from the ticket counter, or in any way possible keeping it low profile reduces the likelyhood of getting weighed.

I didn't think it was possible to take the sorb cary on, that would be good to know, but it's pretty durable so I generally save cary on capacity for all the heavy, expensive and delicate stuff.

g

Gill Envy

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

If your using the stock Meg and decide not to carry it on you can look at replacing the STA with just hose clamps thru the backplate. Use the Golem gear herringbone backplate. Replace the heavy tank mounts with fabric cam bands. Also the OMS version of the Jet fins are much lighter.

John

~~~~~ #417 ~~~~~ PacketSniffer is a jewel in the rough PacketSniffer is a jewel in the rough PacketSniffer is a jewel in the rough PacketSniffer is a jewel in the rough PacketSniffer is a jewel in the rough PacketSniffer is a jewel in the rough PacketSniffer is a jewel in the rough PacketSniffer is a jewel in the rough PacketSniffer's Avatar

Notes:

I've fit my Meg (complete with head) into a legal Akona carry-on bag.

For diving wet (and other reasons), I have recently purchased a set of the OMS Slipstreams. You shave like 1.4lbs total (XXL Jets to XL Slipstreams). They're not bad but come with some caveats. Tim: You can try them this weekend when we hook up.

I don't think you're going to save any significant weight with plastic over AL back plate. I wouldn't bother. Take what you prefer.

See Skipbreather's carbon fiber cylinder mounts. They are sweet for travel and can accomodate a wide variety of cylinders.

I wouldn't chuck the 10lb roller bag. I have a large Stahlsac roller bag. It weighs 10lbs. The fish totes weigh 13lbs. I'd stick with the roller bag for the weight and the fact that you can probably fit more in if needed.

---> According to Steven @ ISC, the FRP can project has been killed.

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON MK15.5

BMR500 IDA71 IDA64 RGUFM AKA60

Have been trying hard to lighten my rig for travel to Chuuk next year. As Packetsniffer said, carbon fiber tank brackets (screw clamp to can, cam band to tanks). MicroMeg can (cut down fire extinguisher can w/ 1/8 inch thick sides, 1 ½ inches shorter than MiniMeg & a couple of pounds lighter) w/ small radial scrubber (15% more sorb than Mini axial). One piece carbon fiber back plate/ stand combo w/ DR Trans plate harness. Trying hard to come up w/ more cool toys from the skunkworks, but am running out of things to lighten.

ccr apprentice Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Meg 2.7/SW, Copis Meg, SK

Quote Originally Posted by Skipbreather  View Original Post
    Trying hard to come up w/ more cool toys from the skunkworks, but am running out of things to lighten.
    Well, maybe you can take care of my Meg now!!:D
    Best
    Philippe

+ Reply to Thread