+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Which AL 80 For Bail Out?

Richie Burr diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb's Avatar
    O2ptima FX

Which AL 80 For Bail Out?

Getting ready to buy a few AL 80's for Bail Out. Doing Ocean Wreck Dives.

I noticed that that there are different Buoyancy characteristics for Luxfer (full
    -3.6) & Catalina (full -1.8). The Catalina is also about 4" shorter.

They also offer Compact 80's and some other flavors....

Does anyone have a preference of one over another for trim/boyancy?

Thanks,

Richie

Never E nuff Mike Costanzo is a jewel in the rough Mike Costanzo is a jewel in the rough Mike Costanzo is a jewel in the rough Mike Costanzo is a jewel in the rough Mike Costanzo is a jewel in the rough Mike Costanzo is a jewel in the rough Mike Costanzo is a jewel in the rough Mike Costanzo is a jewel in the rough Mike Costanzo's Avatar
    KISS Classic

Re: Which AL 80 For Bail Out?

Richie good question. I am also interested in any comments anyone would like to contribute to this thread.

Underwater Paparazzi sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver's Avatar
    Dive Rite Optima

Quote Originally Posted by diverreb  View Original Post

Richie
    "...A few AL 80's for Bail Out"? Uh, Richie, you planning something steeper and deeper that we should know about????

Inquiring minds would like to know???

My unit can beat up yours JCdesign97 has much to be proud of JCdesign97 has much to be proud of JCdesign97 has much to be proud of JCdesign97 has much to be proud of JCdesign97 has much to be proud of JCdesign97 has much to be proud of JCdesign97 has much to be proud of JCdesign97 has much to be proud of JCdesign97 has much to be proud of JCdesign97 has much to be proud of JCdesign97 has much to be proud of JCdesign97's Avatar
    Optima

Hey Richie - it still says 'New Member' under your buddy Mike's name ... sucks to be him! Tell him I said hi. I would myself, but I don't talk to lowly unwashed new members directly ... :D

Richie Burr diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb's Avatar
    O2ptima FX

Quote Originally Posted by sfldiver  View Original Post
    "...A few AL 80's for Bail Out"? Uh, Richie, you planning something steeper and deeper that we should know about????

Inquiring minds would like to know???
    Nothing over 200'...

I want to keep different mixes in each so I don't have to re mix gases for say the 160' dives & the 200' dives... He is pricey these days....

I'm a gas hog and 40's are cutting it too close for my dives....

Richie

RBW Member EricD is an unknown quantity at this point EricD's Avatar
    rEvo III

KISS Classic

Quote Originally Posted by diverreb  View Original Post

I noticed that that there are different Buoyancy characteristics for Luxfer (full
    -3.6) & Catalina (full -1.8). The Catalina is also about 4" shorter.

They also offer Compact 80's and some other flavors....

Does anyone have a preference of one over another for trim/boyancy?

Thanks,

Richie
    Richie-

This link should help you out with Luxfer vs. Catalina buoyancy and measurements:

TECHDIVINGLIMITED.COM

I personally own/use a Luxfer Al 80, and have done so on many o/c dives when I needed only one deco gas. As you will see on the chart, both flavors of al 80 get 4+ lbs. positive when nearly empty. From what I remember from a discussion I had a few years back with a very experienced deep diver is the reason why many divers prefer luxfer over catalina cylinders is due to the trim the tanks assume when they become buoyant. Luxfers tend to be a more tail light and pull up and away from the diver when mounted on the chest and side d-rings. Catalinas tend to become a little more frustrating when buoyant with the cylinder becoming positive toward the head of the tank and riding up the diver's side, rather than away. I personally have no complaints with the luxfer al 80, and was using it yesterday as my bail out bottle (side mount style) when practicing in the quarry. I couldn't even tell it was there as it trims out nicely, IMO.

Hope this helps.

Eric

Tim Owens netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage's Avatar

Standard Luxfer 80's....

RBW Member Shawn has a spectacular aura about Shawn has a spectacular aura about Shawn has a spectacular aura about Shawn has a spectacular aura about Shawn has a spectacular aura about Shawn's Avatar

I use Luxfer tanks as well. I have a Catalina that I also use but the trim on it sucks so bad that I only use it for my shallow stops when I'm already towing empties and trim is a relative term.

RBW Member tflaris will become famous soon enough tflaris will become famous soon enough tflaris will become famous soon enough tflaris's Avatar
    Evolution, Side-mount Meg

Meg

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn  View Original Post
    I use Luxfer tanks as well. I have a Catalina that I also use but the trim on it sucks so bad that I only use it for my shallow stops when I'm already towing empties and trim is a relative term.
    I noticed the same on my Catalina. It rides poorly in the water used as bail-out never dove it partially full.

Never E nuff Mike Costanzo is a jewel in the rough Mike Costanzo is a jewel in the rough Mike Costanzo is a jewel in the rough Mike Costanzo is a jewel in the rough Mike Costanzo is a jewel in the rough Mike Costanzo is a jewel in the rough Mike Costanzo is a jewel in the rough Mike Costanzo is a jewel in the rough Mike Costanzo's Avatar
    KISS Classic

Eric, thanks for the info. What quarry u been diving in?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast