+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New ISC Radial scrubber question

Shearwater Copis Diver Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy's Avatar
    Copis Meg and rEvo III

Evolution

New ISC Radial scrubber question

so, is there test data on this new scrubber? Particularly anything objective that would help me better understand the benefits of a radial scrubber and in particular ISC's?

Is there an official ISC claim as to the benefits of their radial scrubber? I'm particularly interested in nailing down weather radial's are less prone to over breathing due to the greater surface area of the reactant front and greater dwell time. I"m also curious about the duration to exhaustion, which of course are two different things.

Half the reason it seems that we have to calculate such a broad buffer with an Axial scrubber is due to the chance of overbreathing during heavy exertion at depth where dwell time can suddenly drop and co2 can penetrate much deeper into the stack. At present I"m throwing out 1/3 to 1/2 of my scrubber fill (at least as indicated by the dye) as a precaution against breakthrough, which is going by recommended calculation. This requires bringing a lot more scrubber on remote international trips which is becoming increasingly expensive with respect to airline overage and when it gets down to the smaller airlines to get out to outer airlines is becoming ever increasingly problematic to take so much overall weight. If ISC's radial scrubber bears out in objective study to be more efficient and robust as well as being less prone to flooding, then it's likely worth it's weight in gold!

Gill Envy

RBW Member mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot's Avatar

Re: New ISC Radial scrubber question

Gill,

All good questions and I hope to see some good responses. I just wanted to add a note to something you said above.

I've finessed out the unused (loose, unclumped, uncolored) sorb from my axial and noticed (which I fully expected) a conical shape to the spent sorb. From the outside of the scrubber, the colored portion of the sorb doesn't really give, IMHO, a full picture of what is used on the axial scrubber as a portion not seen from the outside is used above that obvious exterior color contrast line. The scrubber could actually be spent prior to the 'purple' getting anywhere near the top as viewed from the outside, as the inside cone could be touching the port.

I'm sure everyone already knows this, but thought I put it in here as a side note or reminder.

As my frequent dive buddies are all now diving radials, I am the last bastion of axial'dom and curious about learning more about the radial as well.

Shearwater Copis Diver Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy's Avatar
    Copis Meg and rEvo III

Evolution

Good reminder Mem, to be sure I have come to my understanding of the limits of axial scrubbers from considering color only as a rough guide, I've also looked at o2 consumption, manufacturers rating and from watching the temp stick on the evolution in various conditions. I take the need for a significant bugger seriously, due to my understanding of just how variable the limits actually are. If radial scrubbers are more predictable, as in less variable in their burn characteristics, it could be helpful in determining safe, consistent limits that may ultimately result in less waste.

It would be nice to have some objective data that shows weather the benefits are in overall duration, resistance to breakthrough during rapid respiration, resistance to breakthrough on deep dives or if it's simply a work of breathing thing... that may even ultimately reduce co2 build up in the body.

g

Quote Originally Posted by mempilot  View Original Post
    Gill,

All good questions and I hope to see some good responses. I just wanted to add a note to something you said above.

I've finessed out the unused (loose, unclumped, uncolored) sorb from my axial and noticed (which I fully expected) a conical shape to the spent sorb. From the outside of the scrubber, the colored portion of the sorb doesn't really give, IMHO, a full picture of what is used on the axial scrubber as a portion not seen from the outside is used above that obvious exterior color contrast line. The scrubber could actually be spent prior to the 'purple' getting anywhere near the top as viewed from the outside, as the inside cone could be touching the port.

I'm sure everyone already knows this, but thought I put it in here as a side note or reminder.

As my frequent dive buddies are all now diving radials, I am the last bastion of axial'dom and curious about learning more about the radial as well.

Gill Envy

Copis Meg and rEvo III

Evolution

I was kind of thinking, with this being the official ISC customer forum that I'd actually get a response to the above questions. I realize we are all busy and perhaps this has just been missed so I thought I'd give it a bump and see if a spokesperson from ISC can comment.

g

Gill Envy

John Harcus jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver's Avatar
    rEvo

Copis Megalodon

Quote Originally Posted by Gill Envy  View Original Post
    so, is there test data on this new scrubber? Particularly anything objective that would help me better understand the benefits of a radial scrubber and in particular ISC's?

Is there an official ISC claim as to the benefits of their radial scrubber? I'm particularly interested in nailing down weather radial's are less prone to over breathing due to the greater surface area of the reactant front and greater dwell time. I"m also curious about the duration to exhaustion, which of course are two different things.

Half the reason it seems that we have to calculate such a broad buffer with an Axial scrubber is due to the chance of overbreathing during heavy exertion at depth where dwell time can suddenly drop and co2 can penetrate much deeper into the stack. At present I"m throwing out 1/3 to 1/2 of my scrubber fill (at least as indicated by the dye) as a precaution against breakthrough, which is going by recommended calculation. This requires bringing a lot more scrubber on remote international trips which is becoming increasingly expensive with respect to airline overage and when it gets down to the smaller airlines to get out to outer airlines is becoming ever increasingly problematic to take so much overall weight. If ISC's radial scrubber bears out in objective study to be more efficient and robust as well as being less prone to flooding, then it's likely worth it's weight in gold!
    ISC Information

Under Product Test Announcements and Test Results...

Copis Meg and rEvo III

Evolution

yup, been there... was hoping for more specifics as to my questions... and it looks like I left something out so i'll again.

I"m also curious about not just the comparisons of duration to exhaustion between axial and radial but tolerance to overbreathing comparisons, which of course are two different things.

Guessing the claim infers greater resistance to overbreathing, it reads: The ISC Radial offers superior duration to breakthrough (.5%) with substantial reserve capacity and a generous profile.

I'd like to better know what numbers they are using to come to that claim.

g
    Last edited by Gill Envy; 25th June 2008 at 22:43.

Gill Envy

+ Reply to Thread