+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Japanese subchaser wreck

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

Re: Japanese subchaser wreck

Quote Originally Posted by you-chan hori  View Original Post
    Hi all,

I love to visit this forum as a newly certified Meg diver in Jan.

This is not exactly the way that I fancied to make an introdction of myself to this community. however
    Now someone mentioned a bit of me.
    Especially after Mike rubbed salt on my old scar about my good old video Vmax 2000 with a sony housing that I left somewhere in off Malaysia coast.
    Oh boy, I still missed that camera. Yes, you so cruel Mike.
    This is roughly how I feel now.

Well, a man have bitter things in life to live by.

You-chan HORI
    konbanwa Hori san,

good to see you here, welcome

RBW Member you-chan hori is an unknown quantity at this point you-chan hori's Avatar

And good evening to you too Mike san.

you-chan hori
    Last edited by you-chan hori; 9th May 2008 at 13:18.

RBW Member jamiemac is on a distinguished road jamiemac is on a distinguished road jamiemac's Avatar
    inspo

Hi all,

Well, a man have bitter things in life to live by.

You-chan HORI
    I seem to remember the phrase' He's toast' mentioned a lot.

Never seen a man happier to buy a slab of beer, except for me and Stewart just the day before just having done the same thing, but not quite so far

Jamie

RBW Member you-chan hori is an unknown quantity at this point you-chan hori's Avatar

Hey folks,
    this is the thread to talk about great videos of the IJN wrecks posted by spn2298 san, my current diving guru

.........Oh what the hell,

> I seem to remember the phrase' He's toast' mentioned a lot.
    Never seen a man happier to buy a slab of beer, except for me and Stewart just the day before just having done the same thing, but not quite so far

Hi Jamie. Yes I remember you as just a happy man yourself back on boat too.
    You know, come to think of it, I still have the video footage of the your welcoming back on board party somewhere in my room. If I recall correctly you forgot to bring your dive compass to determin on the wreck which way was the upline to the boat at the end of the dive with your friend Stewart san.
    Poor he, he looked he had enough excitement for that day.

What, I am not the guy drifted most far far away from the boat, am I?. I heard Brooks done the same.

You-chan Hori
    Last edited by you-chan hori; 11th May 2008 at 12:58. Reason: gramattical error and mistyped

RBW Member KevinD is an unknown quantity at this point KevinD's Avatar
    (No longer) west of Woodstock, south of Vietnam.
    Mk15.5

What, I am not the guy drifted most far far away from the boat, am I?. I heard Brooks done the same.

Nah, inshallah, I think the late Fred Evans has that honour. Methinks Brooks (and maybe Mike G's) longest drifts were off MV Disgrace?

However, I suppose enough time has passed that the official secrets act has expired to tell the following ‘story’ although unlike some folks post dive stories, again, surprisingly, this one is true. The old adage, fact f#cks fiction every time, as they say, rings true every time also.

Anyway after You-Chans ‘interesting’, unplanned, and unobserved for the most part, long drift deco off Haguro (IJN heavy cruiser in Malacca Strait) we went up to IJN light cruiser Kuma, closer to Penang. As is the E-SOP, which is basically every man for himself and let the devil beware, we went in at staggered intervals, mostly solo or at best in ‘loose’ pairs. I clearly recall being on the wreck alone and just prior to ascent time swimming by the shot line, tied off near the bridge, thinking “great, I have found the sucker”, but also thinking “that sucker is going to break very soon”. I went on my not so merry way then, feeling rather paranoid, thought better of it, turned back, found said line again and ascended. Oh I forgot to mention, vis on wreck, was maybe 2 or (generously) 3m ‘on top’, less down deeper.

So, halfway up the line who should I pass but You-Chan going down (solo). Then maybe five minutes later whilst on deco, what happens? Don’t need to be Einstein to guess that one, said shot line breaks on wreck and floats up! Only person on wreck? You guessed it again – You-Chan Hori. Luckily, the Big Dog, who has just gotten in the water, sees line floating on surface, gets some slack let out and nonchalantly swims line back down and ties it off again. You-Chan completes his dive and when he surfaces we asked him if anything ‘happened’ down there that was, well, ‘interesting’ or unusual as it were. “No” he replies “I went down shot line and came back up shot line this time!”.

Little did he know that this was almost not the case and, if I recall, we didn’t have the heart to tell him any different. After all, we figured if we told him ‘the truth’ and that he was just ‘this far’ from another unattended drift deco, he may have thought that we didn’t like him very much becasue of some long held WW11 grievance and were maybe trying to get rid of him or something.

Of course that wasn’t the case at all, he is a lovely bloke, and besides, he had the only camera he had left down there with him, so a repeat of yesterdays performance would have gained us nothing worthwhile from the gear he ‘left’ on board, and had he been ‘lost’ for good this time, not even a case of beer unless we found him again.

K
    Last edited by KevinD; 10th May 2008 at 06:33. Reason: Spelling typo

. Methinks Brooks (and maybe Mike G's) longest drifts were off MV Disgrace?

Nah My longest drift was in the North Atlantic where i had 4 hours to comtemplate having to urinate in my dry suit 50 miles offshore. Oh the Humanity.

Brooks from Bali

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2