+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why haven't the Poms picked up on this?

Subsea Systems koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai's Avatar

Why haven't the Poms picked up on this?

It hasn't been the best kept secret, but now it's official!!

http://www.robin-brooks.com/articles...ss-release.pdf

Cheers,
    Jason.
    Last edited by koputai; 1st May 2008 at 23:54.

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

Re: Why haven't the Poms picked up on this?

Quote Originally Posted by koputai  View Original Post
    It hasn't been the best kept secret, but now it's official!!

http://www.robin-brooks.com/articles...ss-release.pdf

Cheers,
    Jason.

The plan was to keep it secret for a while as there was a few things in the pipeline re: video, articles etc. The British MOD are not exactly supportive of war graves being found and dived, so all things considered it was kept quiet since early last year when she was found.

The 'E' as we codenamed her was the last of the ships to be found in the Java sea. Vidar mostly accompanied by Kevin D and Phil has located and dived all of them now - a heck of an accomplishment and the two 'E's were the final feather in the cap

We searched for her in 2006 as mentioned in the article (thats when we found the USS Perch, http://drmike.smugmug.com/Wreck%20diving/269561) and I did have a few choice words with Kev when he told me they found her on the next search trip 2 months later (that I wasnt on) and they found her just outside the search box we scanned!! very infuriating!
    Last edited by Drmike; 2nd May 2008 at 02:17.

RBW Member KevinD is an unknown quantity at this point KevinD's Avatar
    (No longer) west of Woodstock, south of Vietnam.
    Mk15.5

Quote Originally Posted by Drmike  View Original Post
    The 'E' as we codenamed her was the last of the ships to be found in the Java sea. Vidar mostly accompanied by Kevin D and Phil has located and dived all of them now - a heck of an accomplishment and the two 'E's were the final feather in the cap

Thanks for the kind words Mikey and I only wish it where true, but................................that’s not quite the case re the final feather, etc. You have forgotten about our remaining nemesis, USS Pope, who remains as illusive as ever and is actually the VERY last of the Battle of the Java Sea wrecks remaining to be discovered. But not for want of trying, thats for sure! (Although you just know that somewhere some fisherman IS wetting his line unbeknownst on her.)

And yeah, we were so close in 2006 eh, given that when we were going back and forth to Perch, we missed the E by a mere 500m, (well 150m actually, as she was just 150m outside the SS range on one of those transits, as we later learnt, much to our chagrin).

Oh well, as the Big Dog likes to say, "Wrecks get found when they want to get found", and ain't that the truth! Besides, if we found Pope we wouldn’t have anything to keep drawing us back out there, would we. Still, I was oh so much hoping to come back into port with a broom tied to the mast! One day though.

Regards,
    Kevin

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KevinD  View Original Post
    You have forgotten about our remaining nemesis, USS Pope,
    opps! bugger, yes of course :D

And yeah, we were so close in 2006 eh, given that when we were going back and forth to Perch, we missed the E by a mere 500m, (well 150m actually, as she was just 150m outside the SS range on one of those transits, as we later learnt, much to our chagrin).
    OK OK stop rubbing it in OK!! :D

Oh well, as the Big Dog likes to say, "Wrecks get found when they want to get found", and ain't that the truth! Besides, if we found Pope we wouldn’t have anything to keep drawing us back out there, would we. Still, I was oh so much hoping to come back into port with a broom tied to the mast! One day though.
    When can we get wet together next? Still cant believe Mr B will be married by now!

RBW Member jamiemac is on a distinguished road jamiemac is on a distinguished road jamiemac's Avatar
    inspo

Great news , we find a few new wrecks now and again but not in the same class, what we'd give for just one little cruiser.

Mike and Kev, i expect you're tired of marus now? lucky buggers

Cheers

Jamie and stewart, MV Trident

RBW Member KevinD is an unknown quantity at this point KevinD's Avatar
    (No longer) west of Woodstock, south of Vietnam.
    Mk15.5

Quote Originally Posted by Drmike  View Original Post
    When can we get wet together next? Still cant believe Mr B will be married by now!
    I hear your coming this way for some cave diving? Maybe then?

You do of course realise a crimanal record is no longer mandatory/necessary for getting into the colonies, so, save for your little assault on................. opps shouldnt be bringing that up I suppose.............. you should be right. However 'they' do like to look in cavity's, so that should be right up your alley, no pun intended. Give me your flight details and I'll set everything up with my 'mates' at the airport for your arrival.:D

As for Rajah Brooks, woe is he. Singapore just won't be the same without him. (Are your gonna make it for the do in August?)

The repercusions of his rash decision are still being felt it seems, as I did notice when last in Sing a large crowd gathered around the Four Floors of Wh*res as I walked by (yes by!), and ambulances everywhere. Pushed my way through to a horrid scene, bodies everywhere on the footpath, etc, in all many of dress (and undress for that matter). I wont go into detail, I am sure you can imagine it. Seems when the word of the impending marriage reached the girls (and katoys) on the upper levels, well, there simply wasnt enough windows left for them to all jump out of was there. Horrid, simply horrid.

Oh well, your still there, and I guess with a bit of practice you could fill his shoes, and take over the bar up at, what was his favourite, Crazy Horse? Or was that mine? I simply can't recall your honour.

And thanks Jamie and Stew for the kind words. No need to get snobby though, nothing wrong with a Maru or two, but your right, a heavy cruiser is, I suppose, somewhat better.;)

K
    Last edited by KevinD; 4th May 2008 at 06:44.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinD  View Original Post
    I hear your coming this way for some cave diving? Maybe then?
    yeh lets try and do something then. Aug time.

Give me your flight details and I'll set everything up with my 'mates' at the airport for your arrival.:D
    conversation at Sydney airport on my way to present at Oztec 08

Imigration: "wheres your luggage?" [only had one small bag]
    me: "this is all I have"
    Imigration: "how long are you staying in Oz?"
    me: "two days"
    Imigration: "hmmmm, can you come with me sir?" [Takes me out of line to a table and starts to search bag]
    Imigration: "why are you in Oz?"
    me: "Im speaking at a dive conferance"
    Imigration: "where is the conferance?"
    me: "I dont know"
    Imigration: "how are you getting there?"
    me: "Im being met"
    Imigration: "by who?"
    me: "i dont know"
    imigration: "where are you staying"
    me: "in a hotel"
    Imigration: "which one"
    me: "i dont know"
    [Takes 3 sucessive explosive swabs in a row and each one comes up positive for explosives!]
    "Have you been handling explosives?"
    me: "not recently"
    [ignores test results and assumes machines on the blink]
    Imigration: "If you cant prove to me you have a legitimate reason to be in Oz we have to send you back, your lack of luggage, shortness of visit and yoru inability to answer questions fits a profile"
    Imigration: can you prove your a diver and that your here to present at a dive seminar?"

LOL I ended up showing him my DAN insurance card and my Oztek presentation on my laptop! :D

Are your gonna make it for the do in August?
    sure am as long as it doesnt clash with the Oz exped dates.....hmm, having said that I guess Id better check the dates!! You going? We should get the big dog to run a stag special trip!

Oh well, your still there, and I guess with a bit of practice you could fill his shoes, and take over the bar up at, what was his favourite, Crazy Horse? Or was that mine? I simply can't recall your honour.
    Now Brooks has opened his own bar in Bali no doubt it will be furbished with something that looks and tastes remarkably like chicken :D

+ Reply to Thread