+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: too fricken heavy....

Tim Owens netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage's Avatar

too fricken heavy....

Did initial training in the N. Fl caves. AL plate, drysuit, 3L fabers & a 3lb weight mounted high on the can had me weighted and trimmed perfectly....

Got back out this past weekend in a 3mm in salt water and I was way heavy....
    On the reef in 15' I pulled the lead off and still sank, w/ an empty wing and normal loop...

I'm about ready to try out a set of AL 19's to shave two more pounds off... then I'm back to adding weight to balance....

Just how high do folks slide the tanks up?

-Tim
    Last edited by netmage; 28th April 2008 at 19:05. Reason: added saltwater nugget....

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Re: too fricken heavy....

Tim

I am not diving the Meg yet but I have been looking at the setup of others. I dove with a friend in the Mexican caves last week that had hose clamped his BP directly to the scrubber cannister directly (ie removed the STA) and de-inverted the tanks to try to remove some weight and get better trim.

Also, I don't know what your BP weight is but the Golem Stream plate is 2 lbs, 2 ozs. If you want to try one I can bring it down with me in May.

John

RBW Member Dive!Dive! is on a distinguished road Dive!Dive! is on a distinguished road Dive!Dive!'s Avatar

Had the same problem when I took my Meg to Mexcio last year. 3mm suit , al plate. Sank like a stone. I was using borrowed 2 litre steel fabers (Evo cylinders) and had to have them as high as possible to get trim , which made the valves very hard to reach. Not ideal.....
    Not sure what others use but Al tanks or de-inversion would be what I try next time.
    Steve

Underwater Paparazzi sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver's Avatar
    Dive Rite Optima

Two words - "duct tape!"

Last edited by sfldiver; 28th April 2008 at 21:35.

Underwater Paparazzi sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver's Avatar
    Dive Rite Optima

BTW Tim: Glad to hear you are doing better and back in the water - Looking forward to diving with you soon!

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

If your looking to only add trim weight then instead of duct tape get a pair of ankle weights. They fit the 3L tanks perfectly and are alot easier to remove and replace then duct tape. You will look a bit more......ummm....show we say prepared with them.

John

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON MK15.5

BMR500 IDA71 IDA64 RGUFM AKA60

Flip side: Yesterday. Fresh water (49F BTW...). First time this BP/ can/ scrubber/ suit/ undies/ bottle/ bailout/ configuration. 4 mm crushed neoprene dry (dry at least at beginning of dive, but that's another story :p ). 19 cf AL bottles. Std. Meg can w/ small radial scrubber & appropriate spacer. Just one 30 cf AL bailout. Carbon fiber BP. Trim pretty good. Took a whopping 32 lb lead added a couple of lb at a time to get negative! (I've been told before I'm full of hot air, but this was ridiculous!!!).
    Last edited by Skipbreather; 29th April 2008 at 04:57.

RBW Member Runawaylobster is an unknown quantity at this point Runawaylobster's Avatar

okay okay....

what a shock I got when I looked in this thread and see my duct
    tape plastered allover it !!

By the way I got some Faber 18's now so the duct tape is gone.
    and guess what... like tim I'm way too heavy but I will be switching
    to an AL plate next week and checking that out. So far i haven't taken
    the new fabers in the ocean just freshwater. The ocean test happens
    tonight.

:)

Les

Go DEEP!!!! Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer's Avatar
    MEGALODON

Evolution, KISS GEM

Rather than duct tape, use pockets. See

http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showthread.php?t=16506

Tim Owens netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer  View Original Post
    Rather than duct tape, use pockets. See

http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showthread.php?t=16506
    I have an xs scuba weight pocket clamped to the very top of the can right now... I think I'm going to add 2 more to the top of the cylinders, just so I have options...

Once I get it dialed it, more permanent solutions, like the stainless handle will go in....

To make matters worse, I also switched to an 8lb radial.., so there's ~2.5 more lbs of sorb in the overall package...

-Tim
    Last edited by netmage; 7th May 2008 at 13:23.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast