+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Decongestants

RBW Founder schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford's Avatar

Decongestants

I have a real problem with one sinus - its the one behind my right eye, always had a problem since i was a kid, i think that the tube is just very small or something.

Planes gives me a problem let alone diving with the change in pressure.

It is very easily controlled by popping a sudafed before I dive or fly - I usually take the 12 hour ones but its only ever descending i have a problem - when I ascend its usually good for days afterwards - cleans the gunk out of it I guess

Any ways back to my point I had read that taking decongestants can increase the probability of you break dancing due to a ppo2 hit?

Is this urban legend or real and any thoughts? As for me no decongestants means not much diving!

Stuart

Administrator ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE's Avatar

Decongestants and Decompression and PPO2

Quote Originally Posted by schford
    I have a real problem with one sinus - its the one behind my right eye, always had a problem since i was a kid, i think that the tube is just very small or something.

Planes gives me a problem let alone diving with the change in pressure.

It is very easily controlled by popping a sudafed before I dive or fly - I usually take the 12 hour ones but its only ever descending i have a problem - when I ascend its usually good for days afterwards - cleans the gunk out of it I guess

Any way, back to my point, I had read that taking decongestants can increase the probability of you break dancing due to a ppo2 hit?

Is this urban legend or real and any thoughts? As for me no decongestants means not much diving!

Stuart
    Stuart,

This is a terrible way to engage in "one-up manship", but I have had long-standing problems with all of my sinuses, both with congestion and infections.

One thing that has helped a lot is to go to the local chemist and get pre-prepared normal saline nose spray. Use it on a daily basis to irrigate the nose and sinus areas. It is cheap and drug free!

I do not know, at the moment of any studies on the subject, but I will contact a couple of researchers I know who may have references. Unfortunately, there is at least some anecdotal evidence that leans toward: "Yes, it can be a problem."

As they say, stand by for further news!

Rob

I'm pretty lucky in that I don't get sinus congestion that often but I was advised (when having compressed my Maxial sunus on one dive) by my technical instructor, to use Beaconase. It may be worth a try.

Kevin Hagerich Helium_diver is an unknown quantity at this point Helium_diver's Avatar
    KISS Classic

ccr dolphin

Here is a post by the diving doctor you might find it informative. http://divermag.com/archives/nov2003...tor_nov03.html

Helium_diver

Administrator ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE's Avatar

Post Decongestants and PPO2

He diver,

That is a good reference. Thank you for posting it.

For those not familiar with him, Dr. Sawatzky is a noted researcher with DCIEM (now DRDC) in Canada, and a very pleasant fellow indeed.

Upon reading this article, we should all immediately PANIC, because of course we dive with high PPO2 settings, and I would bet that we all have taken decongestants and merrily gone off diving.

Since we survived it, we know that there is much more to the story. The good doctor, writing in any outlet for mass consumption, must be ultra-cautious about his recommendations, as we might well imagine. It is certainly true, howver, that there are caveats to be had here.

I shall be bringing you more information on this very subject shortly!

Cheers!

Rob Davie

Photo & Video Pro h2ophotopro is an unknown quantity at this point h2ophotopro's Avatar
    There are many possible remedies. I think the best thing to do is try them out and see what works best for you. I was treated by an ENT who had been diving for over 40 years. He tried nasal spray, Claratin, some steroidal medicine. Yet the only thing that ever works for me is 2 of the 6 hour (red) Sudafed about 30 minutes before every dive. Doc says hey if thats what works, then stick with it. The 12 and 24 hr Sudafed doesnt work for me.

I would really like to know more about the decongestant thing and the PPO2 levels. I am with you Stuart...no decongestants means NO diving...that aint gonna happen

RBW Member Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck's Avatar
    Dolphin

I would try this site. http://www.scuba-doc.com/

He has excellent monthly letter with all kinds of gory things.

I am not aware of PPo2 issues and relation to O2 dance movements and decongestants.

However, in confined environments there have been reports of divers feeling uncomfortable. Usually starts as an irritant, then described as a being on nerves or edgy. If the divers continue then there have been reports of dives loosing control and bolting for the exit.

A rather dated source was Immersed they had a whole issue on diving and medicine.

Regards, Andrew

Top Geek Diver is an unknown quantity at this point Diver's Avatar
    Heres a couple more links on the subject from Divers Alert Network that may be of interest.

Sinus Congestion

Dan Takes A Look at Over The Counter Medications

Pseudoephedrine & Enriched-Air Diving?

Decongestants and PPO2

Diver,

Thank you for those links. The one on pseudoephedrine and diving is very central to our isssue here, and by none other than the great Dr.Thalman.

I had read that article in another forum a long time ago, but it is still relevant to our discussion today.

This is the kind of input we seek here!

Thanks again.

Rjob Davie

RBW Member DoubleTop is an unknown quantity at this point DoubleTop's Avatar
    Diver - I may just have to print those and take to my doctors to see if he'll let me do my trydive.

DT.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast