+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Scapa Flow CCR Diving

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

Re: Scapa Flow CCR Diving

The diving in Scap Flow itself is very good, clear but green water generally, viz can be good but can be very "UK" at times (non-existent) :D

Compared to elsewhere in the Uk the diving in NOT very hard- big lazy hardboats, lots of boat space, rarely rough (although often windy) not much in the way of tides and ringed by islands.

The wrecks are all large and easily navigable if you're a wreck diver, treat them as giant reefs if your not, although there are plenty of filter feeders there aren't many fish (in the flow) On the block ships and outer wrecks thats abit different and they are well worth doing.

While good I wouldn't necessarily go to Scapa for the wrecks as purely dives- but for the history (WW1, Jutland, the great Scuttle etc.) you just can't beat it (well maybe Jutand itself and Truk etc)

Lastly- while I hesitate to reccomend any boat in particular (I've been on 5 different boats up there (as a diver on 2 different boats and visited the rest)) I've only been to Scapa 5 times total... I would not reccomend the Karin, I know lots of people love the setup but the boat is knackered and very poorly fitted out, the dive deck is cramped and there are many steps and lumps bumps to walk over and around to get to/from the ladder, lastly most people see the skipper come on-board and leave at the end of the day, the rest of the time he's in the bridge, even when running dive courses.... Hmmm. Just IMVHO.

There are numerous boats up there- I wouldn't settle for less than full onboard B&B, oxygen booster, mulitple dive flexibility (some do two dives a day only, others allow you to vist 4 different sites, although you'll only want to do 2 of them due to the depths)

Go for the history, rare wrecks, cosy pubs, strong beers, friendly skippers, easy diving.

Beware the strong beers, grumpy skippers, huge penetration risks, not being dived up enough and the wind.

ZeroEmissions Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad's Avatar
    Sentinel/Boris/Evo/Liberty

HomeBuild, AP Classic, Path

I'm gonna be there next saturday, on the Karin.
    Unfortunatly this time I will probably be the only one with a CCR. I'm already planning to go back next year just with a couple of CCR buddies.
    I will let you know in a couple of weeks.

Cheers

Nad

RBW Member Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545's Avatar
    Meg/Shearwater Pathfinder

Thanks to everyone for the input.

It would appear it's still worth while heading over there and spending a few days diving and having a look around.

There were a few comments on the deeper wrecks.....Anyone like to elaborate a bit more as I have really only heard of the shallower ones and I am now interested to know more.

Thanks again.

Lance

RBW Member jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c's Avatar
    rEvo

Megalodon

Quote Originally Posted by Lancer4545  View Original Post
    Thanks to everyone for the input.

It would appear it's still worth while heading over there and spending a few days diving and having a look around.

There were a few comments on the deeper wrecks.....Anyone like to elaborate a bit more as I have really only heard of the shallower ones and I am now interested to know more.

Thanks again.

Lance
    Outside the Flow there are more wrecks at various depths. However, these are more weather dependant dives.

The flow is fairly protected, so even if the weather is bad, you can usually get dives in. Outside the flow, bad weather means you'll be stuck in port.

HTH

Banned Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn's Avatar
    Apoc

Drager

Lance,

One of the wrecks up that way
    HMS King Edward VII - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These chaps appear to have a fair number, if not the references listed give the details of the books.
    Shipwrecks UK - Shipwrecks in the seas of Britain and Ireland

Enjoy,

regards
    Brad

RBW Member jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c's Avatar
    rEvo

Megalodon

RBW Member matt crane will become famous soon enough matt crane will become famous soon enough matt crane will become famous soon enough matt crane will become famous soon enough matt crane's Avatar
    Evolution+

Inspo Vision, Inspo Classic

Dive Scapa Flow by Rod Macdonald is an excellent book.

Amazon.com: Dive Scapa Flow: Rod MacDonald: BooksAmazon.com: Dive Scapa Flow: Rod MacDonald: Books

I am looking to do my first club trip there next year and cant wait.

RBW Member Divein is an unknown quantity at this point Divein's Avatar

There is a group working out of St Andrews University that have been doing some really interesting imaging work using side scan multibeam sonar in the flow.

The following magazine article gives some idea of what state the wrecks are in. What it doesn't give is just how big some of them are.

Divernet | Wreck Features (General) | SCAPA FLOW IN 3D

Phil Siswick, Tango PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

APD Inspiration, Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by xpabu  View Original Post
    I'd agree with Janos entirely. The big ships are excellent and the shallower blockships are fantastic as well, there's also plenty of alternatives. I'm looking forward to going back again this year for the first time on CCR.
    I'm going back for my fifth trip later this year - the second on CCR. Great wrecks and a great atmosphere, plus depths/locations that are perfect for CCR.

The Karin, is a very, very good setup for technical diving--though it is very rough and ready... it's not the sort of place to take the missus.
    Why not - I had my honeymoon on the Karin and we're still married nearly a decade later

There's a heap of boats up there and it's also possible to use a day boat and stay on land.
    I'd say that there is a boat for every taste. I've been on the Karin (once - 2000) and the Jean Elaine (three times - 2002, 2005, 2007 and going back in 2008). I'll put in a big vote for Andy Scapa Flow Charters - Diving in Scapa Flow, Orkney and Shetland. Nice folks, an excellent dive platform, all the gases you could need on board and Ronnie's breakfasts are a meal to remember (not to mention his cakes). The general standard of boats seems to have gone up in recent years, so have a look around to make your choice.

Cheers,

Go DEEP!!!! Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer's Avatar
    MEGALODON

Evolution, KISS GEM

Quote Originally Posted by matt crane  View Original Post
    Dive Scapa Flow by Rod Macdonald is an excellent book.

Amazon.com: Dive Scapa Flow: Rod MacDonald: Books
    Yes, I recommend this book Lance. We were in Scapa 6 years ago and it was one of the most memorable dive trips ever. Planning a trip back next year.

Take lots of pics.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast