+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: G'day Everyone.

RBW Member 44gunner44 is an unknown quantity at this point 44gunner44's Avatar
    Optima

Talking G'day Everyone.

G'day Everyone,
    Iv'e been visiting the site now for a little while and thought it was about time to add a post.

I live in Victoria, Australia and have been diving for two years now. I have always, since the first dive course known that I wanted to go with a CCR over OC.

One thing that seems to be a daunting task is working out which CCR is best suited to the diving that I want to do. Unfortunatly I'm the kind of person who learns with a hands on approach and thats very hard when you don't know anyone who is diving one. I have been following the threads and have been trying to identify parts of the rebreathers as people have spoken about them but unless someone points it out and tells me what it does and whether or not i'm allowed to pull it apart, I guess i will never know.

CCR's Im seriously intrested in are the Meg and the new optima, one I'm curious in is the new prisim by Oceanic (Hollis) not to say i would buy one of these as I have thrown away or sold all of my OC Oceanic gear because of shite service and poor quality in manufacturing and I'm keen to see if that has followed over to the new rebreather.

Apart from that, I've owned a sports nutrition company for 5 years that I started from nothing, a farmer who specializes in breeding Hereford stock cattle and who loves diving, riding motorbikes and plays American Football and in my spare time.....well I really have none of that.

Anyway a bit of a ramble but thats a little about me.

Regards
    John

RBW Member Rust Bucket is on a distinguished road Rust Bucket is on a distinguished road Rust Bucket's Avatar
    Inspo/Evo

Re: G'day Everyone.

Welcome to the forums, it is a wealth of knowledge here.

rEvo CCR Driver silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba's Avatar
    JJ-CCR, rEvo

Welcome and enjoy the board, it is full of information and opinions regarding just about anything you would like to know about rebreathers.

Don't be shy, ask away and they shall speak.

Good luck on your path to rebreather diving.

Underwater Paparazzi sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver's Avatar
    Dive Rite Optima

Quote Originally Posted by 44gunner44  View Original Post
    G'day Everyone,
    Iv'e been visiting the site now for a little while and thought it was about time to add a post.

CCR's Im seriously intrested in are the Meg and the new optima, one I'm curious in is the new prisim by Oceanic (Hollis) not to say i would buy one of these as I have thrown away or sold all of my OC Oceanic gear because of shite service and poor quality in manufacturing and I'm keen to see if that has followed over to the new rebreather.
    Welcome to the site John!

As far as which rebreather to go with, I personally dive an Optima and I love it. Several of my Dive buddies use Megs - Great choice as well. Sorry, but I don't know anything about the Prism.

Generally speaking, the main difference between the Optima and the Meg is the scrubber - The Meg used granular and the Optima uses the Extend Air Cartridges (EAC). You will find varying opinions about the EAC, but most of the negative feedback comes from those that haven't really used them - They offer MANY advantages and conveniences! If you do not have reasonable access to getting EAC's, that could be a problem, but many folks have them shipped in, so there are certainly options.

Good luck with your choice and feel free to ask if you have any questions about the Optima.

Adrian

Banned Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del's Avatar
    JJ, it rocks!

Sports KISS

G'day Everyone,

I live in Victoria, Australia and have been diving for two years now.

One thing that seems to be a daunting task is working out which CCR is best suited to the diving that I want to do. Unfortunatly I'm the kind of person who learns with a hands on approach
    If you live in Victoria, get down to Melbourne, where there is a smal,, but active rebreather community.

If not that, come up to Sydney, where there is also a small(ish) but active bunch diving CCRs.

As to a choice of unit, you'll have to decide that, but consider that where one lives has a bearing on this. Mailing bits to the UK or the US to get fixed/serviced/unlocked, etc seems to be a bit silly, but that's just my take on it.

Enjoy the journey!

cheers

andy

RBW Member Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545's Avatar
    Meg/Shearwater Pathfinder

Hi John,

Nice to see another Aussie on the forum.

There is masses of good information on here....all you have to do is a search and start reading.

The best piece for advice I can give you about which unit to buy, is to meet up with the local rebreather divers and see what they are diving and have a chat to them about the good points and the bad points on each unit and then make your own mind up. It could be that you like another unit that no one down there is diving but is a good place to start and you can get a chance to look them over and see if YOU like them.

Let me know if you're ever up this way.

Regards,

Lance

RBW Member 44gunner44 is an unknown quantity at this point 44gunner44's Avatar
    Optima

Thanks Guys,
    I'm always flying around Australia and to and from the U.S. on a somewhat regular basis (every 4-6 months or so). I'm heading up to Sydney in a few weeks to see Barry at Southern Cross to check out some of his offerings and to absorb some information. I would like to get in contact with some of the guys down in Vic just to see what they are diving.

I have been out on a few dives on Dive Vic boats and have seen a few Optimas and Inspirations kicking around but I'm yet to see a meg.

Thanks for the warm welcome and your sure to hear more from me.

Regards

John

1 Grumpy ole skipper Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle's Avatar
    Classic KISS, Sentinel

SCR - CCR Dolphin

G'day 44Gunner44,
    welcome to RBW
    I doubt you will see a Meg in Victoria soon, only one person that I know of who has one & he does not dive it regularly as far as I'm aware.
    Going to the States often will certainly save you some bucks if you bring home a unit & for any future service or repairs.
    Most of the guys using my vessel have Inspo's, some Prism's.
    If you are interested & want to check out a MCCR Classic KISS-- pop down to Torquay sometime for hands on brief.
    Have a good look around this website & keep asking questions.

No Viz is BAD Viz almity1 has a spectacular aura about almity1 has a spectacular aura about almity1 has a spectacular aura about almity1 has a spectacular aura about almity1 has a spectacular aura about almity1's Avatar

Thanks Guys,
    I'm always flying around Australia and to and from the U.S. on a somewhat regular basis (every 4-6 months or so). I'm heading up to Sydney in a few weeks to see Barry at Southern Cross to check out some of his offerings and to absorb some information. I would like to get in contact with some of the guys down in Vic just to see what they are diving.

I have been out on a few dives on Dive Vic boats and have seen a few Optimas and Inspirations kicking around but I'm yet to see a meg.

Thanks for the warm welcome and your sure to hear more from me.

Regards

John
    Hi John,

Welcome to RBW.

If you have no luck in Vic and you still want to look at a Meg, send me a PM before coming up to Sydney and we can possibly arrange something, if you bring your gear we can for a dive if you do not mind some shore diving and hanging out for a couple of hours underwater while I take photos.

Cheers

Scuba Imports Australia Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris's Avatar
    rEVO III rMS

Inspo, Kiss, Prism, Meg, Pos

Morning John
    Nice to see you in RBW

Cheers
    Chriso

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast