+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Teflon thread tape oxygen safe?

Casual Sport Kiss Pilot RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut's Avatar
    Sport Kiss

Question Teflon thread tape oxygen safe?

Hi all,
    I am just about to put my fill whip together and I am wondering if I have to use a special oxygen safe teflon thread tape?

Or can I use just a normal teflon thread tape, as long as it is rated for high pressure?

Thanks for your input.

RBN

RBW Member seanpall is an unknown quantity at this point seanpall's Avatar
    Inspo

Re: Teflon thread tape oxygen safe?

Its ok to use regular tape, just be carefull to keep it on the threads only making sure that no tape protrudes into the air flow.

Richie Burr diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb's Avatar
    O2ptima FX

Yep.. No problem using it... Good idea leave the bottom two threads clean. It helps to insure no little pieces get cut off and get blown into the system, which has the potential to be a bad thing.

Richie

Casual Sport Kiss Pilot RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut's Avatar
    Sport Kiss

Thanks for the input guys.

cheers,

RBN:)

untitled tibby has a spectacular aura about tibby has a spectacular aura about tibby has a spectacular aura about tibby has a spectacular aura about tibby has a spectacular aura about tibby's Avatar

One thing I've learned recently, teflon tape does not get along with "Simple Green" cleaner, especially concentrated. It will melt the teflon tape away!...the weirdest thing I've seen, try it and you'll see.
    I'm sure it's fine to use with oxygen

Nailer99 Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith's Avatar
    Megalodon

Around here, there's 2 kinds of teflon tape commonly available- white, for water piping, yellow, for natural gas/ propane, and I have been told that there is a pink color for 02- but I've never seen it.

RBW Member Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles's Avatar

Teflon is very inert and is safe in O2. Just avoid getting little bits of it inside the system.

rEvo's daddy
    paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers's Avatar
    rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by Gilles  View Original Post
    Teflon is very inert and is safe in O2. Just avoid getting little bits of it inside the system.
    that's why it's always best to have a filter at the very end

paul
    Attached Images
    www.rEvo-rebreathers.com
    ...."Yes you have to pre-breathe to activate the scrubber sorb, anyone who says different doesn't know what they are talking about!"...
    .... to get more accurate CO2 injection in the breathing machine we put 2 mass flow controllers in series ...
    .... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...
    .... radial scrubbers give longer dwell time than axials...
    .... the earth is flat and ...

RBW Member Jimmer is an unknown quantity at this point Jimmer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nailer99  View Original Post
    Around here, there's 2 kinds of teflon tape commonly available- white, for water piping, yellow, for natural gas/ propane, and I have been told that there is a pink color for 02- but I've never seen it.
    I've got a couple rolls of the pink tape at home. I'll check who makes it, I know it's easy to find around here. What I like about it is that it's a little thicker/tougher than most tapes, and doesn't get as stringy when you start threading it together. I find it's a better seal too.

Choose Freedom - UKIP Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby's Avatar

I don't like using ptfe at all but it's about the only thing that will stop Swagelock fittings from leaking.

I have heard that ptfe does not break down at all in the environment, it just gets ground into smaller pieces producing this:

BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Warning on plastic's toxic threat

Also, when burned it produces very poisonous gas.