+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mull May 17/18/19 Evelyn Rose/Buitenzorg and HMS Jason

Temp Read Only Mode ccr_ada is just really nice ccr_ada is just really nice ccr_ada is just really nice ccr_ada is just really nice ccr_ada is just really nice ccr_ada is just really nice ccr_ada is just really nice ccr_ada is just really nice ccr_ada is just really nice ccr_ada is just really nice ccr_ada's Avatar

Wink Mull May 17/18/19 Evelyn Rose/Buitenzorg and HMS Jason

Who fancies a dip on this
    The 'Evelyn Rose'

EVELYN ROSE was no stranger to peril in her 36 year life, in December of 1948 she sprang a leak off Iceland but managed to limp home. The following year she ran aground in the Western Isles and tore a hole in her bow. A few months prior to her loss she went ashore once more on the west coast of Kerrera.
    The Second World War saw her under command of Arthur Lewis who made several crossings between Ramsgate and Dunkirk during the evacuation. Once he berthed alongside a burning pier and took off 403 men. On the last trip EVELYN ROSE was so badly damaged that she had to be beached at Ramsgate.
    On New Year's Eve, 1954, at about 01:00, under the command of skipper Dawson, she struck the shore to the north of Ardtornish Point due to her passing the wrong side of the light. Ardtornish Point is low lying and the cliffs a few hundred yards inshore obscured it on the radar screen. This caused the skipper to overestimate the distance to the light and she hit the rocks 15 yards to the north west of the light.
    Skipper Dawson was on watch with 2 deckhands but the rest of the crew were turned in when she struck. As they rushed on deck to launch a boat the trawler's bow was pointing skyward and she slipped off the rocks and sank in 40 fathoms of water taking all but 2 of her crew with her. The survivors walked 5 miles to the nearest house to raise the alarm.
    The wreck has recently been located by side scan sonar and excellent pictures have been made of the vessel lying almost vertically, bows upwards.

http://float-trawlers.lancashire.gov...70&r=2&t=4&x=7

I have a boat booked for the weekend May 17th/18th/19th
    we could also dive the Buitenzorg
    this is well worth a look at http://www.lochalinedivecentre.co.uk...20r eport.pdf
    just found this out

“We were busy with other dives and then we had a run of very bad weather with winds.

“But we will have a good go at it next year for certain.

“I can’t say exactly when but we are still as keen as ever to the dive.”

The second dive is being urged by former Fleetwood man Dick Barton whose father, also called Dick, died on the ship. Mr Barton had been researching the loss and hoping to organise a dive when he discovered that Mr Brown had already done one in July 2005.

Among the footage taken by Mr Brown was the ship’s telegraph – used to signal the engine room.

It is show in the ‘Stop’ position, evidence Evelyn Rose took only three minutes to go down after striking rocks below the Ardtornish Point light.

Mr Barton said: “I would be delighted if Steve brought something back.

The ship’s bell has to be somewhere. It could go on display in Fleetwood Museum.”
    The full article contains 294 words and appears in Fleetwood Weekly News newspaper.

i found this here Dive on trawler wreck stopped by weather - Blackpool Today

email me for more info ccr_ada@hotmail.com
    or ring me 07971475781

ada
    ps
    looks like we could have the marks for HMS Jason as well in 80m

Temp Read Only Mode ccr_ada is just really nice ccr_ada is just really nice ccr_ada is just really nice ccr_ada is just really nice ccr_ada is just really nice ccr_ada is just really nice ccr_ada is just really nice ccr_ada is just really nice ccr_ada is just really nice ccr_ada is just really nice ccr_ada's Avatar

Wink Re: Mull May 17/18/19 Evelyn Rose/Buitenzorg and HMS Jason

lets hope we don't get any fog!
    and the skipper is ok to go for it

i would like the water a little warmer this weekend tho

ada

well we got on the wreck of the Evelyn Rose
    the shot was in 120m and we did 126m total bottom time 15mins but only on the bottom for 2/3mins
    as it was only 10deg water temp so it was cold with just over 3h deco to do
    the wreck is covered in dead man's fingers
    the viz was good with a torch but i had one of my greenforce torches not turn on
    i had a video camera clipped to me so got some footage of the wreck

the current hardly moved we unclipped the station from the shot and we hardly moved for around 20mins
    in total in just over 3h we moved around 1/3 of a mile we had a few big ships go past but all was ok

Jon Adams, Gary Liddell and me that got to the wreck only Jon and me moved off the shot Gary came down just as we where on the way back up the shot but he saw the wreck
    Ted's ccr failed in 10m of water so he got out!
    also Gary's inspo lid came undone and Ted sorted that out for him before he descended

;)

Jon Ted me and Gary getting ready to go

me taking the station in

I'm already down then Jon ,Ted and Gary with his vision case open!

big ship not far away going past

me and Jon on the station at the 6m stop

me getting back on the boat Brendan

Gary me Jon Ted

thanks to the skipper {Dave} on the Brendan for all the help :wink:

ada

SOUND OF MULL 6th 7th & 8th SEPTEMBER 2008

Spaces on 2 boats diving the wrecks in and around the sound of mull
    on 6/7/8 September 2008

2 boats 1 will be normal sound of mull stuff like Hispania, Shuna, Rondo, Thesis and some other well known wrecks
    the other doing trimix diving

the boats will be from Lochaline Boat Charters - Welcome
    the accommodation is at Lochaline Dive Centre

link's to the last trip Mull May 17/18/19 Evelyn Rose/Buitenzorg
    Diving Free Speech! :: View topic - mull may 2008

ada
    give me a bell if you fancy it on 07971475781
    or email ccr_ada@tiscali.co.uk

+ Reply to Thread