+ Reply to Thread

Thread: O2 Injection Question

Divetart Smudgegs has a spectacular aura about Smudgegs has a spectacular aura about Smudgegs has a spectacular aura about Smudgegs has a spectacular aura about Smudgegs has a spectacular aura about Smudgegs's Avatar

O2 Injection Question

Ok, an idle question while the weather excludes diving here!

I've been offered some kit which would allow me to inject O2 into the dolphin, now presumably, (with appropriate O2 monitoring of course), this would allow me to run a mix which would otherwise be hypoxic near the surface and top up the O2 as required, thereby extending my maximum depth.

Soooo my questions are,
    Does anyone on here run a similar setup?
    What would people think might be a maximum depth with this arrangement?
    What minor detail have I forgotten about which will undoubtedly see Mrs Smudge collecting the insurance!? (assuming I have)

Over to the experts... :)

Brent - Narked at 90
    divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld's Avatar
    Deep Pursuit or a Camelion

and 11 others inc. a UT-240

Re: O2 Injection Question

Quote Originally Posted by Smudgegs  View Original Post
    Ok, an idle question while the weather excludes diving here!

I've been offered some kit which would allow me to inject O2 into the dolphin, now presumably, (with appropriate O2 monitoring of course), this would allow me to run a mix which would otherwise be hypoxic near the surface and top up the O2 as required, thereby extending my maximum depth.

Soooo my questions are,
    Does anyone on here run a similar setup?
    What would people think might be a maximum depth with this arrangement?
    What minor detail have I forgotten about which will undoubtedly see Mrs Smudge collecting the insurance!? (assuming I have)

Over to the experts... :)
    Do a KISS course and convert your dolphin accordingly. Make sure you have training fro hypoxic Diluents.
    Otherwise, in all seriousness, the best you can hope for and not run the risk of a serious incedent is accelorated deco by adding O2 into your loop when decompressing at 6m.
    You are adding another tank, O2 inject and staying semi closed? and a Hypoxic Dil? Homebuild hell here Im afraid.

I make the above statement with a complete lack of knowledge as to your training and expertise, but in the full knowledge that hypoxic dil can kill in less than two minutes.

Brent
    Copying skips understanding. Understanding is how you grow. You have to understand why something works or why something is how it is. When you copy it, you miss that. WWW.NARKEDAT90.COM
    www.puwer.co.uk PUWER and Machinery CE Marking www.ce-eu.com

An independent diver. bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso's Avatar
    MCCR Dolphin

Yeh, since back in 2000. www.airheadsscuba.com/rbrsprt.html

A lot of people have done it. It is my preferred kit.

Dale

Divetart Smudgegs has a spectacular aura about Smudgegs has a spectacular aura about Smudgegs has a spectacular aura about Smudgegs has a spectacular aura about Smudgegs has a spectacular aura about Smudgegs's Avatar

Thanks for the replies gents. It is in the plan to do a KISS course sometime but of course the problem in the UK is you have to own a KISS to do the course as it's not CE approved so no-one is allowed to rent you one.

A bl**dy stupid way to allegedly protect our safety imho but hey, that's a different argument.

So yes... I think now, having had a cuppa and reflected on it for a bit, the way forward for me is to continue experience building on the set and *if* I use the O2 injection then use it for rich deco mixes as suggested.

Closing it properly would undoubtedly work... but then if I sell my Dolphin and my twinset I'm probably more than two thirds of the way to a decent used CK... and that has recognised support, no dramas using it at commercial sites/boats and an *excellent* safety record.

Hmmm, must stop thinking as I type and try thinking first, keep answering my own questions! :o

Ta for the brainstorming gents :)

John Routley
    narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90's Avatar

you still have options, you can do a generic ccr course, there are a few inscructors around now that will do this for you on a converted unit.
    i dived a ccr dreager for many years and never had problems on boats or dive sites, but it will teach you alot about rebreathers, infact i can point to most of the newer manufactures on the market now that started off converting dreagers, there was many of us that started off at the same time and used the same list to post to long before rbw came about.
    The Dolphin is a fantastic gas extender, I can see no reasonable argument why you shouldnt have an O2 feed for deco with the right knowledge and experience. It makes a very efficient way to deco without having to carry vast amounts of gas. It's also a great stepping stone to full CCR.
    If you fit a very small O2 bottle with some adaptors form Martin at Tecme to plumb in the O2 into a second small orifice and tee into the ADV feed. when your ready for pure O2, just turn off your main tank and open your O2. This will require experience and discipline to be safe.
    If your advancing to the point of needing accelorated deco, then the 60% jet is probably becoming obsolete, you could use this as your O2 jet. The 60 jet flows about 5.5ltr/min if I remeber correctly, it has two jets inside that split the flow between them. If you cant find a 100% jet then you could use one of the 60% orifices to flow 2.5ltr min.
    There are significant risks in running a pure o2 rebreather, many military personel have found out to their misfortune and died. Better to get some expert tuition to get the most out of this mode.
    Undoubtably there is a reasoned argument that you are increasing the risks without the advatages of CCR but I just wanted to pass on some thoughts.
    kind regards john routley
    you know...life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,
    Its about learning to dance in the rain..

Supporting Shearwater Research Products in Europe

Brent - Narked at 90
    divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld's Avatar
    Deep Pursuit or a Camelion

and 11 others inc. a UT-240

Quote Originally Posted by narked at 90  View Original Post
    you still have options, you can do a generic ccr course, there are a few inscructors around now that will do this for you on a converted unit.
    Dave Cooper on RBW here does a generic course. I cant recommend him highly enough.
    Copying skips understanding. Understanding is how you grow. You have to understand why something works or why something is how it is. When you copy it, you miss that. WWW.NARKEDAT90.COM
    www.puwer.co.uk PUWER and Machinery CE Marking www.ce-eu.com

+ Reply to Thread