+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Thread: North Carolina Rebreather Trip -- August 2008

Tim Owens netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage's Avatar

Re: North Carolina Rebreather Trip -- August 2008

Any advise for folks driving in when to get off I-95....?

Last time I let the GPS route me and I spent forever on back roads and state highways making the milk run thru every little town and stop light....

Olympus's site only really mentions 70, which I seem to remember as being mostly fairly high speed....

-Tim

debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole's Avatar
    KISS Spirit & JJ-CCR

Kiss Classic & Sport, Kiss GEM

Tim:

This is from my notes from last year's trip.

Directions:
    I-95 to NC 24 (around Fayetteville)
    East on NC 24 (multiple turns – follow signs carefully)
    Becomes NC 70 in Morehead City
    Turn on 8th Street to get to the water and the dive shop

I'll be getting in LATE Tuesday night so I'll see you guys early Wednesday.

Doug

EBT called me stroppy! Jordan will become famous soon enough Jordan will become famous soon enough Jordan will become famous soon enough Jordan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jradomski  View Original Post
    personally I would never suggest a 19 as adequate bailout for any of the off shore wrecks.. at depth you most likely couldn;t swim the lenth of most wrecks and stuill get up the line.. a 40 is the perfect bottle for most as its a good tradeoff for available gas and how well it sits on most divers... If anything leave non essential gear like video and camera gear on shore, never life support/safety gear...
    Definitely good advice. Definitely, yes bring the 40's.

Before my injury I hauled a 40 or usually 2 40's around everywhere (although was mostly in caves with yet another stashed O2 just in case tank)...Now the 19 is about all I care to handle on boat ladders. Don't forget in OW I utilize my onboard gas as potential bail as well. I use the ole Air 2 and O2 adapter thingy so that is quite a bit of gas, unless of course I was stuck inside a wreck, or something. I just don't do much if any deco and dive like a sissy. Currents scare me too, of course. My thought there is that I would just float it out as I am comfortable making free ascents and carry a big neon green float (which btw have heard the neon green is more visible than the orange color from both boats and choppers).

Underwater Journal Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns's Avatar
    KISS Explorer & Spirit LTE

KIS Sport, KISS GEM, Dolphin

Well, if everyone who is going on the Aug 20 – 22 North Carolina trip has been like me, then you have been sharing the same amount of concern over what/where Fay is going to go.

As of 7:30 am, Aug 18, 2008, Fay is forecast to regain strength once it moves over the Straits of Florida later today and could be a hurricane by the time it passes over the Dry Tortugas later this afternoon.

On Tuesday, Fay is forecast to graze the Clearwater area before making landfall late Tuesday or early Wednesday near Cedar Key, Fla.

Four to 8 inches of rain is forecast in Florida, along with a strong storm surge and tides of 3 to 6 feet above normal in areas (lower Keys and Florida’s southern west coast) of an onshore flow.

There will be the potential for tornado development as the winds interact with the mainland.

The South Regional News story reports the rain will spread across the Southeast later in the week, helping to ease the long-standing drought conditions in Georgia and the Carolinas.

What does this mean for the North Carolina? Well, if Fay sticks to her projected path, beating itself out over land as it makes its way north through Florida and Georgia, the probability of us seeing anything more than irritating rain storms will most like take place by late Thursday, making Friday a little iffy.
    Last edited by Walt Stearns; 15th December 2008 at 13:47.

EBT called me stroppy! Jordan will become famous soon enough Jordan will become famous soon enough Jordan will become famous soon enough Jordan's Avatar

I like Noaa's offshore forecasts (NWS Marine Offshore Marine Forecasts by Zone). For where you guys will be, I usually view HATTERAS CANYON TO CAPE FEAR. which says:

WED
    WINDS BECOMING E TO SE 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS BUILDING TO 3 TO
    6 FT...HIGHEST SW.

WED NIGHT
    E WINDS 10 TO 20 KT. SEAS 3 TO 6 FT. HIGHEST WINDS
    AND SEAS SW.

THU
    E WINDS 10 TO 20 KT. SEAS BUILDING TO 4 TO 8 FT. HIGHEST
    WINDS AND SEAS SW.

FRI
    E TO SE WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 4 TO 6 FT.

And then I also view CAPE FEAR TO 31N which says:

WED
    W OF 1000 FM...E TO SE WINDS INCREASING TO 20 TO 30 KT.
    SEAS BUILDING TO 6 TO 11 FT...HIGHEST SW. SHOWERS AND ISOLATED
    TSTMS W. E OF 1000 FM...E TO SE WINDS INCREASING TO 15 TO 25 KT
    LATE. SEAS BUILDING TO 4 TO 8 FT...HIGHEST SW. SCATTERED SHOWERS.

WED NIGHT
    W OF 1000 FM...E TO SE WINDS 25 TO 30 KT. SEAS
    BUILDING TO 8 TO 14 FT...HIGHEST SW. E OF 1000 FM...E TO SE
    WINDS 15 TO 25 KT. SEAS 5 TO 9 FT. HIGHEST CONDITIONS SW.

THU
    W OF 1000 FM...E TO NE WINDS 20 TO 30 KT. SEAS 8 TO 15
    FT...EXCEPT FAR SW PORTION BUILDING TO 19 FT. E OF 1000 FM...E
    WINDS 15 TO 25 KT. SEAS 5 TO 10 FT. HIGHEST CONDITIONS W.

FRI
    WINDS DIMINISHING TO E TO SE 15 TO 20 KT. SEAS SUBSIDING
    TO 5 TO 9 FT. HIGHEST CONDITIONS W.

And then I usually split the two. It doesn't look like the best conditions, sorry guys.

debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole's Avatar
    KISS Spirit & JJ-CCR

Kiss Classic & Sport, Kiss GEM

Here is a link to the trip report and photos:

http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showthread.php?t=21147

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Doug, thanks for the nice report.

I wonder if anyone on the dives could spare a few Sand Tiger teeth. I started a OW class today with a couple of teens and I would like to give them a few as I tell the story of the trip. I forgot to pick up a few myself.
    PM me and I will give you my address.

Thanks, John

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10