+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: North Carolina Rebreather Trip -- August 2008

debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole's Avatar
    KISS Spirit & JJ-CCR

Kiss Classic & Sport, Kiss GEM

North Carolina Rebreather Trip -- August 2008

I've been talking with several of the members here (especially the SCRUBS subforum guys) about trying to get to North Carolina this summer to dive with the sand tiger sharks again. Walt Stearns, Alan Studley, my daughter and I were there last August with a mix of CCR and OC divers and had a great time.

Walt is organizing a special three-day wrecks and sharks charter for North Carolina.

The wrecks will include the Papoose, U-352 and others. The sharks, well… sand tigers of course, being that they are the flavor of the region and regulars on the wrecks.

The charter is reserved with the Midnight Express at Olympus Dive Center in Morehead City, August 20, 21 and 22, 2008.

The three-day charter will be kept exclusively for rebreather divers. No open circuit.

The Midnight Express is designed to handle 18 passengers. Walt and I have the first two spots, leaving openings for 16.

The charter cost for the three days is $435.00 per diver. Meals and accommodations are up to you. Olympus Dive Center’s has a Dive lodge, which provides a rather inexpensive lodging option for $25 a night.

For more info on both diving North Carolina and Olympus Dive Center you can go to Underwater Journal (go see UWJ-issue2.pdf and the current issue UWJ-issue7.pdf) Also you can visit Olympus Dive Center’s website - Home.

Doug

Underwater Journal Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns's Avatar
    KISS Explorer & Spirit LTE

KIS Sport, KISS GEM, Dolphin

Re: North Carolina Rebreather Trip -- August 2008

Here are a few pics form last summer's North Carolina trip.
    Last edited by Walt Stearns; 15th December 2008 at 13:46.

Underwater Journal Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns's Avatar

O.K. the list of those going is starting to take form.

1. Walt Stearns
    2. Douglas Ebersole
    3. Kim Ebersole
    4. Tom Kean
    5. Thomas Terry and his wife
    7. Michael Scammon
    8. Fergus Butler
    9. Ian Macknight
    10. John Barton
    11. David Williams
    12. Jillian Morris

jeff addis swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver's Avatar
    Revo

Optima

count me in optima diver from se florida

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

Quote Originally Posted by debersole  View Original Post
    I've been talking with several of the members here (especially the SCRUBS subforum guys) about trying to get to North Carolina this summer to dive with the sand tiger sharks again. Walt Stearns, Alan Studley, my daughter and I were there last August with a mix of CCR and OC divers and had a great time.

Walt is organizing a special three-day wrecks and sharks charter for North Carolina.

The wrecks will include the Papoose, U-352 and others. The sharks, well… sand tigers of course, being that they are the flavor of the region and regulars on the wrecks.

The charter is reserved with the Midnight Express at Olympus Dive Center in Morehead City, August 20, 21 and 22, 2008.

The three-day charter will be kept exclusively for rebreather divers. No open circuit.

The Midnight Express is designed to handle 18 passengers. Walt and I have the first two spots, leaving openings for 16.

The charter cost for the three days is $435.00 per diver. Meals and accommodations are up to you. Olympus Dive Center’s has a Dive lodge, which provides a rather inexpensive lodging option for $25 a night.

For more info on both diving North Carolina and Olympus Dive Center you can go to Underwater Journal (go see UWJ-issue2.pdf and the current issue UWJ-issue7.pdf) Also you can visit Olympus Dive Center’s website - Home.

Doug
    Doug,
    for future trips you should definately consider may or june.. Earlier in the season while the water is colder the viz is not quite as good but there are alot more sharks.. as the water warms up alot of the sharks diappear... by august there are only a few sharks compared to the early season..
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

Jradomski – you’re right about May or June as being a better time to find more sharks. I was there in May on one trip two seasons ago, and certainly found a lot of sharks, but the viz half the time was so bad I almost had to use Braille to identify them.

There are often still plenty to see during July and August on wrecks like the Caribsea and Protitus. Besides there is more to the region than just sharks which adds to the fun.
    Last edited by Walt Stearns; 15th December 2008 at 13:46.

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

Quote Originally Posted by UWshutterbug  View Original Post
    Jradomski – you’re right about May or June as being a better time to find more sharks. I was there in May on one trip two seasons ago, and certainly found a lot of sharks, but the viz half the time was so bad I almost had to use Braille to identify them.

There are often still plenty to see during July and August on wrecks like the Caribsea and Protitus. Besides there is more to the region than just sharks which adds to the fun.

The inshore stuff can really be iffy early in the season.. Offshore is much better... The problem early in the season is that the weather is much more unpredictable and storms can really screw up the viz..
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

Smile, how bad can it be? Eliot Danner will become famous soon enough Eliot Danner will become famous soon enough Eliot Danner will become famous soon enough Eliot Danner will become famous soon enough Eliot Danner's Avatar
    KISS, rEvo, Optima, Inspo

Meg, Mk15, Dolphin, Evolution

Count me in. Let me know what the deposit arrangement is and when its due.

Eliot
    Last edited by Eliot Danner; 18th March 2008 at 14:32. Reason: woops

RBW Member FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler's Avatar
    Optima

It looks like we'll ahve at least 4 O2ptima's on the trip so far

RBW Member Terry is an unknown quantity at this point Terry's Avatar
    KISS Classic

Inspiration, Hammerhead

I'm in, I love NC diving -

Terry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast