View Poll Results: ida-59-64-71,automatic o2inject at low level????

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

0 0%
  • no

2 100.00%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: am fresh on the block.

New Member marwan is an unknown quantity at this point marwan's Avatar

am fresh on the block.

thanks for the wellcome guys...ive never had a rebreather yet i realy want to get started with the soviet IDA-71,yet am unsure if this unit can inject o2 automaticly,if o2 levels drop..i heard the IDA-64 can yet i havent been able to find one for sale....t.c

Banned MB is an unknown quantity at this point MB's Avatar

Re: am fresh on the block.

Hi Marwan, welcome and thanks for taking my advice to join us here.

Come and visit the "homebuilders" forum and you will find the IDA-71 modification group there. Start out by doing a search in that forum and then read everything you can find there. We'll welcome you to the forum.

Best,

Dave ******

Re: ida-59 ida-64 ida-71????

im still looking for some answers to my question...hope someone replys ...i know u guys know the stuff like the back of ur hands.....
    do any of the ida series rebreathers inject or purge air on demand or automatc ?...when o2 drops below safe level? and are any of them safe for a 20meter or 65feet dive??????please let me know..

RBW Member Hk101gr is on a distinguished road Hk101gr is on a distinguished road Hk101gr's Avatar
    Megalodon

Welcome to the forum marwan, your question is kinda strange though. The ida series of rebreathers is an antigued remnant of old times. They don't do the things you ask, as a matter of fact most of them need user modifications to be dived safely . Better do as Dave said and run a search at the homebuilders list and read all the info you can find.

Banned MB is an unknown quantity at this point MB's Avatar

I think the lack of response is a nice way of the guys here saying "do some reading" as it's all been discussed here previously. There is an ethic among the homebuilders to not 'give away' information but to help others 'seek information' in order to make sure that the guys who decide to modify and work on rigs really understand what they are doing, and are not just following directions while not understanding what they are doing.

But.... .... in addition to the complete method of operation for the IDA-71 that is on my website, here's the easy answer to your question.

NONE of the Russian rigs are designed to add 02 into the loop by any recognizable method. So, the fast answer is NO.

IDA-59 is a submarine escape rig designed for a one-way trip *up* thru the water column. If has some hydrostatically actuated flow-rate changes for it's essentially semi-closed mode, but none are helpful for a diver *descending* thru the water column.

IDA-64 is only an 02 rig.

IDA-71 is an 02 rig when dived as-is. Study it here: Untitled

When the external nitrox cylinder is added, the system behaves in a unique way. Read and UNDERSTAND this perfectly: Untitled

Everything you need to know is right there. The bottom line is that these need to be modified substantially in order to be suitable for sport diving use. The homebuilders forum is literally filled with articles on how different divers have modified their rigs, and I sincerely suggest that you go to that forum, use the search function to seach for "IDA-71" and then start reading. It might take a week to read it all. Post your questions there and you'll be all set. Many divers have built a nice rig out of an IDA-71, but it takes effort and time, and in order to do a nice job with quality components it will cost nearly as much as a factory-ready CCR might cost on the used market.

Best,

Dave

Last edited by MB; 17th March 2008 at 13:10.

RBW Member Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy's Avatar

I explored that route before finally deciding:
    -I wanted no injection dependent on electronics.
    -I did not want to heavily modify a unit because of cost and time. It is very easy to underestimate the time and money involved in such an undertaking.

In addition to that you *may have* problems getting trained and/or certified causing you to get killed or miss dives.

thanks again for answering most of my questions ...i realy wanted some of the other guys that have tried this thing under water to answer,,and i realy dont mind reading all ur articles and posts and stuff..its just hard to explain that i have no way of modifying or having someone do it for me in this town...and i dont want to buy into a project for 3 to 4 years....im a diver and a spearfisherman,,,im honestly looking for a complete unit or one thats ready like uve amaizingly done....again i live in a flintstone town ,no machine shop here is worthy of creating a bottle cap ,,,,so ill look for something more complete......and ill keep in mind the hush hush code between all divers here ,,thanks a million for the advise and answers.....
    and thanks alot to the guys that did answer or comment,,i appreciate every bit of it....
    Last edited by marwan; 17th March 2008 at 18:00.

+ Reply to Thread