+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "Diver" By Tony Groom

Alias - Ray Mansell kiwi_diver will become famous soon enough kiwi_diver will become famous soon enough kiwi_diver will become famous soon enough kiwi_diver's Avatar
    AKA-60 Orca SCR

"Diver" By Tony Groom

I caught a mention of this book on a RBW post by one of the UK lads a couple of weeks ago and thought I'd track down a copy and have a read.

I ended up buying direct from his web site DIVER DIVER. A diving book. Diving, scuba, saturation, a life under water. and it was delivered UK to NZ within a week.

A most interesting account of Tony's diving experiences, from enlistment in the RN as a Diver through CD duty in the South Pacific and then the Falklands to Sat diving in civvie street. He actually trained on, and used in earnest, a CDBA as seen on Dave ******s site.

Anyway, I've enjoyed reading it and I'm sure others who take the time to buy a copy will as well.

New Member marinetek1 is an unknown quantity at this point marinetek1's Avatar

Re: "Diver" By Tony Groom

I've had the book on Amazon backorder for several months and received it last week prior to a week's holiday - great timing!

It's a good read especially around the Navy training and Falklands conflict. The sections on commercial diving were interesting but ran dry towards the end.

Good pictures - recommended read!

Dept. of Redundancy Dept. Celia_E has a spectacular aura about Celia_E has a spectacular aura about Celia_E has a spectacular aura about Celia_E has a spectacular aura about Celia_E has a spectacular aura about Celia_E has a spectacular aura about Celia_E's Avatar
    Second star to the right, straight on 'til morning...
    Megalodon

Just finished the book, after my husband (Scott ) did (it was a present to him).

Loved it!

As former US ARmy helicopter pilots and war vets we can both relate quite a bit, I highly recommend the read. Written in easy style (it's like you're there) and humorous (with sobering bits too) it's easy reading and enjoyable.

Thank you Tony!

Dive safe,

Celia

RBW Member Groupie59 has a spectacular aura about Groupie59 has a spectacular aura about Groupie59 has a spectacular aura about Groupie59 has a spectacular aura about Groupie59 has a spectacular aura about Groupie59's Avatar

Celia

Tony Groom here. Thanks for that. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I've got the bug sooo bad I'm now more than half way through my first ever novel, and guess what? He happens to be an Ex RN re-breather diver! Well, they say write about what you know!

Tony

YouTube - Deeps47's Channel

RBW Member Groupie59 has a spectacular aura about Groupie59 has a spectacular aura about Groupie59 has a spectacular aura about Groupie59 has a spectacular aura about Groupie59 has a spectacular aura about Groupie59's Avatar

It's a good read especially around the Navy training and Falklands conflict. The sections on commercial diving were interesting but ran dry towards the end.

Good pictures - recommended read![/quote]

Ran Dry toward the end? Very funny. I'm gonna cry myself to sleep now!

Tony

Cheers Ray

Glad you enjoyed it. I've lost track of re-breathers. It would appear you are wearing a storm troopers back pack from star wars in the picture below your name!

Thanks again Tony

DIVER DIVER. A diving book. Diving, scuba, saturation, a life under water.
    Last edited by Groupie59; 9th June 2008 at 20:39. Reason: Link added

Resident Selkie hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat's Avatar
    Megladon

A friend loaned me this book a week ago and I was unable to put it down. It is a hilarious and, at times, poignant look at the author's career as a diver, first as a Royal Navy Clearance Diver, and then as a commercial oil field diver. The author's lack of pretension and self effacing humor, as well as the subject matter, make for an entertaining and informative read.

I particularly liked reading about the author's experiences in the Falklands. I was only a kid when the Falkland's Conflict occured, and know very little about it- but reading this book has inspired me to learn more!

After reading the book, I have to say that Tony Groom sounds like a great guy, and one I'd love to buy a pint for. Thanks, Tony!!

(also posted on Amazon)

Heather

+ Reply to Thread