+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Difference between breathing hoses

Petri Keskitalo P3 is a jewel in the rough P3 is a jewel in the rough P3 is a jewel in the rough P3 is a jewel in the rough P3 is a jewel in the rough P3 is a jewel in the rough P3 is a jewel in the rough P3 is a jewel in the rough P3's Avatar

Difference between breathing hoses

With all these WOB discussions i would like to know how big difference you could get with hoses with a smooth inner (cooper etc) compared to corrugated hoses (like most manufacturers use)?
    And what would be optimal I.D?

I like diving chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter's Avatar
    Mk15.5, Mk15

Inpisspiration, KISS

Re: Difference between breathing hoses

Quote Originally Posted by heigo  View Original Post
    With all these WOB discussions i would like to know how big difference you could get with hoses with a smooth inner (cooper etc) compared to corrugated hoses (like most manufacturers use)?
    And what would be optimal I.D?
    I'm not being scientific here, but my feeling is that a smooth inner compared to corrugated hoses will make little or no difference to WOB. I think the major issues there are major constrictions, and counterlung positioning. I have noticed no difference between diving Cooper hoses on my Mk 15.5 compared to standard hoses.

I think that a 1.25" ID is pretty ideal. I don't think you get much added benefit from a larger ID, especially if there are any constrictions smaller than that in the unit.

Aloha,
    Charlie
    Last edited by chunter; 13th February 2008 at 19:53.

rEvo's daddy
    paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers's Avatar
    rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by chunter  View Original Post
    I'm not being scientific here, but my feeling is that a smooth inner compared to corrugated hoses will make little or no difference to WOB. I think the major issues there are major constrictions, and counterlung positioning. I have noticed no difference between diving Cooper hoses on my Mk 15.5 compared to standard hoses.

I think that a 1.25" ID is pretty ideal. I don't think you get much added benefit from a larger ID, especially if there are any constrictions smaller than that in the unit.

Aloha,
    Charlie
    just to give an idee: the 2.4 WOB we got in the highly modified rEvo, was with: drager ray hoses!!! (the ones we currently have on the rEvo's)

paul
    www.rEvo-rebreathers.com
    ...."Yes you have to pre-breathe to activate the scrubber sorb, anyone who says different doesn't know what they are talking about!"...
    .... to get more accurate CO2 injection in the breathing machine we put 2 mass flow controllers in series ...
    .... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...
    .... radial scrubbers give longer dwell time than axials...
    .... the earth is flat and ...

Moderator ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami's Avatar

Hoses have additional trade-offs that have to be considered in answering your question. You can make them bigger inside, but too big becomes a minus. You also start to get problems with stiffness and comfort with certain configurations. Length of the breathing loop come into play, too.

It's not a one size fits all kind of answer. The hoses, canister and other components of the loop determine what will be the best fit.

Banned MB is an unknown quantity at this point MB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chunter  View Original Post
    I have noticed no difference between diving Cooper hoses on my Mk 15.5 compared to standard hoses.

Agreed. Cooper, Draeger Ray, and Dreager Dolphin hoses on a Mark-15 all breathe the same to me. Coopers are easier to dry out, but that's about it. Ray hoses still dive best... flexable and comfy. Love 'em.

Dave