+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SK hoses

New Member WBA is an unknown quantity at this point WBA's Avatar

SK hoses

I have the standard SK hoses but find them a little too long. I will more than likely pick up a pair of the shorter (17"?) hoses but I'm concerned they may restrict lateral head movement to some extent.
    Is there a middle of the road solution? Is trimming the hoses recommended or not?

TIA
    Wayne

Acme Serpentine Lubricant lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland's Avatar
    The hoses have a moulded cuff on the end to mate with the appropriate rigid parts. Trim the hose and you lose the cuff. I've done it with Draeger hoses, they still work but I found the connection isn't terribly reliable.

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WBA
    I have the standard SK hoses but find them a little too long. I will more than likely pick up a pair of the shorter (17"?) hoses but I'm concerned they may restrict lateral head movement to some extent.
    Is there a middle of the road solution? Is trimming the hoses recommended or not?

TIA
    Wayne
    Wayne,

I have tried a bunch of lengths and found that (as you mentioned):
    • Too short will restrict movement side-to-side
    • Too short might force the hose to bend to sharp, and with soft hose, they might get kinked.
    • Trimming hose is OK depending on the hose end. With the SK QD hose ends, it is better that you have a flat area to clamp down with the split rings. However, I have clamped down over corrugated ends before with no problem as long as the material isn't too thick/hard.
    • If you could obtain some Inspiration hoses, they are nice and soft. And easy to trim.
    Can't recommend an exact hose length since different people have different "thicknesses" and also depending on the gears used as well (i.e. flat BP or low angle BL, BCD, O/A-pac, etc)

+ Reply to Thread