+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dry Suit with Chest-Mounted Rebreather

RBW Member robertfondren is an unknown quantity at this point robertfondren's Avatar

Dry Suit with Chest-Mounted Rebreather

Hello all,
    Okay, how do you gals and guys integrate a chest-mounted rebreather (such as an IDA59, IDA76, or C96) with a drysuit with a chest-mounted inflator button? Certainly they're not mutually exclusive. Last time I tried, the scrubber hit the inflator button, completely draining my pony tank. I've since switched to an inflator with button(s) on the side, so shouldn't come into contact with the inflator button, but I'm yet to try this arrangement, and I'm still concerned about access to the inflator when I need it. Thoughts? Suggestions? As I'm @ a temperate latitude in the winter, diving wet won't be an option for a few more months, and even in mid-summer, the bottom temp is always no higher than the mid-fifties (F)
    SIGNED: Looking for a workable System!
    Regards

Decodiver

Re: Dry Suit with Chest-Mounted Rebreather

Hi Robert,

Move the inflator to the front of your right or left hip.

Cheers,

Dave Cooper.

RBW Member robertfondren is an unknown quantity at this point robertfondren's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Decodiver  View Original Post
    Hi Robert,

Move the inflator to the front of your right or left hip.

Cheers,

Dave Cooper.
    Thanks, Dave
    Do they make a plug for the hole in the chest, and where would I get one? Alternatively, I do have an extra exhaust valve, so I guess I just need the courage to cut my suit!
    Thanks

Decodiver

Quote Originally Posted by robertfondren  View Original Post
    Thanks, Dave
    Do they make a plug for the hole in the chest, and where would I get one? Alternatively, I do have an extra exhaust valve, so I guess I just need the courage to cut my suit!
    Thanks
    Not sure, but any drysuit repair shop should be able to patch it for you, I would guess.

Cheers,

Dave Cooper.

Normal people worry me jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robertfondren  View Original Post
    Thanks, Dave
    Thanks
    Si-Tech makes a blank plug for their valves, look at the bottom of this link:
    http://www.si-techuk.com/pdf/retail_catalogue.pdf

Just remember the diameter of the hole and the designs can differ between valve manufacturers.
    If you decide for the hip and use a weight belt make sure to think about the hose routing.

Another trick is to remove the top of the chest inflate button to make the button slightly recessed on the inlet valve. There can typically be a small thing with a logo on that can be removed on the very top of the button. That way it does not get depressed by the chestmount. With some practice its still farily easy to slide the hand in and press the button.
    Last edited by jaap; 1st February 2008 at 12:40.

Thanks one and all. I actually have an inflator valve with side-inflation buttons now, so I may have already handled the accidental-inflation problem. Still a little concerned about safe access to the button. Also cosidered switching the inflator and exhaust valves, giving me arm-inflation, but then the auto-exhaust may be blocked by my rebreather.
    JAAP, the links were very helpful.
    Ultimately just going to have to find the best arrangement through practice.

RBW Member mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot's Avatar

Most tactical combat drysuits have the inflator on the left side, about mid-torso, to accomodate a chest mounted RB.

Banned MB is an unknown quantity at this point MB's Avatar

Never has been an issue with my Viking suit and any of the chest rigs: The valve is off to the left side a little and they never interfered with each other. Ditto my DUI suits. The valves are all off to the side 'just enough'.

Dave

It's a relatively cheap suit, O-neil (oneal?), but I always have to do everything perfectly the first time. Anyone with any sense knows, of course, that very little gets attempted or accomplished with this mind-set. It's a problem... Thank God for a resource like this to share ideas! It greatly shortens the learning curve.

Decodiver

Robert,

I would advise against swapping the places of your valves, it may prove difficult to remove the LP hose in the event of a runaway inflation, but more importantly you would have to roll onto your back to dump when necessary, trust me, that is not the most comfortable position on a chest-mounted rig.

Cheers,

Dave.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast