+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Best Diving Movie

untitled tibby has a spectacular aura about tibby has a spectacular aura about tibby has a spectacular aura about tibby has a spectacular aura about tibby has a spectacular aura about tibby's Avatar

Re: Best Diving Movie

Quote Originally Posted by sadave  View Original Post
    Men of Honour, de Niro and Denzel Washington.

Great movie, one of my favorites.
    Sorry to correct, I think it's with De Niro and Cuba Gooding Jr. but who cares, good movie, watched it the other day as a matter of fact.
    Tibby

RBW Member sailordiver@msn.com is on a distinguished road sailordiver@msn.com is on a distinguished road sailordiver@msn.com's Avatar
    sport KISS

"Arc of a Diver" available on amazon.com. Stunning visuals of Lembeh Strait exotica. TRT 23min. You can see segments of it on YouTube, parts 1 through 4.

Jani Haaja jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja's Avatar
    JJ-CCR, Inspo Classic

HH Inspo

Quote Originally Posted by jsevland  View Original Post
    Hi all

Trying to get through the winter until my on-month-of-diving in Sharm, I am re-viewing diving-related movies.

My all time favourite is "The Abyss". Probably watched it over ten times.
    Truly like the concept of the underwater drillers and the "authenticity" of the work environment. Ed Harris is a great character in this type of roles (also Apollo 13 and The Right Stuff).
    The film also has my all time favourite quote, when the female engineer (Lindsey) is taking the mini-sub down to the drilling-station: Topside is wishing her "Good Luck", and she calmly answers: "Luck, is not a factor!" (if only I could say that without sounding ironic

Another great one, is the french film "Le Grand Bleu" (The Big Blue) - not to be confused with "The Deep Blue Sea" (which is cr*p). The Big Blue is about freediving, but great underwater scenes.

There is also a Norwegian film called "Dykket" (The Dive) from 1989, where the plot is two commecial North Sea divers that gets trapped in a diving bell due to a storm (not unlike The Abyss - but with a lower budget and no alians . I'm afraid it is close to impossible to get hold of this film outside of Norway. I haven't seen this since it was new, and suspect the action and pace is too slow for todays audiences.

I have also seen The Cave (twice) and understand that some of you have been involved in the porduction. The diving is good, but the plot/monsters are too much for my taste.

I see in other threads that the latest National Threasure (and other films) have glimpses of rebreathers, but hope to get pointers to more dive-related films (still over a month to go, before I leave for Egypt) :)

jsevland
    You can find Dykket from CDON.COM, I think I will order one for me :)

JH

Under Antarctic Ice by Norbert Wu has some amazing underwater scenes.

Alias - Ray Mansell kiwi_diver will become famous soon enough kiwi_diver will become famous soon enough kiwi_diver will become famous soon enough kiwi_diver's Avatar
    AKA-60 Orca SCR

"The Deep" for sure, JB certainly did it for me and I'd have to say she's still a fine looking woman in her 60's! She spawned the whole wet t-shirt thing and she did it so well. :) Nolte's Spinnaker reg, Shaw jumping over the side with nothing more than a steelie tucked under his arm. And a bit of Surface Supply action thrown in for good measure. Ah, those were the days.

The Jessica Alba one was, of course, little more than a remake along similar themes. She's overrated IMO. The real hottie was the blondie who got her arse bit off. :D

The Abyss is quite meritable, and "Deepstar 6" with Cindy Pickett had a cool 1 ATM rig in it.
    Last edited by kiwi_diver; 30th January 2008 at 22:17.

RBW Member Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie's Avatar

The Cave is funny to watch as a diver as are most films with diving in. Even the documentary's with diving in tend to be a bit fictitious and hyped up.

I guess that diving just doesn't make good viewing.

Decodiver

Quote Originally Posted by Beanie  View Original Post

I guess that diving just doesn't make good viewing.
    Cousteau built a career on it.

RBW Member Lumikuru is an unknown quantity at this point Lumikuru's Avatar

BBC documentary The Secrets of Mayan Underground, tells about the cenotes of Yucatan.
    Last edited by Lumikuru; 1st February 2008 at 11:30.

RBW Member shil will become famous soon enough shil will become famous soon enough shil will become famous soon enough shil's Avatar

the orignal 'Silent World" by JY Cousteau, a classic.

Shil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4