+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Best Diving Movie

RBW Member jsevland is just really nice jsevland is just really nice jsevland is just really nice jsevland is just really nice jsevland is just really nice jsevland is just really nice jsevland is just really nice jsevland is just really nice jsevland is just really nice jsevland's Avatar

Best Diving Movie

Hi all

Trying to get through the winter until my on-month-of-diving in Sharm, I am re-viewing diving-related movies.

My all time favourite is "The Abyss". Probably watched it over ten times.
    Truly like the concept of the underwater drillers and the "authenticity" of the work environment. Ed Harris is a great character in this type of roles (also Apollo 13 and The Right Stuff).
    The film also has my all time favourite quote, when the female engineer (Lindsey) is taking the mini-sub down to the drilling-station: Topside is wishing her "Good Luck", and she calmly answers: "Luck, is not a factor!" (if only I could say that without sounding ironic

Another great one, is the french film "Le Grand Bleu" (The Big Blue) - not to be confused with "The Deep Blue Sea" (which is cr*p). The Big Blue is about freediving, but great underwater scenes.

There is also a Norwegian film called "Dykket" (The Dive) from 1989, where the plot is two commecial North Sea divers that gets trapped in a diving bell due to a storm (not unlike The Abyss - but with a lower budget and no alians . I'm afraid it is close to impossible to get hold of this film outside of Norway. I haven't seen this since it was new, and suspect the action and pace is too slow for todays audiences.

I have also seen The Cave (twice) and understand that some of you have been involved in the porduction. The diving is good, but the plot/monsters are too much for my taste.

I see in other threads that the latest National Threasure (and other films) have glimpses of rebreathers, but hope to get pointers to more dive-related films (still over a month to go, before I leave for Egypt) :)

jsevland
    Last edited by jsevland; 29th January 2008 at 15:06.

Unbanned cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn's Avatar

Re: Best Diving Movie

Where the Boys Aren't III. Lots of great diving scenes.

RBW Member jsevland is just really nice jsevland is just really nice jsevland is just really nice jsevland is just really nice jsevland is just really nice jsevland is just really nice jsevland is just really nice jsevland is just really nice jsevland is just really nice jsevland's Avatar

Ooch!

I'm a bit slow, but think my customers firewall filter gave an indication of the type of diving involved

Closed Account onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime's Avatar

Some options:

Blue Water White Death
    The Living Sea (IMAX)
    Galapagos (IMAX)
    Whales An Unforgettable Journey (IMAX)

Sebastian Chander Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg's Avatar
    Deep Smeg

Megalodon

Geek Hat On:
    • Thunderball - Great underwater fight scene
    • The Spy Who Loved Me - The underwater lotus, a minisub, and more divers with separguns.
    • For Your Eyes Only - Mixed gas diving and fighting against a guy in a hardsuit
    • Sphere - watch Sharon Stone planning a 2000ft mixed gas rebreather dive on a PADI Wheel
    • The Life Aquatic - brilliantly subtle send up of Jacques Cousteau
    • Ocean Men - beautiful videography depicting the lives of Umberto Pelizzari and Pipin Ferreras
    Enjoy

Seb

untitled tibby has a spectacular aura about tibby has a spectacular aura about tibby has a spectacular aura about tibby has a spectacular aura about tibby has a spectacular aura about tibby's Avatar

Water's Journey - Wes Skiles
    Wakulla Project (I wish I could remember the proper name) - great HD footage

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by jsevland  View Original Post
    Hi all

Trying to get through the winter until my on-month-of-diving in Sharm, I am re-viewing diving-related movies.
    For the cold nights....

Into the Blue with Jessica Alba

Chris Miller undrh2o is a jewel in the rough undrh2o is a jewel in the rough undrh2o is a jewel in the rough undrh2o is a jewel in the rough undrh2o is a jewel in the rough undrh2o is a jewel in the rough undrh2o is a jewel in the rough undrh2o's Avatar
    Dolphin (Atlantis)

IDA-71

As well as some already mentioned - the PBS NOVA documentary "Hilter's lost sub"

Shop PBS - Shop By Interests: World War II Shop: NOVA: Hitler's Lost Sub DVD

Also there was a Documentary on Bikini Atoll from ABC that I bought through the bikini diving site. Can't seem to find a link to it but it was an ABC world of discovery episode on Bikini.

Brent - Narked at 90
    divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld's Avatar
    Deep Pursuit or a Camelion

and 11 others inc. a UT-240

Stingray is still my favourite. I like the authenticity of the strings, and "Phones" Harrissons ear muffs. Marina was always my hero, not because her tits were fake 'an all but mainly coz she never said a word.
    Perfect woman, and she could breathe underwater.

Gerry Anderson, hero to all.
    Copying skips understanding. Understanding is how you grow. You have to understand why something works or why something is how it is. When you copy it, you miss that. WWW.NARKEDAT90.COM
    www.puwer.co.uk PUWER and Machinery CE Marking www.ce-eu.com

RBW Member Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1's Avatar
    ybod

The Deep ,,, :D

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast