+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: My BP-60 success story!

BioPak60 Deathbox! rchrds will become famous soon enough rchrds will become famous soon enough rchrds will become famous soon enough rchrds's Avatar
    BP-60, Revo Mod1

Re: My BP-60 success story!

So, yet another update on the Biopak, lest some think that I gave up on it, caved, and bought a production machine. Yea right.

Just returned from a month in Mexico, where I dove the Biopak for two weeks, almost every day (except for a few missing days when my X-link took a dive) with consecutive 3 and 4 hour dives every day on the 60 scrubber (812 sorb.)

All were cave dives, one dive to 291 feet, but that was an extreme case, most of the diving was between 100 and 210 feet.

As an update, not much as changed on the Biopak, except some of the more critical parts. I exchanged the barb fitting plastic orifice, with a slightly more expensive stainless steel and ruby version from Byrd orifices. This allowed me to connect the plastic tubing in line with collet and nut fittings, providing a more secure connection.

I also attached a Liquivision X-Link, which is absolutely the bees knees. There is nothing like being able to just glance down and see your PO2 in bar format- I dont even have to think about it, and after using it for a while, I no longer have any need or want for a HUD. The only down side is that the X-link died in the middle of a rather shallow dive, with no explanation. Liquivision supplied me with a replacement within 4 days, and I was up and running again, but it was strange. They are working on the old one now, to determine what the problem may have been. So far the replacement has had no issues. The X-link is hardwired to the rebreather, so aside from having to plug in the bin of parts at the end of the day, it is very manageable, and I can just take the computer part off and go OC diving in the afternoon. Very simple.

I also began to have problems with my K1D sensors. After receiving two bad sensors from Oxycheck, and then having anguish about replacing them, I was forced to mix sensors within the machine. I now have two R22s and 1KID. Fortunately, the X-link will allow a calibration with dissimilar cells, and I was still able to dive. The sensors react differently in real time (the R22s are faster) and ocassionally force the X1 to drop the K1D reading as erroneous, but after a few seconds, they line up again, and the X1 will start using the cell again. Very interesting. I will soon be changing up to all R22 sensors.

Over a longer period of dives where I have a large amount of depth changing, I am finding that the small size of the counterlung is causing me to waste diluent. Any small decrease in depth causes the machine to dump, and then subsequently refill, where my wife on her CKiss will not emit any bubbles. So goes it. It is not prohibitive, I can still finish a 4 hour dive on a steel LP 19 of dil, using it purely for dil. She does better on the kiss, but not much I can do about that.

As for improvements, I am still collecting a significant amount of slime/water at the counterlung after 4 hour dives, and am concerned that if I increase my dive times to 6 hours or longer I may risk collecting enough water that in a feet down or sideways attitude I might wet my scrubber. I am considering some sort of drain pump that runs into the edge of the counterlung, ala the old Halcyon fridge, but we shall see.

jason

Mark Munro Munromh is an unknown quantity at this point Munromh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rchrds  View Original Post
    Now, i am told that the scrubber from the 240 may also fit in this unit. jason
    Hey Jason,

I have a 240 that I'll get to one day ..... anyway a few things I noted about this 240. The scrubber is two 60 scrubbers sleeved, sandwiched together, and the centersections stainless lid is the same as the 60, which leaves much less room between the top of the lid and the top of the scrubber. The internal depth of the 240 scrubber is 2-1/8" (54mm). It adds 3/4" (19mm) to the depth over the 60. They also added "dams" on the inside scrubber diameters to divert the gas flow back into the scrubber bed.

Mark

BioPak60 Deathbox! rchrds will become famous soon enough rchrds will become famous soon enough rchrds will become famous soon enough rchrds's Avatar
    BP-60, Revo Mod1

Mark, if you got the whole 240, it also comes with a new stainless cover that is also about an inch taller, leaving the same amount of room between the top of the scrubber retaining cover and the top of the overall cover. If you use the 240 scrubber, you need that larger cover too- though I cant imagine that you could impede airflow much more than it already is right in the breathing tube. I did finally get a 240, but I have found that I don't use the scrubber much- with 812 sorb I have been pushing my 60 scrubber longer than 4 hours, which turns out to be about all I have been needing for work times (or can handle repeatedly) anyway. I am having issues with lots of scum in the unit- more than say, a KISS on an equivalent dive. I have a suspicion that the counterlung vent allows some water in, which mixes with the normal scum- but I am going to have to consider a way to drain the counterlung.

Jason

Mark, if you got the whole 240, it also comes with a new stainless cover that is also about an inch taller Jason
    I have a suspicion that this is not an unadulterated 240, there's no decal on the top of the 240 lid like my "new" 60 had.

Mark

BP-60, Revo Mod1

I'll measure the depth of the Stainless 240 cover if you are in question, it does have the sticker. Sounds like you might have gotten screwed.

I'll measure the depth of the Stainless 240 cover

Sure, then it'll be on file.

Thanks,
    Mark

BP-60, Revo Mod1

Depth from the bottom of the latching lip to the inside of the scrubber can (lowest section, where the sticker is placed) is almost exactly 2.75 inches.

Thinker n Tinkerer Sparedone is an unknown quantity at this point Sparedone's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz

Bp240/bmr500, BG174

Would any of you great chaps be willing to update on what another 6 years has brought. I'm about to begin the process myself.

Cheers,
    Cameron

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3