+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Frames/Stands: entanglement hazzard?

Tim Owens netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage's Avatar

Re: Frames/Stands: entanglement hazzard?

Quote Originally Posted by w ripley  View Original Post
    Tim:

Following my instructor's lead, I put an OMS 85 tank boot on the bottom of my canister, put a piece of wood inside for blocking, and used one ss hose clamp to hold it on. It raises the rig, is tangle free, inexpensive, and simply continues the Meg's canister profile. Being black, you don't even see it.

Bill
    Yeah, but if you don't take it off after every dive, it'll trap water, pit and your can will fail its first hydro... :)

Hmmm, thats a solution worth some thought... My buddies carry around a small pelican box or a heavy chunk of wood for the boat racks...

Thanks for the feedback folks..,

-Tim
    Last edited by netmage; 23rd January 2008 at 16:36.

Dive Junkie Dave O is a glorious beacon of light Dave O is a glorious beacon of light Dave O is a glorious beacon of light Dave O is a glorious beacon of light Dave O is a glorious beacon of light Dave O is a glorious beacon of light Dave O is a glorious beacon of light Dave O is a glorious beacon of light Dave O is a glorious beacon of light Dave O is a glorious beacon of light Dave O is a glorious beacon of light Dave O's Avatar
    KISS Classic

Kiss Spirit, Sidekick, GEM

I've seen the tank boot used on megs with differing degrees of success. Adding height to the can makes the unit even more top heavy, and very unstable on a boat. Our boat has wooden blocks on board for the benches since the captains both dive megs.

Nick Cunningham-Moorat scunick is a jewel in the rough scunick is a jewel in the rough scunick is a jewel in the rough scunick is a jewel in the rough scunick is a jewel in the rough scunick is a jewel in the rough scunick is a jewel in the rough scunick's Avatar
    rEvo eXpedition

Inspiration Vision, Hammerhead

I have been using a frame on my vision for a long time now and recently came to grips with one significant line trap in the design. While at 68m deep into a cave the line ran along the roof. I was the final diver in a group of 4. while moving through the passage the line snuck in between the frame and the Frame lid and stuck fast. After much waving of light my buddy gave me a hand and released the line. now all gaps are taped shut before dives with filament or line.

Cheers
    Nick
    Last edited by scunick; 24th January 2008 at 06:22.

PROTEC MEXICO mattmexico is a name known to all mattmexico is a name known to all mattmexico is a name known to all mattmexico is a name known to all mattmexico is a name known to all mattmexico is a name known to all mattmexico is a name known to all mattmexico is a name known to all mattmexico is a name known to all mattmexico is a name known to all mattmexico is a name known to all mattmexico's Avatar

yo

I do not use or dive a stand as I think they do represent an entanglement issue. Further they put weight on my butt in cave diving. In cave diving as in any other form of diving I want to be in a horizontal position and don't need the weight on my but.

greetings
    Matt
    N 20' 37.617'
    W 87' 04.693'

Urrrgh! Ukon is an unknown quantity at this point Ukon's Avatar
    rEvo II

KISS Classic

Quote Originally Posted by gottrimix  View Original Post
    I have the Narked @90 stand and would recommend it. I have used it in Florida cave diving and also ocean wreck diving. It makes the Meg easy to get into, pick up, allows for easy sidemounting of bailout cylinders. I think if I was living in Florida Cave country I would not need the stand for cave diving. For the majority of the dives (off boats) we do here in the Lake, the stand is a perfect tool for the job. It is a bit pricey but is well made and excellent quality. I don't use the bottom of the stand to hold an Argon bottle since I don't want anymore weight in the ass end. I mount a small argon bottle to my dil bottle. Highly unlikely to be an entanglement hazard.

Hope this helps you decide.
    I am curious about how you are sidemounting your bailout. Are you using an Armadillo or similar system, or are you clipping cylinders directly to the stand?

Thanks!

Don Ferrara

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2