+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: How deep to you dive on air diluent?

Shearwater Copis Diver Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy's Avatar
    Copis Meg and rEvo III

Evolution

How deep to you dive on air diluent?

As I'm getting more confident in my style of diving and the set up of my rig, I am beginning to get that itch to go deeper on occasion. Since most of my diving is in slack dependent areas it's only an occasional jaunt i'm after in no or low current areas. The catch is that I have no desire to use Helium and it's not my intent to debate here about why that is. My training certification is to 140 FSW, 5 minutes of deco, but i'm now taking short dips to 150FSW/46MSW and getting more comfortable with the idea of racking up some more deco. I'm noticing some of the narcosis and post dive fatigue I used to get on OC after deeper dives, yet the call of HE is still not there and frankly I missed that relaxing mellow feeling I used to get. Going through Mod II to get certified to go deeper would be a natural move except I have no desire to use Helium. If there was an advanced MOD 1, for non-helium divers that want to go deeper, i'd take it. Since there is not, i'm wondering how deep folks go on air dilluent and if there are guidelines for deeper CCR diving on air diluent. Obviously, going much deeper would require staged hypoxic bail out, probably a good enough reason to get more training right there. I'm guessing i'm not the only one in this boat.

Anway, how deep are folks diving on air diluent and how deep do you think it's safe to go?
    Do you have any training recommendations that would help me venture forth in a safe manner?

your input is much appreciated!
    Last edited by Gill Envy; 18th January 2008 at 22:10.

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Re: How deep to you dive on air diluent?

Quote Originally Posted by Gill Envy  View Original Post
    As I'm getting more confident in my style of diving and the set up of my rig, I am beginning to get that itch to go deeper on occasion. Since most of my diving is in slack dependent areas it's only an occasional jaunt i'm after in no or low current areas. The catch is that I have no desire to use Helium and it's not my intent to debate here about why that is. My training certification is to 140 FSW, 5 minutes of deco, but i'm now taking short dips to 150FSW/50MSW and getting more comfortable with the idea of racking up some more deco. I'm noticing some of the narcosis and post dive fatigue I used to get on OC after deeper dives, yet the call of HE is still not there and frankly I missed that relaxing mellow feeling I used to get. Going through Mod II to get certified to go deeper would be a natural move except I have no desire to use Helium. If there was an advanced MOD 1, for non-helium divers that want to go deeper, i'd take it. Since there is not, i'm wondering how deep folks go on air dilluent and if there are guidelines for deeper CCR diving on air diluent. Obviously, going much deeper would require staged hypoxic bail out, probably a good enough reason to get more training right there. I'm guessing i'm not the only one in this boat.

Anway, how deep are folks diving on air diluent and how deep do you think it's safe to go?
    Do you have any training recommendations that would help me venture forth in a safe manner?

30 in the UK 60 in blue clear warm reefs.

Deepest CCR air dive 65m in Dahab The canyon near the Hutts. Easy dive.

ATB

Mark

Stéphane Acounis Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane's Avatar
    rEvo3 rMS

rEvo2 HH, rEvo1

Gilles,

It depends on the PpO2 you are planning to use. At 55m, with a PpO2 of 1.3, you will breathe air. If you go deeper with maintaining this PpO2, the gas willbe more and more narcotic due to PpN2 raising.
    You will have the to use a higher PpO2.

Dave Mitchell akscubainst has a spectacular aura about akscubainst has a spectacular aura about akscubainst has a spectacular aura about akscubainst has a spectacular aura about akscubainst has a spectacular aura about akscubainst's Avatar
    KISS Classic Explorer

Kiss Classic

Quote Originally Posted by Gill Envy  View Original Post

About 140' I've noticed myself being pretty narc'd on the Kiss at that depth more than I remember on OC.

Why wouldn't you want to go with HE?

Dave

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

You might want to look over the ANDI CCR program. Specifically, course TRD Level 3 - Technical Rebreather Diver Level 3. Link attached to the course standards.

Untitled Page

I just finished the course with Bruce Konefe in Thailand and its rated to 50MSW/164FSW and 30 Minutes of Deco only Air Diluent. I will be doing a detailed write up on the blow by blow for each dive on this course as well as a few others I took once I get a few spare hours. ANDI's program is indepth and ensures you are task loaded with valuable exercises in controlled conditions. It really starts to get you comfortable with many critical skills like SCR for extended periods.

Not sure if this fits the bill for what your are looking for but I thought I would mention it.

John

Nicholas Smith Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo's Avatar
    Megalodon

On OC, I was perfectly happy going to 57m on air, where the PO2 hits 1.4. I did that regularly and presumed I would be able to do the same on CC. The trouble, of course, is that even the best CCRs have WOB like the worst regulators. If I recall correctly, a really good reg is around 0.8J/litre, whereas my Meg does a slovernly 1.7 or so at 40m. No drama, I thought: I'm fit - what do I care about a few joules either way. Then I had an experience where I had a very strong current and needed to fin very hard against it - at depth. I was screaming for air but I felt like I couldn't breathe. My takeaway from that is that I should start using mix far shallower than I would on OC: everything I breathe has to pass through a tub of kitty litter, so it makes sense to breathe something thin and light - trimix.

Theoretically, in addition to WOB, there are problems related to narcosis as well. My understanding is that CO2 levels are higher on CC than OC even when the scrubber is working well. That's going to work in concert with the high PN2 to make you more narked. You have a lot more to think about on CC than the 'breathe in; breathe out' of OC. It makes a lot of sense to breathe the mix that gives you a clear head: you're rebreathing it, so it's much less of a cost issue.

The upshot: I would hesitate to dive much deeper than 40m on CC, and would do even that only in unchallenging conditions. A pussy? Perhaps, but a live pussy.
    Last edited by Abbo; 18th January 2008 at 21:16.

RBW Member Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie's Avatar

I do all my diving on mix unless I borrow the GF dil tank.
    Have been to 40m in UK on air didn't like it
    Have been to 50m in the red sea on air was happy.

I tend to think that Tx is cheap so I use it.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

RBW Member nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beanie  View Original Post
    Have been to 50m in the red sea on air was happy.
    When I did that I was far too happy.

I won't make that mistake again.

Now showing as "Dean Coote" Numpty diver will become famous soon enough Numpty diver will become famous soon enough Numpty diver will become famous soon enough Numpty diver will become famous soon enough Numpty diver's Avatar

which book/books did you use for your ccr trimix courses?
    Any recomandations for trimix ccr books ?
    Dean

Hammerhead CCR diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike's Avatar
    HammerHead CCR

Sidekick & Others

I almost ALWAYS have some "He" in my dil... The only exception is shallow oyster or quarry diving... Less than 75ft ffw.

It's amazing how much more you remember etc with a bit of "He" in the mix even on 100ft dives.

Dive Safe...

Mark

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast