+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: front cunterlungs

RBW Member Icarusflies is an unknown quantity at this point Icarusflies's Avatar

front cunterlungs

Hello All;

I am new in this world, still haven't chosen my rebreather but I was wondering what are the advantages of front mounted cunterlung vs back mounted lungs?

Thanks;

Steve

Classic Kiss diver Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty's Avatar
    Classic Kiss 165

Re: front cunterlungs

There's a "O" in "counterlung"! My mind boggles at your version! :D

RBW Member Icarusflies is an unknown quantity at this point Icarusflies's Avatar

jeez...thank you...any more comments about the post?

Thanks;

Steve

RBW Member nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Icarusflies  View Original Post
    I am new in this world, still haven't chosen my rebreather but I was wondering what are the advantages of front mounted cunterlung vs back mounted lungs?
    The over the shoulder counterlungs are thought to be the choice for Work-of-Breathing but whether this is true and how important WOB is is a matter we debate.
    To some people the 'clear chest' is important, to others access to the injectors.

I can't really comment. I like my Inspo with OTS but I haven't dived much else other than my Russian IDA. I notice a lot of current military units are OTS but they have the money and aren't fashion conscious like us kids. I suspect that if there was a definitive 'must have' all rebreathers would be like that and they aren't.

Enjoying the silence Lake_Tahoe_Diver will become famous soon enough Lake_Tahoe_Diver will become famous soon enough Lake_Tahoe_Diver will become famous soon enough Lake_Tahoe_Diver's Avatar
    Prism Topaz

Kiss Sport

Depending on the unit OTS counterlungs act as a watertrap that can be drained while underwater if the need should present itself.

You never know when your dive bubby does something a little silly and the next thing you know you are laughing and spit the DSV out (opps, only happend once)

Thanks about the replays.

So if i understand well, OTS are a better solution if we let aside fashion and comfort.

Steve

untitled tibby has a spectacular aura about tibby has a spectacular aura about tibby has a spectacular aura about tibby has a spectacular aura about tibby has a spectacular aura about tibby's Avatar

One other downside is if you are into tight squeeze diving (wrecks especially) OTS CLs increase the chances of tear and unwanted CL volume reduction if squeezed by the restriction. Back mounted CLs are usually more protected by some rigid housing which may prevent this.
    Also, the "T" pieces shorten the corrugated hoses thus limiting your side-to-side head movement slightly more than with BMCL.
    Tibby

RBW Member colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky's Avatar
    rEvo III micro FT

Inspiration Vision, rEvo II Hy

Quote Originally Posted by Icarusflies  View Original Post
    Thanks about the replays.

So if i understand well, OTS are a better solution if we let aside fashion and comfort.

Steve
    IIRC AP went the OTS route because they said it was the only way to meet WOB requirements for CE approval ,then along came Boris with bmcl & CE approval .
    Personally I dive a Vision with bmcl & have noticed no difference in WOB compared to the OTS .

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Front mounted counterlungs offer MUCH better flood tolerance than rear counterlungs and they also offer slightly better work of breathing in flat trim and a lot better work of breathing in several other angles.

Front lungs make for simple 02 and diluent addition and also make for easy dumping of gas via the OPV

Front lungs allow for easy off board gas addition.

Front mounted lungs also keep you warm

Rear lungs allowed a clear frontal area which is worth its weight in hassle to those that prefer it (like me)

They allow for simple kitting up

Easy management of stages and other dive equipment.

They are protected from puncture damage when crawling through a wreck

They look great :D

ATB

Mark

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tibby  View Original Post
    ...Back mounted CLs are usually more protected by some rigid housing which may prevent this...
    Rigid housing not needed.

BMCL, depending on which system, will sit between you and the wing - or the unit and the wing - so plenty of protection.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast