+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Megaladon Versus Optima Fx

New Member Finni is an unknown quantity at this point Finni's Avatar

Megaladon Versus Optima Fx

I am new to rebreather diving and I would really like some guidence to which reabreather is good for me.

I have the option to learn on the Megaladon and the Optima.

I really would like to hear all the pros and cons with these two units.

Thank you very much

RBW Member offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro's Avatar
    rEvo, FGT, Boris

Meg

Re: Megaladon Versus Optima Fx

How many Optima units and instructors is there in Europe?

I think traning and spears is more accessable for Megalodon in Europe..

mats

RBW Member Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by offpro  View Original Post
    How many Optima units and instructors is there in Europe?

I think traning and spears is more accessable for Megalodon in Europe..

mats
    ...and how accessible are the Extendair scrubber cartridges outside the USA?

The Meg has 1 or two faults of her own but is very tough, works reliably, field and self service-able, and many options for scrubber (including Extendair).

I've got in excess of 200hrs on mine and I don't regret my choice. The only dives I lost were due to sensors. Nothing else on the unit has let me down, in spite of 2.5 circuits around the globe, much abuse and damage, and just keeps on ticking.

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

EAC are rarer than rocking horse poo here...

How about a Hammerhead CCR? Best of both worlds some might say (Almost looks like a Meg with HH gubbins attached)

Sebastian Chander Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg's Avatar
    Deep Smeg

Megalodon

The Megalodon is a very robust unit, with all lot of parts easily replaceable.

It also has a huge number of manufacturer and third party options available to allow one to customise it.

From multiple controller systems, canisters, scrubbers and gas hardware options etc it has a huge appeal to those who like to customize and teak their units to suit themselves even better.

I have a few hours on the Original Optima and loved it's work of breathing and how small and portable it could be made for trans port. The extend air cartridge is a joy to use, but I felt the O-ring system on the central stem that runs through the cartridge was fiddly. I felt overall that the unit was a little flimsy in places and do not like the alternating display on the Hammerhead handsets.

I also found the 27cft steel cylinders very hard on my lower back which was in agony after 60 mins on my first dive, so I switched to 13cft Aly's instead.

I've stuck with my Meg. No unit is perfect but I've have been able to make it completely mine with my mods. With the exception of the delivery issues in the very early days, ISC's customer service has been excellent and I have recently been very demanding on them and they haven't let me down.

Cheers

Seb

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

As above i don't think the optima is a contender unless you can use normal sorb.

The Meg with Apex 2 is the more simple unit which should make it more reliable. The Hammer Head CCR looks to be the best out there at the moment in terms of all singing and dancing CCR+ toys.

The Sentinel from the VR3 boys in the UK is well worth a look as well.

I have dived the previous revision of the Hammer Head and it was fantastic when it worked but it broke down a lot which put me off. So I am more inclined toward the most simple PP02 only units. That said i may have just been unlucky with the two units I had.

Shearwater rEvo sounds like a very interesting ECCR as well and again based more locally than the HH/Optima/Meg option. I use a Shearwater computer and i have been very pleased with it and the support.

So for toys R Us Id go for Shearwater rEvo or Sentinel with Hammer Head CCR brining up the rear.

For Simple CCR I like the Meg and for transportation on plains I like the rEvo first followed by either the HH or the Meg.

ATB

Mark

RBW Member Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko's Avatar
    HH Inspiration / Joki

Dolphin, Megalodon, RGU

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase  View Original Post

For Simple CCR I like the Meg and for transportation on plains I like the rEvo first followed by either the HH or the Meg.

ATB

Mark
    Hi Mark,

Is not the rEvo too heavy for plain transportation?

Or maybe you say that because is flat...

Thanks

Mikel

New Member Finni is an unknown quantity at this point Finni's Avatar

Thank you for you quick response.

Is there anybody out there that has experience on the Optima it seems to me that the unit is not popular in europe?

rEvo's daddy
    paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers's Avatar
    rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel-Deko  View Original Post
    Hi Mark,

Is not the rEvo too heavy for plain transportation?

Or maybe you say that because is flat...

Thanks

Mikel
    Hi Mikel, the mini rEvo titanium, equipped with 2 liter carbon tanks, is less then 21kg.. :)

paul
    www.rEvo-rebreathers.com
    ...."Yes you have to pre-breathe to activate the scrubber sorb, anyone who says different doesn't know what they are talking about!"...
    .... to get more accurate CO2 injection in the breathing machine we put 2 mass flow controllers in series ...
    .... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...
    .... radial scrubbers give longer dwell time than axials...
    .... the earth is flat and ...

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

Quote Originally Posted by Finni  View Original Post
    Is there anybody out there that has experience on the Optima it seems to me that the unit is not popular in europe?
    Dive Rite can't be arsed with getting CE for their rig, so it won't be anything that'll be in stock here in Europe. Same for spares I guess. Instructors are few so far.

The unit is quite popular in the US, especially in FL, gotta be about 300 out there by now. So plenty of experience, just not abroad.

Since the Micropore cartridge isn't easily available anywhere I know you need to have that shipped from the US, too. They're already more expensive than granular sorb over there, so by the time you paid for shipping, customs and tax duties it'll get quite pricey.

Both Poseidon and DeltaP will offer scrubbers using the cartridge, so hopefully that issue will change.

Anyway, with either rebreather you'll have to deal across the big pond when it comes to spares, repairs etc. For that reason alone I would take a close look at the Sentinel or the rEvo.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 11 ... LastLast