+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bad service job or.......?

RBW Member Marc will become famous soon enough Marc will become famous soon enough Marc will become famous soon enough Marc will become famous soon enough Marc's Avatar

Bad service job or.......?

So, here's what happened. Went out for a leisurely dive yesterday on one of the local reefs (25-30msw). Vis was great and conditions very nice.

Drifting along the ledge, I decided to have a play and bailout to my Ritesource and combining this with doing gas switches etc. on my VR3 (I have the URM setup on my CK). I was carrying my just converted Diverite 10W HID (conversion to sunspot) and while hovering and doing my bailout practive etc. I just dropped the head and let it dangle for eases sake...

Once I've sorted myself out, gotten back on the loop, am looking to swim on...then, a distinct feeling of that I am stuck....Something is preventing my 90kg from moving, pulling me down and backwards...I quickly check hose configuration on my bailout stage but all looks streamlined and tucked away under straps...OK, so it's not that...I then remember my torch (vis was great so did not miss it straight away)....I look down and see my toch cord going back under a strange angle towards a plate coral I had been hovering over...I curse myself for not paying better attention thinking it good hooked...

Then when I look a little better, I notice that I am battling for my torch head with a large octupus that has grabbed hold of the head with a couple of legs while the others are grabbing onto the reef..pulling hard to retrieve it's trophy...After a few minutes of stand off and a more forceful pull, I win...That is, I know have the whole octopus wrapped around my torch head but at least I am free to move (i know things look bigger under water but it was a decent size occy!). A few shakes later and the occy has had his fun for the day and dissappears back under the plate coral...

I continue the dive and forget about the incident...On ascend, I clip the head to my harness and switch the torch off. Fifteen minutes later, while slipping out of my rig back on the boat, my torch drops into pieces, i.e. lens, O-rings, ballast, etc. all scattered over the deck..Nothing broken. Just in pieces...

I think "what the ??" Wiz, my buddy, points the guilty finger at the octopus for getting my outer O-ring off somehow...That would be the cool story...Alternatively, when replacing the bulb and converting my torch to a sunspot, they did a lame job at putting it back together and it was just waiting to happen...

Well, it could have been worse...with everything dropping in the water instead of on the deck. I guess the water pressure must have kept everything together still....

although I was using my just-converted HID torch (converted to sunspot) with All went fine[/color]

RBW Member Joe Botz is an unknown quantity at this point Joe Botz's Avatar

Re: Bad service job or.......?

Never assume, always double check

Unbanned cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn's Avatar

I would blame the octopuss. Makes a REALLY cool story.

RBW Member bcdiverdennis is an unknown quantity at this point bcdiverdennis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cramerdn  View Original Post
    I would blame the octopuss. Makes a REALLY cool story.
    I'd have to agree.... blame the octopuss it's good for a couple of laughs !

Richard Huntrods sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy's Avatar
    Prism Topaz

Alternately, get the octopus to do the service/conversion next time!

-S

New Member Ritchard is on a distinguished road Ritchard is on a distinguished road Ritchard's Avatar

Dang, that's way better than any of my diving stories. I mean, I got hit in the face with a sucker fish once, but that's as good as it gets.

LEARNING CONTINUALLY rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver's Avatar
    Inspo Vision

Classic YBOD

Luckily it wasn't a blue ringed variety.

RBW Member Marc will become famous soon enough Marc will become famous soon enough Marc will become famous soon enough Marc will become famous soon enough Marc's Avatar

Yeah, but since the blue ringed occy's are tiny, I don't think it would have "trapped" me...;)

Unbanned cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rigdiver  View Original Post
    Luckily it wasn't a blue ringed variety.
    Diverite makes a blue ringed light?

+ Reply to Thread