+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sorb as carry-on in the US

Casual Sport Kiss Pilot RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut's Avatar
    Sport Kiss

Sorb as carry-on in the US

Hey all,
    A friend of mine has carried-on sorb on the plane going from Switzerland to the Red Sea.
    Now I am wondering if anyone has done this in the USA?
    Is this even possible here, or is TSA going to confiscate it. Of course having all the MSDS and letter from the Sorb manufacturer attached. And I am aware that Switzerland is not the US of A

So far I never had problem with sorb in my checked baggage.

cheers,
    RBN

RBW Member Joe Botz is an unknown quantity at this point Joe Botz's Avatar

Re: Sorb as carry-on in the US

Highly unlikely, think about it, ammonium nitrate looks similar, then again without diesel fuel, detonator and a booster charge.
    Last edited by Joe Botz; 14th January 2008 at 03:58.

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

Quote Originally Posted by RebreatherNut  View Original Post
    Hey all,
    A friend of mine has carried-on sorb on the plane going from Switzerland to the Red Sea.
    Now I am wondering if anyone has done this in the USA?
    Is this even possible here, or is TSA going to confiscate it. Of course having all the MSDS and letter from the Sorb manufacturer attached. And I am aware that Switzerland is not the US of A

So far I never had problem with sorb in my checked baggage.

cheers,
    RBN
    continental specifically allows it.. Here is a quote from their web site..

Scuba Equipment

Continental does accept one dive bag containing equipment used in the scuba-diving sport as part of the free baggage allowance. Scuba equipment in addition to the free baggage allowance will be assessed at the excess baggage charge applicable in the market for a single piece.
    An empty dive tank will not be included in determining the Free Baggage Allowance and will be subject to a $100 service charge (each way).
    An empty dive tank or up to 3 rebreather tanks will not be included in determining the Free Baggage Allowance and will be subject to a service charge of $100. The empty dive/rebreather tank must have the regulator valve completely disconnected form the tank. The tank must not be sealed (i.e. the tank has an open end). The tank must have an opening to allow for a visual inspection by a TSA Security Screener.
    Note: for Rebreather Equipment: Soda lime that is 4% Sodium Hydroxide or less will be accepted in checked baggage. Soda lime that is 4.1% Sodium Hydroxide will not be accepted in checked baggage.
    An item of SCUBA equipment consists of one empty SCUBA tank, up to 3 rebreather tanks or one dive bag containing equipment used in the scuba-diving sport. The empty scuba/rebreather tank and a separate dive bag containing SCUBA equipment will be charged as two separate pieces.
    Continental is not liable for damage to Scuba diving equipment.
    Excess Valuation may not be purchased for Scuba diving equipment.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

RBW Member jstovall is on a distinguished road jstovall is on a distinguished road jstovall's Avatar

Have packed a scrubber and placed in unit. Travel from Texas to Florida. Placed in carry on. TSA always pulls me aside and checks bag every time. Have never had a problem. They run there paper over it all and check the entire bag, then ask what it is. i tell them. But they never ask me to open the unit and check the scrubber. I am sure they will at some time. I always take MSDS sheets. One day it may bite me in the arse, but not yet. Hope this helps.

James

+ Reply to Thread