+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Argon bottle size and location -cave diving

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

Argon bottle size and location -cave diving

Hi,

I have a drysuit inflation bottle that is only 0.5L (2CF) is this likely to be sufficient for Florida cave diving? Im assuming 200bar air fill/top up between dives. Or do I have to go buy more damn dive gear!

Wheres a good place to mount it?

Cheers
    Mike

RBW Member Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie's Avatar
    A 1.5l lasts me what 5/6 open water dives

Can't comment on mounting
    but your options are:
    - Unit mounted
    - Belt mounted
    - Harness mounted

not RBW staff. EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Sports kiss, dolphin

Mike,

Side of unit will probably be fine for florida. I normally use a 1.5L, but it lasts me like 6+ dives in cave.

Longer term, I'd think more about a plate/harness mount.

/Z

Jani Haaja jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja's Avatar
    JJ-CCR, Inspo Classic

HH Inspo

I use 1,5L 200Bar aluminium tank. The tank is mounted on the left side of the steel backplate with nylon webbing and bungee. It works fine for me.

JH
    Finland

Custom Title Allowed! MikeH will become famous soon enough MikeH will become famous soon enough MikeH will become famous soon enough MikeH will become famous soon enough MikeH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drmike
    I have a drysuit inflation bottle that is only 0.5L (2CF) is this likely to be sufficient for Florida cave diving? Im assuming 200bar air fill/top up between dives. Or do I have to go buy more damn dive gear!

Wheres a good place to mount it?
    Leave the argon bottle at home, and run your drysuit off of your diluent or bailout. You don't need argon in the Florida caves. I dive wet on anything up to 2 hours...and even longer if I'm doing a cave that will require a lot of deco but has no flow in the surface pool(because the sun heats the water significantly).

Mike

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeH
    Leave the argon bottle at home, and run your drysuit off of your diluent or bailout. You don't need argon in the Florida caves. I dive wet on anything up to 2 hours...and even longer if I'm doing a cave that will require a lot of deco but has no flow in the surface pool(because the sun heats the water significantly).

Mike
    Thanks guys.

Id preffer to dive wet but I am a real pussy when it comes to cold.

Im taking both wet and dry gear anyway but expect I will have to go dry.

I will be using mix on some of the cave dives so wont be running inflation off the dil. I could run it off the nitrox stage but then I wouldnt be able to stage it. Think Ill try the wee bottle on the harness waste strap and see how I get on. Based on this feedback it should be fine if I top up between dives/day.

Thanks again

Mike

Go DEEP!!!! Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer's Avatar
    MEGALODON

Evolution, KISS GEM

Quote Originally Posted by jhaaja
    The tank is mounted on the left side of the steel backplate with nylon webbing and bungee. It works fine for me.
    For OC, I use this system and it's simple.

When not using it, the webbing just tucks behind the backplate and you don't even notice it is there. The bungee stays on the bottom corner of the backplate year round.

Not sure wrt CCR.

RBW Master Plumber lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof is a glorious beacon of light lof's Avatar
    Hammerhead

Meg,Prizm,RB80,LARV,MK15,HomeB

I use 1.5L AL bottle attached to the left side of the low profile MM backplate (tucked out of the way behind my shoulder) for all diving in FL (just to keep it simple) Filled with air for shallow dives, Argon for deeper stuff.

I will post couple of pictures of the kit with the Armadillo CCR next week.

Just add ice & water plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma's Avatar
    O2 Apocalypse

DIY, Inspiration Classic

This is how I got it on OC and CC:
    DIY Argon straps

Cheap and easy to do.

-Pasi

Go DEEP!!!! Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer's Avatar
    MEGALODON

Evolution, KISS GEM

Quote Originally Posted by plazma
    This is how I got it on OC and CC:
    DIY Argon straps

Cheap and easy to do.

-Pasi
    Excellent example.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast