+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: FFM Use (From the O2 convulsion thread)

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jhaaja

I have also been thinking of getting a full face mask. Anyway you are not able to give your mouthpiece to your dive partner. Of course I need a good CC/OC switch also.
    Thanks. Interesting stuff.

BTW with the FFM I recommended you can give your, or take a mouthpiece from your buddy.

Check it out Im sure it would save lives.
    http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/p_masks_supermask.html

Just remove your mouthbite and cable tie the mouthpiece (original CC only or a OC/CC of your choice) into the pod (instead of the OC reg pictured in the link above)

Bailing (or switching regs) is no different to normal - except you just unlip the pod before spitting out the mouthpiece
    Attached Images

Classic Kiss diver Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty's Avatar
    Classic Kiss 165

DrMike, interested in the mask - bit off thread, perhaps should start a new one - I can see it has a mouthpiece within the pod - is this an integral part of the pod or changeable? Does the whole set-up add much dead-space? Obviously you can clear the mask normally, how easily can you clear the pod? (if you clear the mouthpiece the pod will still be full of water..?). Not had my Kiss very long and my dives are less "serious" than yours (shallow, nitrox) - but you can still tox on a 30m dive!

Jani Haaja jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja's Avatar
    JJ-CCR, Inspo Classic

HH Inspo

I am also interested. How reliable is the connection between the mask and the pod? Is it possible to operate it with for example thick 2 or 3 finger gloves. I here in Finland need warm gloves :)

JH
    Finland

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutty
    DrMike, interested in the mask - bit off thread, perhaps should start a new one - I can see it has a mouthpiece within the pod - is this an integral part of the pod or changeable?

Its changeable - just put any OC, CC or OC/CC mouthpiece into an empty pod, secured with cable tie around the rubber seal in the pod

Does the whole set-up add much dead-space?
    None, as your OC/CC valve mouthpiece passes through the pod (which is cable tied/sealed to it) and into your mouth. You retain the mouthbite in your mouth so the small amount of dead space in the pod is not an issue, also if you flood the pod (or mask) you are no different than now as you still retain the mouthbite in your mouth so the loop is still sealed (with your lips).

Obviously you can clear the mask normally, how easily can you clear the pod? (if you clear the mouthpiece the pod will still be full of water..?).
    To clear the pod there is a purge button, but I find it easier to squeeze the RB outlet hose closed and clear the pod the same way I clear a mask by lifting it forward at the chin and blowing out of my mouth.

Perhaps a moderator can split these posts?

Quote Originally Posted by jhaaja
    I am also interested. How reliable is the connection between the mask and the pod? Is it possible to operate it with for example thick 2 or 3 finger gloves. I here in Finland need warm gloves :)

JH
    Finland
    Its has a hook on one side of the pod that you catch on one end of the mask then you pinch the pod closed with a flexible clip on the other end.

It is a one handed operation to open or close.

I have used it with lined drygloves no problem.

Its made by/for Kirby Morgan so the build quality is high. Mine has had a hell of a battering and I was even hit hard in the facemask by a boat ladder it didnt break - but I almost did :D

RBW Founder schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford's Avatar
    I wanted one of these and Leon set me up with one to try out on the Meg as Sarah and I were going to get a couple along with proper Pod and hook up some comms.

Unfortunatly the mask just did not fit my face at all and would have leaked like a ......(insert imaginitve leaky thing here)

I am hoping to try out a few FFMs @ Dema as think they are the way forward - I just wish they did a fat face verion of the KM.

Stuart

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

Anyone heard anything about these- http://e-nekton.com/xdivehelmet.html

Been along time since this article appeared, its a nice idea, not sure there is "much" call for it but be nice to know what has/is happened?

New Member ryvor is an unknown quantity at this point ryvor's Avatar
    hi Drmike, how do you like the field of vision on the KM mask? When I spoke to Leon about the mask he said that he didn't like the mask because it gave you tunnel vision. I've kicked around getting a FFM and had thought about getting this one but was put off by the tunnel vision. I've also looked at the Drager Nova which looks pretty nice.

Johnny The Hatch Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad's Avatar
    CCR2000, Megalodon, Homebuilt

Norge, FGT, mk15, KISS, Inspo

Quote Originally Posted by schford
    I wanted one of these and Leon set me up with one to try out on the Meg as Sarah and I were going to get a couple along with proper Pod and hook up some comms.

Unfortunatly the mask just did not fit my face at all and would have leaked like a ......(insert imaginitve leaky thing here)

I am hoping to try out a few FFMs @ Dema as think they are the way forward - I just wish they did a fat face verion of the KM.

Stuart
    Hey Stuart, i know of a mask that will fit your face, as you and me have very similar shape and cannot wear that either. The Kirby Morgan EXO26 it a very nice mask. But i do not know it its possible to wear with rb's...

/Jonny

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

Dammit, f**king Explorer just crashed again, there went my elaborate post.
    If that MS dork gave me a buck everytime that happened I'd have one of each RB, a house to store 'em in and a boat to dive 'em from.

Back to FFMs, brief version:

-Supermask
    -- lousy field of vision
    -- very easy handling, much like a half mask
    -- plenty of pics of that mask in the gallery
    -- pic below shows inside of pod with bite piece and purge valve (lower right)

-- IIRC 'scubahubby' dives one with his KISS BOV mounted to the OC pod
    -- CC pods almost impossible to get (which is a shame)

- Widolf from Divematics
    -- available with DSV or BOV
    -- your choice of regs on BOV
    -- big and heavy commercial design
    picture of Rob Davie's

-Dräger/Apeks Nova
    -- uses 3 Dräger's QC to connect OC, RB and comms
    -- adapters available for civillian and military Dräger units
    -- if your hoses fit a Dräger DSV it'll work with your RB
    -- picture of a FGT1 DSV connecting the Nova to a Meg

- AGA
    -- high quality mask with very good field of vision
    -- can be adapted for use with RB (quite popular with the military)
    -- Divematics offers DSV or BOV for use with AGA (pictures soon)
    -- 'narked at 90' uses it with the Nemotech BOV on his RB
    -- pics of his conversion in gallery (as well as plenty more FFM pics)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast