Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: O2 convulsion

Longbottom Time RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL's Avatar

Re: O2 convulsion

Quote Originally Posted by Drmike  View Original Post

I admit when I have a last stop longer than 45mins and Im alone in the water I do worry and actually my practice is to clip myself to the deco platform in case of convulsion (wont sink or ascend then and Im wearing a FFM)

Only had the twitchies once and it scared the crap out of me.

Food for thought.
    Mike do you take a 5 min air break every 25 min?

RAL

RBW Member Ahmed Adly is an unknown quantity at this point Ahmed Adly's Avatar

This come a bit late, but your dive buddy should be awarded a medal!
    He has shown heroism beyond self preservation, which is wonderful.
    Keep safe!

New Member Louda is an unknown quantity at this point Louda's Avatar

thanks GOD that you are okay now.
    it feels scary to hear that someone went down with his rebreather fully checked up & operating well just to have such an accident.
    but do you still trust your inspration ?
    I think, if I were you, I may have quit diving my Dolphin.
    best wishes of enjoyable diving

RBW Member SteveL is just really nice SteveL is just really nice SteveL is just really nice SteveL is just really nice SteveL is just really nice SteveL is just really nice SteveL is just really nice SteveL is just really nice SteveL is just really nice SteveL is just really nice SteveL's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drmike  View Original Post
    I was on a trip last year and we had a diver do a slow ascent from 72m (after spending about 15-20 mins working down there, he spent no more than 30 secs on the surface shouting instructions to the crew then turned straight around and descended back to depth and did all his deco. He didnt get any DCI.

Was your dive a hard one?
    Wasnt it one tug for up on the winch and two tugs for down ...... or was it the other way round .......crew....

Steve

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteveL  View Original Post
    Wasnt it one tug for up on the winch and two tugs for down ...... or was it the other way round .......crew....

Steve

he he :D

That would be the time :D

But hey it could have been worth it :D
    Attached Images

RBW Member trimix is on a distinguished road trimix is on a distinguished road trimix's Avatar
    ISC Megalodon COPIS

What an incredible story, and dive buddy!
    I am NOT a medical expert (at all!), but I'm inclined to suspect elevated CO2 as well.
    I used to freedive competitively, and one of the things you commonly experience during a long breath-hold is diaphragm convulsions, especially at depth. This is one of the body's early responses to increasing blood-CO2 levels - it's saying "take a breath, stupid - I'm running low on oxygen".

In addition, we all have different responses to the drop in partial pressures as we ascend - freedivers are at risk of a shallow-water blackout after a deep dive. Their system has enough oxygen at depth, but that last 10m is a whopper of a pressure change...

Is it possible that his body's CO2 level was elevated, explaining why his systems were reading normal O2 levels in the loop?

Quote Originally Posted by jhaaja  View Original Post
    The lime was fresh for the dive and RT at the time of the accident was 75mins. I think it is unlikely that CO2 had anything to do with the seizure.

JH

Ossi gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi has much to be proud of gerstl_ossi's Avatar
    eCCR Hybrid Homebuild

pSCR RO80 Homebuild, LightMCCR

Glad that You're OK, and fine that you had a good dive buddy with you

Cheers and all the best
    Ossi

RBW Member Rubis is an unknown quantity at this point Rubis's Avatar

Jhaaja thank you for the original post.

Somebody mentioned in another thread on another board the relationship between Ox Toxicity and Cold.

We have also the suspicion on certain medications.

CO2 presence.

High Workload on high ppO2.

What else ?

Question to the experts in physiology, is there a link between metabolic rate and O2 sensitivity ? The questions pops in mind by having seen pictures of some people that had Ox Tox under relatively low ppO2, one thing that stroke me was that they were relatively skinny, probably with high metabolic rates.

Urs or Nounours teddy2005 will become famous soon enough teddy2005 will become famous soon enough teddy2005 will become famous soon enough teddy2005's Avatar
    rEvo III mccr

MKVI

Folks, jaajah's mishap happened 3 years ago!
    It did found a good comment and attention in J.V.'s book which came out last year ;)

RBW Member Rubis is an unknown quantity at this point Rubis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teddy2005  View Original Post
    Folks, jaajah's mishap happened 3 years ago!
    It did found a good comment and attention in J.V.'s book which came out last year ;)
    So ? It's a good topic especially in the light of récent évents

Not everybody reads french you know

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast