+ Reply to Thread

Thread: BOV vs. dil purge with DSV

rEvo combat swimmer fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman's Avatar
    rEvo

Orca

BOV vs. dil purge with DSV

After reading the Mel's book thread, I was going to PM Joe with this, but I figured throw it out there, thats what the board is for.

The set up: I have a rEvo here in Cozumel, I put a Kiss BOV on it, replacing the sleek stock dreager set up. It is a bit ungainly especially here with lots of current. To be fair I also put cooper hoses on and don't have any hose weights on.

The question: How much does one gain or lose with DSV vs. BOV, given that with the rEvo a quick dil purge is very easy and quick.

Other relavent thoughts: I bought the BOV after a CO2 incident (on another unit) and I was able to switch to a bail out reg, although it was difficult. At the time I wasn't aware of the dil purge alternative. All was well. If one can not lose much staying with a small BOV would be nice, with rebreathers we already have lots of junk attatched to our mouthpieces. Obviously with a catastrophic flood you would be better off with a BOV, one flick and your OC, and I most admit from time to time I will flick over and take a OC breath or two, and perhaps yawn or rince my mouth, and it is easyer to purge the water out of a BOV, this is cleary a luxury.

So Joe or anybody else lets hear it.

Comments about my training certs will be greated with heckling...
    Last edited by fireman; 22nd December 2007 at 16:03. Reason: the usuall misspellings

Banned MB is an unknown quantity at this point MB's Avatar

Re: BOV vs. dil purge with DSV

Kevin,

Are you talking about a simple manual loop-purge, or using the rig as an open circuit system from the ADV? The first ought to be something that's an immediate action drill for all RB divers. The latter deserves more discusion.

Much of this is based on a particular rigs ADV system. As you know, our rEvo's use a fairly high performance ADV (it's a scuba second stage mechanism) so we can breathe in an open circuit mode by inhaling from the ADV and exhale thru the nose.... so open circuit for C02 hit issues is right at hand as long as the loop is not flooded. On other rigs the ADV might not have the breathing characteristics needed to deal with what is needed to deal with much more than resting workload thru the ADV (Mark-15 is an example unless IP's are raised greatly), and on other rigs you might not even have an ADV at all.

Practice a full loop dump and then ADV open circuit and see how it feels. Make sure you have adequate diluent volume... this is one reason why I drive my rigs from offboard gas when diving deep.

The flip side of the coin is that you are most likely going to have a C02 hit due to a flood... and you will need to get off the loop fast anyhow. For that a BOV is still the best "quick fix".

Don't think that the KISS BOV is optimal either... as you know I have one too, and I want to replace it with one that is not cantelevered out as far from my mouth. Waiting to see what Paul comes up with.

Talk when you get back, have a ball down there.

Dave
    Last edited by MB; 22nd December 2007 at 17:57.

+ Reply to Thread