+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What PO2 Monitoring Unit do You Use and Why?

RBW Member Icejon is an unknown quantity at this point Icejon's Avatar

What PO2 Monitoring Unit do You Use and Why?

My instructor needs my Azimuth to have a PO2 monitoring device before we will take me on the open water dive portions of the certification course. I agree and understand completely. He mentioned a range of $500 to $1500 investment required from a simple single cell unit to a more complex three cell display. He also recommended that I invest in a combination diving computer and PO2 display which will monitor my loop content and generate deco and NDL information for me. A VR3 is out of my budget as well as the other dedicated computers. Because of this, I am getting a p-port put in my counterlung.

My question is what PO2 monitoring device you use for your SCR, and why did you choose this device?

I am open to all suggestions for PO2 monitoring within that budget range but I would like to go with something that I can keep for a while.

rEvo CCR Driver silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba's Avatar
    JJ-CCR, rEvo

Re: What PO2 Monitoring Unit do You Use and Why?

You can purchase the new Shearwater Pursuit that will monitor one or three cells and gives you depth, time and a log for $900 USD. At anytime you can upgrade it to a fully integrated rebreather deco trimix computer right over the internet.

RBW Member Captain Randy is on a distinguished road Captain Randy is on a distinguished road Captain Randy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Icejon  View Original Post
    My question is what PO2 monitoring device you use for your SCR, and why did you choose this device?
    I have 2 one I made using the plans Tom Rose was kind enough to post on his web site for us non electrical engineers to copy. Thanks Tom
    and one I bought from Matin at Tauchen - Cave, Nitrox, Rebreather Ausbildung, Tec Ausrüstung, Reisen that came complete.

Randy

for a world of water OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity's Avatar
    homebuild/custom

the rEvodream has been a nice setup for me. About $700.

Alias - Ray Mansell kiwi_diver will become famous soon enough kiwi_diver will become famous soon enough kiwi_diver will become famous soon enough kiwi_diver's Avatar
    AKA-60 Orca SCR

I started with a single cell "Mark Munro" job from Martin at TecMe and that is still used on a Dolphin to good effect. It was comparatively cheap and TecMe is very quick to ship. Once I got my Orca up and running, I bought a rEvodream 2 cell on Dave ******s recommendation. It has no external buttons to leak or fail and comes standard with a HUD. Great value considering those features.

I can understand your instructors POV. IMO, no civilian should be flying a rebreather without a PPO2 monitor. Different for military, they just chuck more guys in the water...

Ray.

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

Integration of an O2 sensor can be accomplished either by using a P-port connector from Dräger in the inhalation bag as you mention, or by using TecMe's Azimuth cell holder. If you cut into the breathing bag make sure you measure correctly, the bags are expensive and hard to find. The TecMe cell holder is an non-invasive, reversible installation. For the P-port you'll also need a cell holder, NarkedAt90 here on RBW makes a nice one complete with a cover protecting the cell faces.

As for the monitor or cell-integrated deco computer, there are plenty of options.
    Single cell monitors, like the Dräger Oxygauge, Shearwater, rEvodream, Sartek, Mark Munroe display, Jetsam ... multiple cell displays from Shearwater, DeltaP URM, rEvodream, Sartek, Mark Munroe/TecMe, SubSea Systems ... . Some offer a HUD display, either standard or optional.

Cell-integrated computers are the Hydrospace Explorer, DeltaP VR2, VR3 and URM, and the Shearwater Pursuit, either with single or tripple cells. The URM has a HUD, the Shearwater can be had with one.

Make sure you inquire that they actually work with SCR, how the pO2 will be displayed, and how the computer will calculate. SCR usually use fO2 calculation, but the mix isn't quite fixed, unlike OC ... nor is the pO2 as flexible as it is in a CCR. The pO2 should be on the display at all times, not available by pressing a button IMHO (more so considering the high prices for any of these).

Uwatec used to make the Aladin ZO2 that can be combined with a wireless pressure sensor for OC and an Oxy2 dual O2 cell sending unit for SCR. Designed for the Dolphin, it can be used with a TecMe adapter on the Azi. The computer displays both fO2 and pO2 of the loop, it was perfect for SCR application. Unfortunately Uwatec ceased production of them. They can found second hand though. Consider Scubapro/Uwatec's spotty battery replacement policies on old computers, and don't get the older XO2 for which batteries are no longer available.

rEvo's daddy
    paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers's Avatar
    rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by caveseeker7  View Original Post
    Integration of an O2 sensor can be accomplished either by using a P-port connector from Dräger in the inhalation bag as you mention
    hello
    mounting cells inside a breathing bag, without proper fixation for the cells and no possibility to avoid moister on the cell faces, is always difficult, and never gives perfect results.
    do not forget that a breathing bag collects water, and at some time water will always end up somewhere in the O2 sensor: imagine, each time you inhale deep, you 'vacuum', and 'wrap' the bag around anything inside that bad, and water inside that bag will be forced into objects into the bag!

for units with completely free moving breathing bags (azi, dolphin, subm, ida..) I always advise to use a 'cell housing' and not to let cells dangle around in the bag

regards
    paul
    www.rEvo-rebreathers.com
    ...."Yes you have to pre-breathe to activate the scrubber sorb, anyone who says different doesn't know what they are talking about!"...
    .... to get more accurate CO2 injection in the breathing machine we put 2 mass flow controllers in series ...
    .... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...
    .... radial scrubbers give longer dwell time than axials...
    .... the earth is flat and ...

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

I use a Shearwater Pursuit with HUD

The HUD displays real time PP02 on all three cells so if i lose the wrist unit i can stay on loop.

Its not cheep but it does Deco as well and it is a complete replacement head for the KISS so i can keep the original KISS as a last ditch spare.

The Pursuit has has a few bug fixes but apart from these simple on line updates I have no reason to doubt it will be as solid as my old Shearwater GF, and that was very reliable.

I believe price wise it compares well with the VR3 option when purchases with a new VR3.

HOWEVER I believe the new VR3s are coming out with a bailout option on deco????

What a clever idea :D

Are you listening Bruce :) ;)

ATB

Mark Chase

Supporting Member kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone's Avatar
    Classic Kiss Hammerhead

Sport Kiss Hammerhead

Don't forget the Hammer Head secondary
    it has a hud "Diva" and now has deco as a option.
    Have fun
    Kevin

RBW Member Bosh is an unknown quantity at this point Bosh's Avatar
    Atlantis mCCR

2 gas Atlantis SCR, Homebuilt

I dive a Dolphin with an Uwatec computer.

For SCR use a computer showing oxygen percentage aswell as partial pressure is good.

I wouldnt mind a HUD.
    The rEVO dream has an SCR mode for the HUD, which must be good as the po2 varies a lot more on SCR as compared to CCR. So a CCR HUD might act funny on a SCR.

Best regards

Bo