+ Reply to Thread

Thread: IDA71/FGG/FGT Buoyancy & trim

digital nomad GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM's Avatar
    Hyperion pSCR

IDA71, HomeBuilts, Ray, RGU/FM

IDA71/FGG/FGT Buoyancy & trim

I have finnished some upgrades to my IDA71 KISS rig and after 5+h diving in the new configuration there are some things I would like to discuss.

Most Russian IDAs like the German FGG/FGT rigs have the CL(s) back-mounted inside the case and on the top part of the rig. This naturally makes you more buoyant in that area giving you a "less than perfect" trim u/w.

To combat that, I have added 4kg inside the case, on the top part where the CL is. Using an old Buddy Commando, I still was not getting the trim I wanted so I decided to switch to a #45 Oxycheq wing which is oval shaped rather than the classic "U".

Buoyancy is much improved and I am very happy with the trim in this new config. The only (slight) drawback is that I now do not use any weights with a 5mm wetsuit because the unit is too negative. This means I have nothing to ditch in an emergency unless I dive dry. I posted a couple of pics in the Gallery.

I am curious to see what other IDA/FGG/FGT RB divers are doing. Do you have any suggestions on how to improve balance even further?

GKAM

Subsea Systems koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai's Avatar
    Hi GKAM,

I used to have an FGG, and had good trim using a Dive-Rite TranspacII and Dual Rec-Wing. I also added two 3 lb weights to the inside top of the unit, between the lungs and the case.

Regards,
    Jason.

+ Reply to Thread