+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A better ADV & shut off ?

RBW Member colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky's Avatar
    rEvo III micro FT

Inspiration Vision, rEvo II Hy

Question A better ADV & shut off ?

Hi
    Is there a better adv & shut off valve than that offered by ap on the inspo if so who's & were ? Just wondering as I need to tell them what I want before long

New Member LukeN is on a distinguished road LukeN is on a distinguished road LukeN's Avatar
    Zeagle do nice one as do http://www.omniswivel.com/products.html (used on the Meg)

Luke

Scuba Imports Australia Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris's Avatar
    rEVO III rMS

Inspo, Kiss, Prism, Meg, Pos

I am using the Zeagle Isolator valve on the PRISM, I tried an AP, and it just leaked

Zeagle one

Zeagle one is about half the size of the AP, I believe Apeks do the same as well.

Cheers
    Chris

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar
    I think you will find all the shut off valve designs are the same (same concept of sliding o-ring) so there wont be any real difference between any of them.

I have an AP one and a Zeagle that Ive been using for over 2 years, neither have ever been serviced - both work fine. I preffer the AP one as it has a longer stroke which makes it easier to feel the position/use with gloves.

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

Quote Originally Posted by colinicky
    Hi
    Is there a better adv & shut off valve than that offered by ap on the inspo if so who's & were ? Just wondering as I need to tell them what I want before long
    AP one leaks too easily.. The apeks one works better but needs routine rebuilds.. The most reliable one I have found are those sold by Oxycheq.. They have two versions. The original version that head a heavy barrel (a bit tight when used with the AP adv) and the slimline version..

another point to note the oxycheq version (manufactured by mj) works in a more logical manner, the isolator slid towards the device allows gas flow (think connect to source), operated away from desitination device cuts off gas flow (thing break connection)
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

RBW Member Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jradomski
    AP one leaks too easily.. The apeks one works better but needs routine rebuilds.. The most reliable one I have found are those sold by Oxycheq.. They have two versions. The original version that head a heavy barrel (a bit tight when used with the AP adv) and the slimline version..

another point to note the oxycheq version (manufactured by mj) works in a more logical manner, the isolator slid towards the device allows gas flow (think connect to source), operated away from desitination device cuts off gas flow (thing break connection)
    Where as I go for pull towards to shut off cause thats the one I want to be able to do in a hurry.

The Apeks one doesn't fit the APD ADV, you need to go for a slimline one.

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

Quote Originally Posted by Beanie
    Where as I go for pull towards to shut off cause thats the one I want to be able to do in a hurry.

The Apeks one doesn't fit the APD ADV, you need to go for a slimline one.
    There is almost no need to ever "need to do in a hurry"..

The only only think I can think of is a catostropic failure during descent even that an be rectified by shutting down the dil (maybe even faster than sliding the swithch)..

I teach my student to shut the Adv off once they reach dept.. this way they have better control of the breathing bags volume.. Most emergency skills like running SCR can be done much more effectively using the manual inflators instead of the adv..
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

RBW Member Phil has a spectacular aura about Phil has a spectacular aura about Phil has a spectacular aura about Phil has a spectacular aura about Phil has a spectacular aura about Phil has a spectacular aura about Phil's Avatar
    rEvo, Sentinel, Ouroboros

Inspiration, Megalodon,

I have been using an APEKS shut-off with AP ADV for the last 2 years without any problem. The only issue I can think off is that sometimes the groves on the APEKS handle get stuck in the T. I only need to lift up a little the APEKS and then I can slide it without problem.

RBW Member Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    I have been using an APEKS shut-off with AP ADV for the last 2 years without any problem. The only issue I can think off is that sometimes the groves on the APEKS handle get stuck in the T. I only need to lift up a little the APEKS and then I can slide it without problem.
    that and it push the feed stem out from the ADV body.

well according to Mike at APD when he saw mine anyway :D

PFO free :) pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning is just really nice pchanning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jradomski
    *snip* Most emergency skills like running SCR can be done much more effectively using the manual inflators instead of the adv..
    unless one should have a Co2 hit, in which case breathing open loop might just be about all one can do. Saved Mikes life IIRC.

Just playing Devils Advocate Joe. I'm interested as I suffer the same problems as everyone else. Sometimes the ADV leaks and I try using the isolater (which sods law usually rings true and it wont work). This is only really noticable in the shallows as I realise that I'm bleeding through lots of gas. In this case I have to shut the pillar valve which is OK as I always have seperate suit inflation. If not, one would have to recover a partial runaway descent using o2. As I always dive dry with seperate suit inflation I dont suffer this circumstance so I dont know. Just an observation.

However on one of my first CC dives, I jumped in negative and the ADV isolater was on AND working. I fumbled like pig to get to it. I finally managed to hit the manual inflater at about 8m. Scared the crap out of me.

cheers

Paul

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast