+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: New Shearwater Research Inc. Pricing

Choose Freedom - UKIP Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby's Avatar

Re: New Shearwater Research Inc. Pricing

Perhaps the USA has become used to a high dollar ? It's been at a fairly static value for a very long time but now it is falling back to more realistic levels and it must have come as a shock.

Here in "Rip-off Britain" we are over-charged for pretty much everything. It's perfectly normal to see a usa$100 item sell here for £100 and the better (for us) exchange rate hasn't changed that. The price of petrol has gone from about £0.95 per litre to about 1.06 per litre so filling my 10gal tank costs over $90

I think the dollar will only really recover properly once the USA cuts back on it's oil use, not very likely.

Changing exchange rates and higher oil prices have all sorts of knock-on effects and Bruce has to alter his pricing to stay in profit as his costs increase.

RBW Member mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot's Avatar

Currency exchanges change hourly, daily, etc...

I travel, well, a lot. Many of the retailers in some of the countries I travel to accept multiple currencies, and it is a scam at best. I never pay US dollars in foreign countries, because what happens is that the retailer sets his own exchange rate, and guess what, it's in his favor. He has just jerked a few more pennies, dollars, or manats from me because he is running his own exchange.

The cost structure is in Canadian dollars for the Shearwater. The retail should be in Canadian as well. Let the world monetary exchanges solve the rest. To say they need to sell in US dollars is BS. Sorry. When I use my credit card to make a purchase like that, I get the end of the day exchange rate.

I hate to say this, and it may not be the intention but it is the perception, that by selling in US dollars and then adjusting it based on how much profit one must clear in Canadian is crap.

Bruce,

I was in the market for a Pursuit. We were just talking about it last night over dinner. The purchase will be made sometime in the next 6 months. But, your pricing scheme doesn't sit well with me. Are you going to adjust your website pricing every day? I'll pay the same as a Canadian, in Canadian dollars, but I won't be penalized due to some homemade exchange rate.

Eric

RBW Member mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scubascooby  View Original Post
    I think the dollar will only really recover properly once the USA cuts back on it's oil use, not very likely.
    Here's an interesting statistic (how about them apples):

Oil Consumption per Capita by Country

(Billion Barrels Per Day Per 1000 People)

US 68.8
    Canada 68.7
    UK 30.1

quoted (NationMaster - Oil > Consumption (per capita) (most recent) by country)
    Last edited by mempilot; 18th January 2008 at 16:34.

"Two Sheds" Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos's Avatar
    JJ Rebreather

Classic Kiss

Quote Originally Posted by mempilot  View Original Post
    I was in the market for a Pursuit. We were just talking about it last night over dinner. The purchase will be made sometime in the next 6 months. But, your pricing scheme doesn't sit well with me. Are you going to adjust your website pricing every day? I'll pay the same as a Canadian, in Canadian dollars, but I won't be penalized due to some homemade exchange rate.
    Could you and Bruce mutually agree an exchange rate and pay him like that?

TBH, I know people in the UK who price their goods in Euros because that's where their market is, so I can understand Bruce's position. Afterall, if he lived on a remote island somewhere producing his computers I wouldn't expect him to price in fish!

Janos

Quote Originally Posted by Janos  View Original Post
    Could you and Bruce mutually agree an exchange rate and pay him like that?

TBH, I know people in the UK who price their goods in Euros because that's where their market is, so I can understand Bruce's position. Afterall, if he lived on a remote island somewhere producing his computers I wouldn't expect him to price in fish!

Janos
    So is paying Canadian dollars equivical to being paid in fish?

RBW Member S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc's Avatar
    Revo II Micro and BMR500

Classic Kiss

Quote Originally Posted by mempilot  View Original Post
    So is paying Canadian dollars equivical to being paid in fish?
    Up until about 4 months ago :)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3