+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: First play on a rEvo

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

First play on a rEvo

Divings blown so we pop down to Wrays-puddle to train and try to do some video for a Solus write up.

I wanted Vobster or Stony but we were tight on time so Wraysbury it was. Good news is its local to Andyp so he popped down with his rEvo so i did my crossover course ;)

Tap this to calibrate

yeah yeah

delay and zero reading for forth cell

yeah yeah

Dill?

Yeah

o2?

Yeah

Got it?

Yeah OK I am off.

First think is how comfortable it is. Its much longer than the KISS so no block of wood required or silly leaning back maneuver to kit up. Once up it felt light which it shouldn't with the extra 3 on the side and 4KG of lead it should feel about the same but it felt light. The weight was beautifully distributed across the back. Andrew doesn't like the harness but I thought it was fine.

Dangly displays now thats a blast from the past. Tucked inside the harness they were OK but they are going to annoy me. Actual PP02 readout is excellent very clear but I would like to see all three at once. I quickly slipped back into Inspo Classic mode by picking up both hand sets at once to check PP02

The mouthpiece felt a little odd but it was comfortable and i realy liked the neck strap but i couldn't get too attached to it because it had to go and be replaced by a decent BOV. The loop hoses seemed somehow retro from some world war two 02 re breather. They realy didn't look up to the job of trimix type diving but i was about to be proved wrong.

The open closed of the mouthpiece was very stiff and a definate two handed opp, but hell, your throwing that bit away right? And a Golum works fine.

On land the o2 and dill buttons were a little difficult to get at, but once in the water they were no trouble at all.

The wing inflate was too short for under arm, it had no pull dump and as a result it sat annoyingly under the breathing loop on my right shoulder. Once I let go on decent i struggled to find it again and ended up running the suit for buoyancy.

But any minor issues melted away the second I got under the water. I hit flat trim almost immediately. a couple of hand flaps because i nearly overcooked it (because i am used to forcing the KISS over into flat) and there i was rock solid at three meters.

Breathing resistance was fantastic. wayyyyyyy better than my KISS but that may be something to do with my unit as Janos didn't think it was that special. I breathed all three units after and still maintain the rEvo is the best but Janos's KISS is better than my one.

The hand sets dangled away annoying me immensely but the 02 button was easy to get at with my right hand. Bloody imposable with my left hand thow so Id have to re think my scootering and torch position to leave my right hand free to inject.

I did wonder how id cope with getting at the button with bailout stages left right and a computer on my wrist. I could see it being a tad annoying, but not annoying enough to put me off the unit. It felt small and compact and ever so light in the water. Finning was easy, backward finning was easy and body positing didn't seem to affect the WOB as much as it does on the KISS.

I got out of the water buzzing with pleasure after the dive and if Paul had been there with a unit in a crate Id have bought it on the spot. I loved it that much.

However having calmed down a bit, I can be a little more subjective. To dive in terms of comfort trim and WOB, its the best CCR I have tried ever. Including the Inspo Evo. However the dangly hand sets are a pain in the arse and the displays whilst beautifully clear are annoying too. It nicer to have side by side PP02 so you can see how the cells are working and compare them.

The HUD was not intuitive. I am sure id get used to it but I just ignored it in the end because it was too close to my mask to focus on and a tad too low as well. Some modding required, but not a big issue.

The position of the 02 button I can see driving me round the bend. I learned to scooter right handed and it just feels odd doing it left handed. Aside form that the handle would be all wrong on X Scooter. Same with laying line. I do that with my right hand. Goodmas handle torch and reel in right hand and i use my left hand to inject 02.

It goes without saying id like a BOV on there but Id also want a more modern wrist mounted display. The rEvo ones are a little clunky and odd.

Soooooooo my 2p is ill wait for the Shearwater version. With a Shearwater wrist unit, KISS valve and parachute electronics please. Ill have a rEvo display as a back up i can tuck away somewhere but i don't want to use it as a primary display.

Have a chat with GOLUM and stick a BOV on it and It will be a very impressive unit.

Now about that f###ng cross over course

ATB

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Chase; 30th November 2007 at 23:34.

Randy Thornton Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict's Avatar
    Hammerhead Sentinel Evolution

Optima Inspiration Prism 2

Re: First play on a rEvo

Great write up Mark. Sounds like you're impressed overall with the unit. Could be a new purchase in the near future?!!!!:)

Wow, you touched on all the same positives and negatives (O2 button, trim)that I had worked out in my head even with wanting to see the shearwater unit. Nice write up, from what others have said the HUDs are suppose to almost be the only thing you dive from so maybe that would solve the handset problems.

Russ

I didn't like the dangly monitors either. I've strapped the left side dream to my arm (pulled the spg mount off and added some plastic spiral wrap to the cords. Opened up the dream case and rotated the display, spg now resides laced through shoulder d ring with a shorter hose). The cable lays down your arm basically like a kiss, I laced some bungee through the spg mount screw holes, and poked holes in the rubber protector to run bungee through. I changed the setup so that 2 cells read on the left, and one cell reads on the right.

The right dream still has orig configuration, I just added a bolt snap and changed its position. I run it under my arm and attach to a small d ring on my harness.

I planned on making a mount for my computer that would attach to the left dream ... but scrapped that idea. I will be purchasing the pursuit controller, and will refine my setup farther from that.

Oh yea ... and to appease my instructor / revo's daddy, I did around 30 hrs on the unit before I started messing with stuff ... I know you wanted 50, but I couldn't help myself :D

RBW Member Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1's Avatar
    ybod

Quote Originally Posted by MM71  View Original Post

Oh yea ... and to appease my instructor / revo's daddy, I did around 30 hrs on the unit before I started messing with stuff ... I know you wanted 50, but I couldn't help myself :D

ha ha Mr chase would have it in bits in about 3hrs ,,, ;)

Supporting Member Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli's Avatar
    rEvoMicro w.hybrid&dsix stand

rEvoII fullsize

mark,

paul has an offboard dil add kit thats basically an inspo button that sits on you shoulder and shoots whatever gas into the exhale lung via pport. this gets you around the ip issue for deep, o2 supply issue long and would probaly get around you scooter hand issue as well.

paul just put it out to the owners via email, im sure theres a pic somewhere.
    Marv

fidelis Ad Mortem

Banned MB is an unknown quantity at this point MB's Avatar

Nice writeup!

Tuck the handsets under your cross-chest strap and forget them. Once you tune into the HUD you'll pick up the left one "a few times a dive' and the right one... probably never if the HUD is OK.

You should not see "zero" on the 4th cell. If the 4th is not used, there is a setup mode to disable that cell so it's not being polled.

It does trim nice, eh?

Pete Piemonte also scooters, and I'm making him up a chest mounted manual 02 add valve so he can hit it while right handed scootering. I'l do the same myself (as soon as I get a scooter sorted).

Dave
    Last edited by MB; 1st December 2007 at 03:16.

rEvo's daddy
    paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers's Avatar
    rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase  View Original Post
    However having calmed down a bit, I can be a little more subjective. To dive in terms of comfort trim and WOB, its the best CCR I have tried ever. Including the Inspo Evo. However the dangly hand sets are a pain in the arse and the displays whilst beautifully clear are annoying too. It nicer to have side by side PP02 so you can see how the cells are working and compare them.

The HUD was not intuitive. I am sure id get used to it but I just ignored it in the end because it was too close to my mask to focus on and a tad too low as well. Some modding required, but not a big issue.

The position of the 02 button I can see driving me round the bend. I learned to scooter right handed and it just feels odd doing it left handed. Aside form that the handle would be all wrong on X Scooter. Same with laying line. I do that with my right hand. Goodmas handle torch and reel in right hand and i use my left hand to inject 02.

It goes without saying id like a BOV on there but Id also want a more modern wrist mounted display. The rEvo ones are a little clunky and odd.

Soooooooo my 2p is ill wait for the Shearwater version. With a Shearwater wrist unit, KISS valve and parachute electronics please. Ill have a rEvo display as a back up i can tuck away somewhere but i don't want to use it as a primary display.

Have a chat with GOLUM and stick a BOV on it and It will be a very impressive unit.

Now about that f###ng cross over course

ATB

Mark
    hi mark, you finally got one on your back

dangling issues: fix both under your shest band (tall people) or waist band (smaller people, mini version)

manual injection, like al said, there is an offboard set available (can also be used as inboard) if you want it on the front

shearwater... coming, either pursuit computer, either controller

BOV .. w're thinking VERY HARD but if we make it, it must be... the best so give us some time

regards
    paul

ps.. and the rEvodreams look a bit dunky and odd... but they resist 55 bar.. in the pressure pot
    Last edited by paulraymaekers; 1st December 2007 at 08:24.
    www.rEvo-rebreathers.com
    ...."Yes you have to pre-breathe to activate the scrubber sorb, anyone who says different doesn't know what they are talking about!"...
    .... to get more accurate CO2 injection in the breathing machine we put 2 mass flow controllers in series ...
    .... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...
    .... radial scrubbers give longer dwell time than axials...
    .... the earth is flat and ...

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by paulraymaekers  View Original Post
    hi mark, you finally got one on your back

dangling issues: fix both under your shest band (tall people) or waist band (smaller people, mini version)

manual injection, like al said, there is an offboard set available (can also be used as inboard) if you want it on the front

shearwater... coming, either pursuit computer, either controller

BOV .. w're thinking VERY HARD but if we make it, it must be... the best so give us some time

regards
    paul

ps.. and the rEvodreams look a bit dunky and odd... but they resist 55 bar.. in the pressure pot

I did have the displays under the chest band

Off board inject system should be standard but its nice to know one is available direct.

Very Very pleased to hear about the Shearwater

Dont be proud just take a leef out of KJs book and use the Golum its done the R&D and the field testing for you and will be a selling + point. They have a new small one which could be ideal.

However apart from that its a cracking unit, well done.

ATB

Mark

PS 55bar? am i right in thinking thats 450m? Thats a lot. Should prety much cover most of the diving id do on the Revo :D
    Last edited by Mark Chase; 1st December 2007 at 10:11.

rEvo's daddy
    paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers's Avatar
    rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase  View Original Post

PS 55bar? am i right in thinking thats 450m? Thats a lot. Should prety much cover most of the diving id do on the Revo :D
    tja, metric and imperial...

55 bar... 540 meter

regards
    paul
    www.rEvo-rebreathers.com
    ...."Yes you have to pre-breathe to activate the scrubber sorb, anyone who says different doesn't know what they are talking about!"...
    .... to get more accurate CO2 injection in the breathing machine we put 2 mass flow controllers in series ...
    .... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...
    .... radial scrubbers give longer dwell time than axials...
    .... the earth is flat and ...