+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How much oxygene does a uncounsious diver use per minute?

RBW Member nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh's Avatar

Re: How much oxygene does a uncounsious diver use per minute?

Quote Originally Posted by Edvin M  View Original Post
    Regarding your blood O2 level, I did some reading about freediving medice where people where using O2 meters to check blood O2 level and they were in the area of <95% so apparently you will continue to have a high level of O2 in your blood which brings my metabolic down to 0.2 l/minute.
    There seem to be two schools of thought in freediving medicine circles that a samba is either caused by oxygen lack or CO2 build-up. As a rebreather diver, and hence properly neurotic about CO2, I tend to favour the latter but I'm a physicist not a biologist. The test for me has always been the fact that I have run my blood hemoglobin down to blue and not blacked out but never seen blue lips on a sambaing freediver. I just can't see how they are low on oxygen at that point. The fact that all you have to do is grab them and they come round also perplexes me. It should be getting worse with the delay which ever it is but it gets better.

Your point on CO2 tolerance. Yes it is a key trick freediving but it is the thing that will kill us as in the limit we samba and need support.

Quote Originally Posted by jepuskar  View Original Post
    Please go away. We're trying to have an adult conversation here.

RBW Member Edvin M will become famous soon enough Edvin M will become famous soon enough Edvin M will become famous soon enough Edvin M will become famous soon enough Edvin M's Avatar
    Homebuilt

Dude, seriously...quit holding your breath and quit blacking out. I think some brain cells have been damaged over the testing period.

:)
    Where do you want to come with these two post? I have two black out's and both happend when I was pushing myself a bit to far and I DONT BLACK FOR FUN.

Freediving is fun and there is alot of security behind it. We have support divers that knows exactly what to do in case of an emergency.

RBW Member jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar's Avatar

Edvin, your posts make it seem like you black out often just to do it and that is where I see the humor. I will go away now, seeing you are trying to have an adult conversation.

Resident bibliophile Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs's Avatar
    Megalodon

Old thread, new addition

I know this is an old thread but we have just received permission from the South Pacific Underwater Medicine Society (SPUMS) to include their journal in our Repository. The addition of their collection is huge since it covers well over 30 years of scientific work. The early issues are more of a newsletter format and it later progressed to the amazing medical journal that exists today. Anyway... I added this paper last night and thought it added an interesting point of view for this thread (though not exactly what is being discussed, just interesting...).

Harpur, GD. Ninety Second Deep Scuba Rescue. (reprinted from NAUI News Jan. 1974) SPUMS 1975 Vol 5 Number 1. RRR ID: 5800
    Last edited by Gene_Hobbs; 26th January 2008 at 18:57. Reason: interesting anyway...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2