+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How much oxygene does a uncounsious diver use per minute?

RBW Member Edvin M will become famous soon enough Edvin M will become famous soon enough Edvin M will become famous soon enough Edvin M will become famous soon enough Edvin M's Avatar
    Homebuilt

How much oxygene does a uncounsious diver use per minute?

Hi!
    Does anyone know how much oxygene a uncounsious diver use per minute?

I calculated that when I hold my breath for about 6 minutes which is my record I have about 6 liters of air in my lungs which equals 1.3 litres of pure O2 and about the same amount stored in my blodd and my vesseln, I know that i blackout at about 4-5 percent so that leaves my with a use of 0.4 liters of O2 per minute. Should be something like that or perhaps even much lower?

Nicholas Smith Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo's Avatar
    Megalodon

Re: How much oxygene does a uncounsious diver use per minute?

I'm not sure where you are trying to go with this. Bear in mind I'm not a doctor or biologist. Obviously, a diver metabolises 1 litre/min of oxygen, though there is some oxygen in the lungs and bloodstream. However, if he is not getting that then the body uses the less efficient anaerobic respiration to generate energy, producing lactic acid. In cold water, bradycardia slows the heart by as much as 50% and vasoconstriction shuts down the peripheries to concentrate blood in the critical organs to maintain life. People have been known to survive 15 minutes or more unconscious in cold water, but it is best not to count on this.
    Last edited by Abbo; 28th November 2007 at 00:11.

Normal people worry me jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edvin M  View Original Post
    Hi!
    Does anyone know how much oxygene a uncounsious diver use per minute?
    Don't know about divers. But there is plenty of data in the litterature about sleeping or uncounsious adults. A quick search seems to yield some thing like 0.2-0.3 lpm which sounds reasonable.

Some rough couch experimenting I did breathing a small loop O2-rb tuning the O2-flow yielded about 0.4 lpm O2 for me relaxing in a couch watching TV.

Dive Junkie Dave O is a glorious beacon of light Dave O is a glorious beacon of light Dave O is a glorious beacon of light Dave O is a glorious beacon of light Dave O is a glorious beacon of light Dave O is a glorious beacon of light Dave O is a glorious beacon of light Dave O is a glorious beacon of light Dave O is a glorious beacon of light Dave O is a glorious beacon of light Dave O is a glorious beacon of light Dave O's Avatar
    KISS Classic

Kiss Spirit, Sidekick, GEM

Quote Originally Posted by jaap  View Original Post
    Don't know about divers. But there is plenty of data in the litterature about sleeping or uncounsious adults. A quick search seems to yield some thing like 0.2-0.3 lpm which sounds reasonable.

Some rough couch experimenting I did breathing a small loop O2-rb tuning the O2-flow yielded about 0.4 lpm O2 for me relaxing in a couch watching TV.
    Humm, watching TV, does that assume the brain is completely non functional?

Alias - Ray Mansell kiwi_diver will become famous soon enough kiwi_diver will become famous soon enough kiwi_diver will become famous soon enough kiwi_diver's Avatar
    AKA-60 Orca SCR

Quote Originally Posted by jaap  View Original Post
    ... breathing a small loop O2-rb tuning the O2-flow yielded about 0.4 lpm O2 for me relaxing in a couch watching TV...
    JAAP, that don't say much for the quality of Swedish TV ;)... Begs the question, "would it be any higher if you were reading a Henning Mankell novel...??"

Ray.

RBW Member jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar's Avatar

Dude, seriously...quit holding your breath and quit blacking out. I think some brain cells have been damaged over the testing period.

:)

Normal people worry me jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap is a name known to all jaap's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_diver  View Original Post
    JAAP, that don't say much for the quality of Swedish TV ;)... Begs the question, "would it be any higher if you were reading a Henning Mankell novel...??"

Ray.
    No idea, could give it at try. Have seen those books laying around on, like on her side of the bed.

RBW Member nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edvin M  View Original Post
    I calculated that when I hold my breath for about 6 minutes which is my record I have about 6 liters of air in my lungs which equals 1.3 litres of pure O2 and about the same amount stored in my blodd and my vesseln, I know that i blackout at about 4-5 percent so that leaves my with a use of 0.4 liters of O2 per minute. Should be something like that or perhaps even much lower?
    Six minutes is impressive, I'm guessing that wasn't face down in the water where I am pushed to exceed three.

Breath hold diving isn't really controlled by O2 but CO2. I've done a big breath hold with a cheap O2 sensor and the blood at my fingertip didn't drop significantly below 98% saturated.

Also I have been accused of a samba freediving, I overdid it badly on a 'Free immersion' dive to 25m and was grabbed by the safety diver as I hit the surface, and the lips weren't blue but when I had a medical problem I have gone to the "His lips have gone blue!" point and there's no discomfort. However in neither case did I have the presence of mind to hitch myself up to a blood oxygen checker so no numbers...

RBW Member Edvin M will become famous soon enough Edvin M will become famous soon enough Edvin M will become famous soon enough Edvin M will become famous soon enough Edvin M's Avatar
    Homebuilt

[quote=nigelh;153964]Six minutes is impressive, I'm guessing that wasn't face down in the water where I am pushed to exceed three.

Breath hold diving isn't really controlled by O2 but CO2. I've done a big breath hold with a cheap O2 sensor and the blood at my fingertip didn't drop significantly below 98% saturated. [quote]

I dont really agree with you there, when I started to freedive my breathholding was controlled by CO2, I always gave up when I was getting to heavy "need-to-breath" feelings but after a while I conquered them and could hold my breath until I blacked without a problem.

Regarding your blood O2 level, I did some reading about freediving medice where people where using O2 meters to check blood O2 level and they were in the area of <95% so apparently you will continue to have a high level of O2 in your blood which brings my metabolic down to 0.2 l/minute.

So the figures Jaap stated should be correct.

RBW Member jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar's Avatar

"I always gave up when I was getting to heavy "need-to-breath" feelings but after a while I conquered them and could hold my breath until I blacked without a problem."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast